Word of the year 2023

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just popping in the remind myself of my WOTY.
End of March and the first quarter of the year has gone.
I am really surprised by how quickly the first 3 months have gone, but then I guess I say that every year.
To me it means that keeping on top of things and making progress with plans is so important if you want to get things done and not just have the time slip by.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Another month down and I am doing pretty well. I have slackened off with some things, mainly my own daily routine of skin care etc. Need to get back to that as the results show when I follow that routine.

I am enjoying breaking the year into seasons, it makes things a little more manageable to plan for 3 months of the year rather that be all over the place with planning. Thanks Mary for that tip. I have my plans for the Winter 3 months in my head I just need to transfer it to words and move on it. Winter is a tough season for me so the goal is to keep active and busy and try to keep the blues away.
All in all I am happy with my Progress for the first half of the year and excited for what the next few months have in store.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
When I picked the word "mindset" for the year, I had no idea the journey I was about to go on.
Trying to get my mind right and positive during difficult times is sure a "thing!" I don't have it all figured out
but a journey, I am definitely on!

Katrina- Proud of you!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Trying to get my mind right and positive during difficult times is sure a "thing!" I don't have it all figured out
but a journey, I am definitely on!
Annie, do we ever really get it all figured out? I feel I will always be on the journey.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Annie, do we ever really get it all figured out? I feel I will always be on the journey.
I've been told by folks in their late 70's and early 80's that it is a never ending journey. While it was a surprise when I heard this in January, it was comforting at the same time. We don't have to have all the answers all the time.
I am enjoying breaking the year into seasons, it makes things a little more manageable to plan for 3 months of the year rather that be all over the place with planning. Thanks Mary for that tip.
I like this way too. Things are more manageable in smaller chunks of time. Pausing to reflect also gives me time to readjust a long term goal if I'm getting off course.

We are half way through the year and I'm please with the progress that I'm making. One of the things that I have feared is success. It sounds strange, doesn't it? Especially as a perfectionist, it sounds strange. Thus, the procrastination in doing things I have wanted to do for myself for a long time and the imposter syndrome that I've felt since last year. I've gotten better dealing with this as I've lost weight. Not exactly sure why. I'll have to journal on that one.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've gotten better dealing with this as I've lost weight.
Perhaps because people who are overweight are often judged as being ignorant due to our culture's over emphasis on outward appearances being the predetermination of how valuable a person is or how smart they are. As if how much one weighs has anything to do with intelligence or credibility. We, even subconsciously or subliminally, align our own thinking to that and assign it to be true of ourselves. Therefore, your weigh loss may be attributed to you're own subliminal message about yourself.

My word is prepare. In certain areas, I'm doing well, but still have things to work on. I'm comfortable about the things that are going on with Mama's health at this point. I know that it will be an ongoing journey and that she won't live forever, but the incident in December brought reality home to me. Before that, she will healthy with no known problems. It was as if she were ageless. DH and I are working to regain our health, too. It is helping prepare us for the forever ticking of time in our own lives. The house seems to be an ongoing process. One thing is repaired, and another needs repairing, so on it goes. I'm beginning to feel more like this is home, though. Third year in the house, so about time. Once I do some rearranging of the storage closets, I think I'll be at a place where things click for me. All of that makes me feel more prepared for things life throws at me.

Way to go, everyone...yes, it is a journey, with obstacles, twists, turns, and unexpected detours!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Way to go, everyone...yes, it is a journey, with obstacles, twists, turns, and unexpected detours!
We cannot enjoy the peaks without entering the valleys every now and then, or my favourite
You need to have the Winters to enjoy the beauty of Spring.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
My word was "me". I hoped to take care of myself a bit more this year. Not happening.

However, I thank God every day that I am well enough to take care of those in my family who need me.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Therefore, your weigh loss may be attributed to you're own subliminal message about yourself.
Oooo... Now that's something to ponder on ...
My word was "me". I hoped to take care of myself a bit more this year. Not happening.
:( Can you find some simple things that you like to do and try to do one thing daily?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have hit Spring here in the Southern Hemisphere. This is the time of year where I begin to panic slightly. I start the year full of plans, goals and good intentions and then suddenly we are in September and what have I done with the year?
I am making progress on so many fronts, overall I am pleased.

I am aware that it does not take too much to derail plans so I am getting as much done as I can when I can.
This HGP is a big one for me as it will be the last one in this house. I need to do a really good job so that when we get closer to retirement a lot of the hard work has been done.

Looking forward to the next few months, they are the busiest and most fun months of the year for us. Lots of events and activities happening and I want to be ready for them all.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This HGP is a big one for me as it will be the last one in this house.
I bet it is bittersweet. Maybe as you go through the rooms each week, you could write out memories that each of those rooms hold for you. That might help with the transitioning from one place to the next place.

Actually, I may do this myself, even though we aren't moving.

Fearless is my word and I'm finding the more I face my fears, that those fears slip away little by little. I've disappointed a few people recently (one of my fears) but I'm over it because it was at the expense of me. I can't do that anymore.

We did a summer road trip and one of the fears I had was driving through Cape Breton Highlands National Park. There are switchbacks and times you have to drop your gears driving downhill. I've down switchbacks before but never had to switch gears in an automatic car. I did it (a few times actually) and didn't ruin the brakes!

I'm currently in the throws of facing my latest fear - working in a setting that has more than 10 employees. I have always worked for very small non-profits (under 10 full-time employees.) It was less draining on me. Small non-profits are my thing. I thrive in small community. This one is already proving to be exhausting but I am doing it. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I bet it is bittersweet. Maybe as you go through the rooms each week, you could write out memories that each of those rooms hold for you. That might help with the transitioning from one place to the next place.
Oh that is such a great idea. I have to take photos to update my household binder for insurance purposes. I think I will write a few sentences to go with each photo. Thank you.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I went with the word Joy. With this current cancer diagnosis and the side affects I know I'll have ahead from treatments I decided I just wanted to focus on the small Joys in my life each day. I also like to tell people to carry the joy of Christmas with them year around, so that's what I'm going to do. Each day focus on the small joys it brought me.
MinnieCo Said:

Thinking about you ... and said a prayer ... @MinnieCo

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
WOTY: Direction
: a guiding, governing, or motivating purpose

I searched for 'Word of the Year' in my PC browser. And the page I picked said, "What is a focus word for the year? A focus word for the year is a single word that encapsulates what you need more of, what you want to focus on, or what you need to improve on."

And right away, I felt what I needed was ... direction.

So, that's it! :)
Well, it's September and looking at the past 9 months ...

Need More Of: Time to think, reflex, and pray
Focus On: My healthy choices so I can help DS in this difficult time
Need to Improve On: My exercise routine

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went with the word Joy. With this current cancer diagnosis and the side affects I know I'll have ahead from treatments I decided I just wanted to focus on the small Joys in my life each day. I also like to tell people to carry the joy of Christmas with them year around, so that's what I'm going to do. Each day focus on the small joys it brought me.
MinnieCo Said:

Thinking about you ... and said a prayer ... @MinnieCo
Well, since I know you rely on God and your word of the year is Joy, I thought I'd share something that I've used when I have difficult times.

Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. - James: 2-4

I'll be keeping you and your son in prayer!