Wow! Limited Inventories!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
I've read on line that stores are planning to stock less this year because of the poor economy and the fact that they got 'stuck' with stuff last year, but I really didn't believe the extent of it until this weekend.

I went to Toys R Us, their toy book came out on October 31, and I was there November 6th, and they were already SOLD OUT of a bunch of stuff I wanted.

She offered me rain checks, but couldn't guarantee that they were getting more shipments before Chirstmas, not unless it is a Black Friday item.

WOW!

I was able to order what I needed on line at the sale price, but still!

At Walmart, they seem to have about half the amount of Christmas stuff they usually do.

I'm so happy I shop ahead, but still....

What about you? Are you finding what you need? Especially you folks with Santa lists to fill?

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I had a similar experience at Toys R Us this morning! Several of the Lego sets I wanted were not available! I'm not worried because I saw them at Target on Sunday...will just have to go back and get them! SOON!

It does seem like most stores are cutting back.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm hoping to do most of my shopping online this year since I have no sitter for the kids. Hopefully I won't run into this problem, but we'll see.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I am also glad I try to get as I go. However I have come across this even when it's not the holidays. I have learned to pick it up when I see it. Thankfully my boys don't usually have the "newest, hottest items" on their wish list so that helps some.
I tell you though, I was at the mall this wknd and it was a mad house, every one was out shopping. it was crazy, really busy for early in the season. That should make the retailers happy

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
One of the reasons that I am glad that I do not have little ones to fill a list for anymore. Toy wise that is, now thier toys are more expensive. Miss Makayla did get an American Doll magazine in the mail a couple of weeks ago and found some things that she wants from it. But at this point her doll just sits on a shelf she is 11 and has grown out of her toys. One of the things was a different bed for it so that might be what she gets because it would look cute sitting in her room with her on it.

Two days before Halloween our downtown shops had trick or treating for the kids my mom and I took my nefew and my two little ones down their. We were in one store and Kenny found the Underamour sweatshirt with school colors and our new school logo on it for $10-$15 cheaper then the local sports shop that is three doors down from there I went and picked it up this past Friday because she did tell us what they had was all they were getting for the fall/winter sports season. That was the number one item on his christmas list. He also looked up the date a game is coming out that he wants so we can go get it that day.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm surprised to hear that as they said they would be opening extra stores inside malls across the country. Walmart also claimed they would have larger floor space for more toys and games.

My niece wants a Edu Science lab kit and only Toys R Us sells it. I wonder if I will be able to get one?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Aggy- I did see that online today so they have them for now.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I went to Toys R Us, their toy book came out on October 31, and I was there November 6th, and they were already SOLD OUT of a bunch of stuff I wanted.

Yikes that's not good! I need to get to Toys R Us just for 2 games, but I hope they have them. I should go today....

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
I started early and am finished with toys. I have learned to just follow my gut when things go on sale because every year there seems to be something that everyone wants and they don't have enough. Remember, Zhu Zhu pets last year?

My girls like the Liv dolls and Moxie dolls, so I got those when Toys R Us and Target put them on sale a couple of months ago. I did the same with the Nintendo DS and games. I just didn't want to take a chance and would rather take a chance and get it on sale early than fight with the crowds for a limited supply.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've never been a big Toys R Us fan for that reason. They always seem to be out of sale items I wanted when my daughter was smaller. But I knew when Target had downsized for Halloween, that the same thing would follow for Christmas. I haven't been there for their transition yet to look at the new stuff, but I'm curiuos.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I really need to go shopping! My boys are not into toys anymore - too old, but there are certain games I think they would like - should buy now I guess.