Word of the year 2023

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've had mine in mind for awhile:
BIENVEILLANCE - Kindness / benevolence towards myself and towards other

Quote for the year: As she had plante so does she harvest ; such is the field of Karmas - Sri Guru Granth Sahib

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I've had mine in mind for awhile:
BIENVEILLANCE - Kindness / benevolence towards myself and towards other

Quote for the year: As she had plante so does she harvest ; such is the field of Karmas - Sri Guru Granth Sahib
Lucie in all the years I have watched "It's a Wonderful Life" , this is the first time I saw the sign on the wall that said. "All you can take with you is that which you've given away".....when I saw your word "benevolence".......I wanted to share that with you.

Laurie.
simplify

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
OK, I think I've got it. My word for 2023 will be metamorphosis. I want to do something different this year, to push my self to grow in a new-to-me direction, to develop into this latest phase of my life, to become who I konw I can be. I'm tired of the "widow" label and being lumped in with the "widow" friends, doing things as a "single, becuase she has no husband" group. It's become too comfortable. It's time for me to become a successful and important mature woman who can contribute equally, widowed or not. It's time to develop a broader circle of friends, move beyond my comfort zone, step out into my new life, and become who I want to be. I hope this doesn't sound too self-centered. It's just that it's time to shed my protective shell and spread my wings.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Also, sometimes when I am not wanting to eat out, if someone invites me to lunch, I'll say, "Why don't you bring your lunch here and we will find a quiet place to eat and visit. Or, we can meet in the park."
Adding on to what Annie has said, if it's a one on one meeting, I suggest to the person that we meet at a trail, walking path, etc. to socialize instead of sitting and eating. That's a win-win, exercise and socialize.

When it's two or more, I will offer to have people over for morning coffee and I usually have some simple cookie like those Goya brand Maria cookies or the Kedem tea biscuits. If someone is gluten free, then I will offer yogurt which I typically have on hand. If it's an ongoing monthly meeting, then I'll suggest everyone bring something to share. I just host with drinks.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My word for 2023 - Fearless. What a very scary word to put out here. There are certain fears that hold me back from being the best form of me. It's been easier to hide from my fears instead of facing my fears. The thing is, when I don't face those fears, I hand fear the power. I'm pretty much done with that. The only way to have less fear is to face the fears more often.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I think I have finally chosen my Word, on the first day of the new year. LOL I have been looking for a word that embodies the significance of time. With all the loss my family experienced in 2022, and the busyiness that never seemed to let up, it seemed fitting to find something to signify the need to slow down and respect Time itself and how precious and fleeting it really is. I have been struggling to find a Word that says what I need it to. I was texting with my mom this morning and she sent me a few words. One of which was Savor. I had been tossing around Stillness (which I still like and will keep as an underlying current, or second word). I looked up Savor and really liked the psychological definition and felt like it fit for what i'm wanting out of this year.

Savor: "In psychology, savoring the moment refers to intentionally focusing your attention on the positive aspects of an experience. 1 When you do this, you notice the sensations, perceptions, emotions, actions, and thoughts that are linked to a particular moment, event, or experience."

I will choose more wisely how I spend my time this year and with whom. I will not do things just because they are expected of me, but because I want to do them and it is the best choice for myself and my family. I will savor the time I spend with those I love and take note of the precious moments and how I feel within them. I will do more things that make me happy and less because of obligations, savoring each moment for what it is, even the sad ones. Even in grief and sadness, there can be light and joy.

Along with this, I will learn to be still when needed. Embracing stillness is difficult, but something I need to do for my own peace and well-being.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
WOTY: Direction
: a guiding, governing, or motivating purpose

I searched for 'Word of the Year' in my PC browser. And the page I picked said, "What is a focus word for the year? A focus word for the year is a single word that encapsulates what you need more of, what you want to focus on, or what you need to improve on."

And right away, I felt what I needed was ... direction.

So, that's it! :)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
This morning's direction took me to Diane in Denmark!!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
ME!

It's perhaps a bit selfish but after reading Jess's comments - it should be her word too - I realized that it was the right thing.

I was really overextended for others last year, especially with caring for DH after his surgery and running the caravan and having to deal with people's expectations of that so, this year I should:
cook more dinners I like, instead of what DH likes
see more movies and enjoy more entertainment in general, at home or away, that I like
plan/do more things I want to do. If I ask DH to do it with me and he doesn't want to - just do it myself
insist that I be taken care of, on occasion, and that my aches, pains and limitations are recognized along with everyone else's; no need to pretend that I'm invulnerable to pain, etc.

These things may sound petty but I think they will improve my quality of life.

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
My word for 2023 is mindful. As our sermon in church this week was about the wise men following the star to Bethlehem, I wondered how many people didn't pay any attention to the bright light and just did their normal routine. I'd like to try and notice more of the things that happen around me, in my family, in my community, in nature and take notice. ( I'm sure I'll need a notebook to journal in, since I have one for everything else in life, haha).

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I found my word in a blog post I read this morning, "I'm referring to this new point in my life not as retirement but rather as "re-calibrating," which makes my days full of joy and discovery". I'm going to undergo a major change in my life in October - no more getting up with the chickens, coming home wiped out from a long day, dealing with all of the chores and errands on the weekends, not having any time to unwind and decompress.

I'm going to prepare now for how things will be when I have my days back. I'm having a hard time imagining how it will be! Does anyone work to a schedule - do you remember the old "Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday....etc."? Those of you who don't work, do you have any kind of a daily schedule as a foundation. There is so much I want to do, how am I going to achieve productivity and efficiency so I have some down (me) time - blog-reading, blog-writing, spend more time reading and commenting here, go to the library, clean house, do laundry, bake, volunteer, menu plan, grocery shop, errand run, schedule getaways (a day or a weekend) for Vic and me? I can see planning my week becoming a Sunday afternoon activity. I'm thankful that I have nine months to make a solid plan.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
do you have any kind of a daily schedule as a foundation.
I am in the process of making a schedule now. I looked at my list and found there was a lot of updates I need to do. So I am working on a plan to either update every item on the list daily (page a day) or work on one each day (an hour or so a day. I am trying my best to keep things updated. Things change quickly.
I also, want incorporate days like Relaxing Sundays, Reset Mondays, Volunteer Tuesdays, Crafting Wednesdays, Housework Thursdays etc

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am in a low key mood today so will most likely tackle the box of pictures I am sort through. I am not sure what I will do once I have them whittled down but will figure it out when done. Love the idea of a CD.

Tomorrow I will clean house, I still have some redecorating to do.
No baby news so we continue to wait.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I am in the process of making a schedule now. I looked at my list and found there was a lot of updates I need to do. So I am working on a plan to either update every item on the list daily (page a day) or work on one each day (an hour or so a day. I am trying my best to keep things updated. Things change quickly.
I also, want incorporate days like Relaxing Sundays, Reset Mondays, Volunteer Tuesdays, Crafting Wednesdays, Housework Thursdays etc
I like the hour or so a day - I'm thinking that blocking out time, even using a timer (I know it sounds rigid, but I think it will work) would be easy to work with. I love your idea of Relaxing Sundays, Reset Mondays, etc.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Those of you who don't work, do you have any kind of a daily schedule as a foundation.
Love your Word for 2023, Pamela. Back when I worked full-time, I developed a monthly schedule / routine, to enable me to maintain a somewhat clean and organized house, and to have a reminder of things I needed to take care of. I put it in a calendar form, and adapted it when I moved. I keep a print-out in a notebook and cross things off as I do them, so there's a record of when that task was last done.

I devote a few hours each day to tackling items in one room in the house, and have a list of tasks written down for that specific room. Example: Weds. this week -- Powder Room -- clean sink, toilet, and mirror; quick wipe of the baseboards if needed, and dust along the ceiling (I tend to get cobwebs in there, for some reason); dust the light fixture; floor swiffer wet; fresh towels. Today is Stairs & Foyer -- the usual vacuuming the stairs and damp mop the foyer tile, but also includes washing the throw rug once each month, dusting the ledge, organizing the coat closet and bench baskets, and washing the sidelight windows (pup's nose prints). The entire month is roughly a 2x rotation for my place, but would be different for each person. If I don't get to every tast, it can be picked up on the next rotation. On the Sat. and Sun. calendar squares, I include notes for special tasks that I may forget, i.e. giving pup his flea & tick meds, changing the furnace filters every 3rd month; running cleaner through the dishwasher and garbage disposal, and I've added sanitizing the romotes every other month.

This enabes me to have a clean and organized place, and still have time to do the things I want to do. And, I suspend my routine and follow the HGP during the Fall, so I get the deep cleaning done each year. If you'd like me to scan a calendar and send you a copy, let me know.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Love your Word for 2023, Pamela. Back when I worked full-time, I developed a monthly schedule / routine, to enable me to maintain a somewhat clean and organized house, and to have a reminder of things I needed to take care of. I put it in a calendar form, and adapted it when I moved. I keep a print-out in a notebook and cross things off as I do them, so there's a record of when that task was last done.

I devote a few hours each day to tackling items in one room in the house, and have a list of tasks written down for that specific room. Example: Weds. this week -- Powder Room -- clean sink, toilet, and mirror; quick wipe of the baseboards if needed, and dust along the ceiling (I tend to get cobwebs in there, for some reason); dust the light fixture; floor swiffer wet; fresh towels. Today is Stairs & Foyer -- the usual vacuuming the stairs and damp mop the foyer tile, but also includes washing the throw rug once each month, dusting the ledge, organizing the coat closet and bench baskets, and washing the sidelight windows (pup's nose prints). The entire month is roughly a 2x rotation for my place, but would be different for each person. If I don't get to every tast, it can be picked up on the next rotation. On the Sat. and Sun. calendar squares, I include notes for special tasks that I may forget, i.e. giving pup his flea & tick meds, changing the furnace filters every 3rd month; running cleaner through the dishwasher and garbage disposal, and I've added sanitizing the romotes every other month.

This enabes me to have a clean and organized place, and still have time to do the things I want to do. And, I suspend my routine and follow the HGP during the Fall, so I get the deep cleaning done each year. If you'd like me to scan a calendar and send you a copy, let me know.
I would love a copy, thank you. I'll send you my e-mail address.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pamela. it would be interesting to start a thread somewhere regarding retirement prep. I know a few of us are heading to that time and a central location of hints/tips might be a useful tool.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Pamela. it would be interesting to start a thread somewhere regarding retirement prep. I know a few of us are heading to that time and a central location of hints/tips might be a useful tool.
Great idea! I'll work on one this weekend.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Does anyone work to a schedule - do you remember the old "Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday....etc."? Those of you who don't work, do you have any kind of a daily schedule as a foundation.
I've been keeping up with FlyLady cleaning zones for about 23 years now. I adapted the zone work to fit my needs and then printed it off to keep in my housekeeping binder. I uploaded the recurring information into Google Calendar which I find helpful too.

Reactions: PamelaG