Word of the year 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jess, great word.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Jody- I actually filled out something on a generic schools website today, just doing some research, and got a phone call. Unfortunately they couldn't find anything in my area for what i'm looking for but i'm going to do some looking of my own. I have a B.A. in Psychology and there are programs where you can get a Master's in Teaching that allows you to get a teaching certificate and enables you to teach with a degree in something other than education. I'm looking into that at the moment, but i'm keeping my options open to other things as well. DH and I talked tonight about the possibility of accounting. I'm looking at going back to school for a different degree. That is my first step at the moment.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I love reading your words and reasons behind them. My word for 2018 is Rebuild. My word for 2017 is broken. I wanted walls to be broken. I sat with people in their brokenness which was very difficult at first. I found out just how broken I am. Now, it's time to rebuild with a firm foundation. Lots to think on this right now.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I was googling for some ideas when a Forbes article came up, with the word 'Space'. Ugh I thought, I had been going along the lines of "Focus", etc. in regard to work.

Then I took the dog outside and it was like "SPACE". And how many angles to that word.

- I am trying to make more clear space in my house.
- I would like to have a more beautiful space in my house to live in.
- I spent last Friday creating space at my office so I could focus, lol.
- I would like to make more space in my life for fun, joy, things I want to do, more balance with my job.
- My outdoor space is sadly needing lots of TLC and this is the time before it gets too hot.
- Very important, creating more space in my life for just me and DH as my job has kind of taken over.

Funny how inspired it is getting me.

I feel like my word last year was good for getting through the year and through all the projects at work. But at a heavy toll on my mental state (stress!), my life at home (mess/time away from DH), etc. I feel like a success just getting through to today, which is sad way to live! lol.

So Space, with all the possibilities is my word for 2018!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Robin - that is a really good word. So many ways to apply it. Good Thoughts!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Hey Mel, we have picked the same word. Isn't it great when a word speaks to you.
I hope that your new year is a great one, looking forward to following your journey.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've been thinking and I haven't done a word for the past few years - although last year's should have been "move out of your comfort zone" or "reconnect with people you haven't seen in a long time."

Well, this year it's going to be "Divest". It will mean get rid of stuff - my DS will be thrilled - and also hopefully bad feelings and thoughts and anything else that is keeping me back.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Debbie, great word. I think when a word "speaks" to us we have a better chance of sticking with it.
Good luck with your word this year.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have decided to change my word, I know we are only 8 days into January but I feel my goal of connecting will fit better under the words Be Intentional. I will be intentional on reconnecting with old friends, which I just did tonight on Facebook. To meet my goal for connection will take intention. A planner I just ordered says on the cover Be Filled Be Intentional. The planner has lots of room for notes, monthly calendar, and weekly/daily place to keep track of you of water, exercise reading, and anything else. Plus a place for menu, and to do list and appointments to write in and cross off when completed. I am very excited about it and will start using it right away.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, I think that it is great that you have changed your word to one that speaks to you more clearly. Love that you are already "living" your word.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have changed my word to TIME. Perhaps this is because I don't seem to have enough of it or maybe because I need to make better use of what time I have. Who knows.

I have the entire year to figure it out.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Half way through the first month of the new year and I am doing well with my word.
My planner is full of ideas and plans (lol) for the next few months. Feeling great at this early stage. I know that inevitably it will ebb off.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm a little late on choosing a word, because I couldn't settle on one with which I was comfortable, but "becoming" spoke to me the other day from out of the blue as I was thinking on other things. It was thoughts of my hair, of all things, that brought it to me. It's been a year since I started having my hair colored by my hair dresser, but I've decided to let it grow and not color it. My thoughts of it were to "just let it become what it is." That's when the word becoming hit me. It seems I've spent too much time trying to do and be what others thought I should be or expected of me, so I've decided to become myself, whatever that brings. There are some things I will change and some things I will keep the same, because I like them that way. We'll see where this journey leads this year.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
but "becoming" spoke to me the other day from out of the blue as I was thinking on other things. It was thoughts of my hair, of all things
Awesome word!

I'm 55, and I'm gray. I haven't ever tried to dye my hair. I thought I'd do it when I was 40. I did have premature gray strands. My mom's mother was white at 30, they say. But well, I was pregnant with DS at 40! And well, after that, I just never got around to it. For me ... I'm lazy. LOL I just know I'd never keep up with it ... I have longish thickish ... gray hair! :cool:

I never cut it for the first years of DS's life. Again ... just lazy, but also I kind of liked the unique look. I even had a biker dude comment on it once how he liked it! LOL :D Now, it's mid shoulder length. I still am too lazy or cheap to go have it done/cut ... I simply trim my bangs and the back.

Reactions: missjane

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
missjane. What a wonderful word and thoughts behind it. I think personally there is nothing more beautiful than grey hair. I just find the colour amazing. I am starting to get a few silver threads in my hair and look forward to many more.

Reactions: jampss and missjane

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Again ... just lazy, but also I kind of liked the unique look. I even had a biker dude comment on it once how he liked it! LOL :D .

If you received a compliment from a biker keep it like it is!!! How many people have this happen?!

Reactions: jampss and missjane

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Reactions: jampss

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'd let my hair go gray too but dh isn't sure.... it'll come to that because.... I'm lazy too :) :)

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I know we are more than half way through the month, but I have been contemplating my word, and reading all of your wonderful words and reasons. I have finally decided on my word....FORGIVENESS. This means so much to me, as I have been forgiven. I need to work on 1. forgiving myself and 2. forgiving others. I am often to hard on myself in many aspects. (I should have stayed up late to clean the house, I should have made a better dinner, I can't believe that I did....fill in the blank). I also have found, that during this time of contemplation, that I am harboring grudges and hanging on to way to many wrongs (perceived or otherwise) that others have done to me, so I just need to forgive and release. Perfect word for me in 2018...Forgiveness.

Last edited: