Word of the Year 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I needed a word that will EMBRACE all that I hope to accomplish this year.
I need to declutter & downsize, to let go of things I don't use, or don't need.
I need to find joy. It has been lacking in my life for too long.
I need to move more. Sit less.
I need more Non-Zero Days. (Thank you Diedra for sharing Non-Zero)
I need to adjust my expectations of life & what I thought it would be.
My word is EMBRACE.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need more Non-Zero Days. (Thank you Diedra for sharing Non-Zero)
I need to adjust my expectations of life & what I thought it would be.
My word is EMBRACE.
Thanks. I am loving it too. A different mind set.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm thinking my word for 2022 will be ENOUGH. (Thanks to @luludou for sharing the word list!)

I was inspired by this blog post after searching about the word.

These were on her list....some I changed or added, but this about covers it.

I hope to have enough….
  • dates with my husband to stay connected
  • laughs with my family
  • time with friends sharing our good, bad and ugly
  • focus to listen intently to others
  • food to fuel my body; not enough to fuel the free world!
  • exercise to make me aware I’m truly alive!
  • quiet time fueling my soul
  • patience with others and myself
I hope to recognize I have more than enough….
  • time as long as I manage it well
  • stuff if I choose wisely and only choose pieces I love
  • love if I choose to receive it!
  • freedom to choose when to say yes and when to say no!
  • compassion towards others.
I hope to remember that I am enough.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lisa- I love that so much for you!!
You made me LOL with the statement about the food- "Not enough to fuel the free world."

Laura- I, too, need to declutter and downsize. I have had a lot of my parent's stuff for almost 3 years now.
We can share that journey together.
And with my word, Consistent, it definitely includes moving more.

Annie

Last edited:

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I love these words for 2022. I lol’d too, about Lisa’s food comment.

I thought long and hard about Diedra’s non-zero days, and I will incorporate it and make 2022 somewhat productive. However, the word I have chosen is ”self-care.” I lose myself in caring for others, and I need to learn to take care of myself too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
However, the word I have chosen is ”self-care.” I lose myself in caring for others, and I need to learn to take care of myself too.
Deb, I love your word, and I think that it will be very relevant for you as you go through your journey with DH. I wish you well xoxox

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I heard something today that I know applies to me but thought I'd summarize here as well.
  • Life isn't all or nothing.
  • If you miss one day, it's ok. Just start the next day.
  • Look at your progress. Don't worry about perfection.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have been thinking long and hard over this one and each time I come back to Order! I need to bring order to the chaos that has become my life.

Order in my home (need to declutter, purge what we no longer need/want and get back to being organized and keeping a well stocked pantry/freezer)
Order in my career (this one is not as bad, time to purge out old papers and data files)
Order in my side business (need to get better at following up with my customers, scheduling and planning)
Order in my personal life (stop allowing toxic people to take up space in my heart, thoughts and life, even if they are "family") and to pencil in more me time (somthing my DH gets on me about, says I do not take enough time out for me)
Order in my health (get back to working out and going to the gym, eating better)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I love hearing everyone's goals and ideas for next year.
Like Mel I have chosen Health. My emotional and physical health has taken a beating last year and needs to be brought back to focus. Currently we are good financially however I do need to pay down bills and continue towards our goal to move. I know if I find a new job out of this company I will likely take a pay cut so DH and I being more mindful of our spending (eating out vs cooking while 8s also bad physically) and buying stuff just because (adding to house clutter also).

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Order in my personal life (stop allowing toxic people to take up space in my heart, thoughts and life, even if they are "family"
That is one that I've struggled with for years. My toxic people are some elderly folks in my family. It's a struggle because I'm supposed to "honor" them. But I recently read something to the effect that if the elderly people in my family are doing something to me that is also dishonoring to God than why would I want to honor those elders? It was the way it was worded that made sense to me and made me feel less guilty for putting space between me and them. I've always had a physical reaction to these people but now that I have a Fit Bit, my dh could see immediately how my heart rate escalated very high when they were around. So this is the first step into me releasing the guilt of not being around certain family members at holidays and other family functions.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I am sorry that some older people in your life are "toxic". A few years ago I realised that I was not a fan of my sister, she and her husband live totally different lives from my family and I decided that it was time to distance myself. It is a decision that I have not regretted.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I believe my word is: Renew. I have been a stay at home homeschooling mom ... and I have now graduated my second child ... so ... I am ready for something new. :)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I believe I'm going to choose "steady."

regular, even, and continuous in development, frequency, or intensity.

It makes me think of moving forward, maybe not always at the pace I want, but at least steady. I tend to get caught up in the perfection of things, being too critical of how well something is done instead of simply focusing on the progress that can be made if I just continue at a steady pace.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I came to check in tonight before midnight specifically to look at what everyone has chosen for their word of the year. This past year I chose Self-Preservation and can say I did everything I wanted to do and then some. I really had to step back from some relationships to focus on my health goals. My daughter and I came up with self-preservation because selfish sounded bad...lol, but honestly it's kinda what I had to do with my time to focus on myself.

This year I'm leaning towards "Strength". As I repair my body and continue to loose weight I need to regain strength. Focusing on that strength will not only allow me to feel better on a daily basis, but will allow me to do many of the things I haven't been able to do in a long time. I'd love to get back to camping and hiking consistently. I'd love to be able to do some of the home projects we are looking at this year while we remodel our home. I want to be in a good state to go with my kids and granddaughter to Disney World in a few years and be able to keep up. I want to get my body stronger so I can go off some of the pain meds I have to take daily to function. I've really thought about it and couldn't come up with another word that encompassed what I'm thinking about and wanting.

With that said, for a brief second I thought about "create". I really want to make time for my hobbies and crafting. Because we were shut in during 2020 I was able to focus on "creating" things more and I feel like I did NOTHING in 2021. Other than the ornament I made for the swap this summer, I didn't make a single Christmas gift this year. That may sound like something small, but it bothered me because I always make at least a few gifts. It's weird...I look back and think "where did my time go this year?". This board is a perfect example. I love being here and I it's been part of my life for years now, but I spend less and less time here, yet I seem to need it more than I did ever before. So maybe I'll also go with 2 words or just keep it as an unspoken sub category. ;)

I'm going to go comment on some of these post above now, because I'm reading some good stuff!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
That is one that I've struggled with for years. My toxic people are some elderly folks in my family. It's a struggle because I'm supposed to "honor" them. But I recently read something to the effect that if the elderly people in my family are doing something to me that is also dishonoring to God than why would I want to honor those elders? It was the way it was worded that made sense to me and made me feel less guilty for putting space between me and them. I've always had a physical reaction to these people but now that I have a Fit Bit, my dh could see immediately how my heart rate escalated very high when they were around. So this is the first step into me releasing the guilt of not being around certain family members at holidays and other family functions.
Mary, I can relate to this because I feel like I had to do this sorta thing the past year. Not exactly the same thing, but I had to step back from my roll as caretaker to multiple people in my life and like Katrina do not regret it. I've been an initiator the majority of my life in most relationships and it's wore me down. By stepping back I realized a couple of my closest relationships really are a one way street in a round about way. Maybe make a commitment to yourself to try it this coming year. Give yourself a time period and at the end see how you feel. I'm still working on how I'm going to proceed this coming year, but I needed it badly.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I love hearing everyone's goals and ideas for next year.
Like Mel I have chosen Health. My emotional and physical health has taken a beating last year and needs to be brought back to focus. Currently we are good financially however I do need to pay down bills and continue towards our goal to move. I know if I find a new job out of this company I will likely take a pay cut so DH and I being more mindful of our spending (eating out vs cooking while 8s also bad physically) and buying stuff just because (adding to house clutter also).
You can do it Shannon! The physical and emotional health go hand in hand for sure. Start with a few actions you know can help in the short term and once you feel confident in those actions, add another. Keep the word "health" in the forefront every day!!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I chose: Consistent

Especially in regards to health habits, I'm on, off, on, off. My goal is to string all those "on" times together.
Same goes for house pick up and other goals. Start, stop, start, stop.

Annie
I always say find your WHY and hopefully that will help with consistency. Goes for health, home, and soooo much more!!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
It is a very difficult and personal issue for many especially when we were raised to respect our elders. I am at the point now where i view respect as a 2 way street. Mental and emotional health is just as important as physical health. You have to do what is best for your health an happiness even if it is one step at a time.

Last edited: