Word of the year 2023

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I worked on my word today, cleaning in the spare bedroom, so I am prepared for family to stay if they need to. Still a long way to go. It's like the office, sewing, craft, and guest room. Has too many functions, but it's what I have to work with.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
@missjane Back in the day, one of the spare rooms was the homeschool room, art room (for the kids and later oil painting room for DD), sewing/craft room, my office/desk. Another spare room was DH's den 19 years ago, but then it became DS19's room and the spare room for guests. DD's room is now the spare room and DS's extra computer parts room and he also sometimes does his VR in there. The school room morphed into my computer room plus crafts (mostly just my yarn/crocheting), and my desk. The laundry room off the carport always had DH's tool bench as he worked on power tools on the side. He recently moved the bench and tools to the screen room and I have a lovely spacious laundry room.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I went with the word Joy. With this current cancer diagnosis and the side affects I know I'll have ahead from treatments I decided I just wanted to focus on the small Joys in my life each day. I also like to tell people to carry the joy of Christmas with them year around, so that's what I'm going to do. Each day focus on the small joys it brought me.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I went with the word Joy. With this current cancer diagnosis and the side affects I know I'll have ahead from treatments I decided I just wanted to focus on the small Joys in my life each day. I also like to tell people to carry the joy of Christmas with them year around, so that's what I'm going to do. Each day focus on the small joys it brought me.
CAA9DE5E-E954-4955-AB81-12B38CCE0368.png

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just checking in, Day 17 of 2023. I have certainly made PROGRESS on writing a lot of lists and notes. I am feeling very positive. Now just to follow through and get the jobs done.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Word check-in

I'm doing okay with planning for what's coming in the week ahead. There's a square of space in my planner at the bottom of each week where I make a list of what's happening in the week ahead that's extra or out of the normal routine.

I still need to work on preparing myself, at night, for the next day. And all the other will be a long work in progress!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am also finding that I am doing well with my Word of the year. I have done 2 social gatherings this month and have another planned next week. I have tried to be cautious going out because I want to see Violet Maeve which is next Friday. Trying to stay healthy.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I have been very consistent with saying my affirmations.
I'm hoping the consistency of saying them out loud to myself begins my change of mindset.
I have a set of general life affirming affirmations, dream life achieving affirmations, and financial ones.
It's my financial mindset I want to work on the most.

I try to say them 3 times a day but usually 2 times is what I'm more consistent at.
Once in the morning before leaving for work and once before bed.

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I met one of my word goals. The multi-purpose spare room is guest worthy. DH has a box that he needs to go through, but it could easily be moved out if we had a guest. So, I'm prepared to host family.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am still chipping away my word Clean. Have the easier items out of the house and basement. Will work this week on some of the furniture. That will rest on who wants it to remove it. Dh is getting his golf clubs sold but next week he will buy more. I will not be buying more furniture. Might buy more 76626028-2EF4-454F-9E0F-515D60EF010F.jpeg boxes that I used in the hall closet. They worked out very well.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Fearless is my word. I'm happy with the way things are going. I am facing my fears by talking about them. Once I verbalize them, the fear no longer occupies my mind. I then fill my mind with good and true things and I focus on that instead.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Well, for January 2023 ...
WOTY: Direction
: a guiding, governing, or motivating purpose

My word is direction. So, my direction for January was having my DD30 visit from VT mid-month and enjoy and have fun with her here --- and then after she was back home, it was time to un-decorate Christmas and reset the house in order. I also wanted my direction in my health to be ... exercise ... and eat better (cut out added sugar and watch the gluten).

I think it has gone well. :)

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
February is just about behind us. Wanted to touch base about my word of the year.
PROGRESS! I am doing OK with this, I am quite happy so far.
I have made great progress at work, am now working two days and have set myself a few large projects and am working through them steadily.
Making progress on plans through the year. By breaking the year into seasons and setting goals I am finding success in getting things done. Not everything on my list for Summer (Dec, Jan and Feb) was achieved but I did 90% of what was on my list. Have just set new goals for Autumn, (Mar, Apr and May).
Making good progress with gifts and stocking fillers for Christmas. Am changing things up with the stockings, trying to find interesting items that we have not had before as well as the old standards. A challenge that I am enjoying. Have started putting aside grocery items so that I can manage the budget a bit better with the cost of things nowadays.
Changed the amount to go into the Christmas club each week so that will give a bit of a buffer closer to Christmas. Got a subscription for the next level in my supermarket rewards and am making Progress there, I currently have $80 towards Christmas shopping.
Will see how I go over the next few months.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have a fear of disappointing people or doing something that will cause people to be upset with me. I will put them over me. Sometimes it is necessary like dealing with the needs of a young child or the needs of elderly people. This is not what I'm talking about. It's the "not standing up for me" and what I want so that I don't disappoint people. I've come a long way with that but I recently saw something about myself where I need to do better.

I have covered for people for too long. I am now including the "covered people" in emails expressing that I wasn't told, I hadn't heard back, etc. It's amazing what happens when I do that. I actually get responses. :rolleyes:

For months I've sent out emails regarding board meetings and follow-ups to the board meetings. That is my job as the board secretary. Three people in particular have issues with responding. I don't know why they are on the board if they aren't doing anything. Anyway, one of those three showed up, for the first time since August, at a recent meeting and sheepishly apologized for never getting back to me since August. "Yeah, the ball was in your court." I told him. He hasn't done any follow up with me on that issue he was supposed to deal with in August. We have a board meeting on Tuesday. Sigh...

The other two people have not shown up since July to the meeting. I get no responses when I send out the reminders, etc. So in a group email conversation which they were included in, I said wrote out both of their names and said that they were not going to be at this Tuesday's meeting. You know what, that comment light some fire under them because they actually responded that they are going to be at the meeting. ROFLOL! Now I know that if I want something done or at least a response, no more Mrs. Nice Guy-Who-Tip-Toes-Around-Board-Members-Because-They-Are-Well-Known-People-in-Certain-Circles. I'm calling people out in a group email if that is what it takes to get a response. Their behaviour is more disappointing and upsetting to me than me calling them out on it. That email has freed me from so much fear of disappointing/upsetting people. :D

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, well done you have made a lot of progress with your fears. Keep going.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have an update from last month. First, everyone showed up at the board meeting. LOL! Second, the board meeting was scheduled when I had to pick up my dd from school. I stopped in for a bit, left to pick up dd and then returned. Instead of asking one of the very active board members to take notes while I was gone, I asked one of those three board members to take notes for me and he did! These are small things but very empowering things for me.

Reactions: luludou and jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I feel like so far I am doing very well with my WOTY.
I cannot believe that we are into March already, weren't we just celebrating Christmas?
I find that I do really well until about mid year and then for some reason my enthusiasm ebbs a little. Maybe it is because it is colder here then or the fact that we really have no events to celebrate, I am not sure. I am hoping that this year I keep the momentum going all year.....we will see.

Mary, I am so pleased that the board meeting was a success.