Wrapping Party October 30th 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
1667095623731.jpeg1667096030679.jpeg

Today we talk about stocking fillers.

Our family and a lot of other Australian families do large Santa Sacks instead of traditional stockings like those pictured above. Santa sacks are large, larger than a pillow case so therefore we can put quite a lot into them. My family usually get useful items such as tooth paste and brush, a bottle of Coke, deodorant, razors, box of tissues, bubble bath, jar of peanut butter, chocolate bar etc. I get most of my items from the supermarket and I love the challenge of looking for interesting and different items for placing in the "stockings".

We do a combination of wrapped and unwrapped items in our stocking and make sure that we set aside time early in November to wrap the fillers, that way we know if they are full enough and if not we have time to purchase a few more things.

Years ago a new tradition started in our family. We unwrapped our gifts and then had breakfast, we then realised that we had not done our stockings. Nowadays the tradition remains and we always open our stockings after breakfast.

For this wrapping party the reminder is to look at our stockings
Are they still in good condition, will they last another year or do you need to order new ones?
Do your pets get a stocking? (Ours do)
Have you started buying your stocking fillers?, if not make a list and get started.
Do you wrap stocking fillers and have you set aside some time to do this?

Share some of your favourite stocking fillers for
Man,
Lady,
Children,
Pets.

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Does anyone worry that if they wrap their gifts early by the time Christmas comes around the wrappings will be all messed up?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Does anyone worry that if they wrap their gifts early by the time Christmas comes around the wrappings will be all messed up?
I wrap early but just wrap very carefully.
This topic will be covered further in the next wrapping party topic.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We have used the same stockings that my husband had when we married. They look old, but would never change them. The boys had stockings too and their own stocking holders. Santa always left them a nice fuzzy toy mouse in them. I only do Christmas lottery tickets as stocking fillers.

I wrap early and store my wrapped gifts in plastic totes with lids. I stopped using ribbon years ago because of Myron eating it, so I don’t have to worry about it getting messed up. I should start using it again since Myron is gone.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I buy the thicker wrapping paper and do not put on ribbons until they under the tree or I am ready to give them away. I have a small family so this works for me. I also have a cupboard where I can keep them. Once stacked in there they are not moved around so they do not tear. When I did not have a cupboard or closet for storing them I put them in our suitcases.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I sort the gifts - originally unwrapped and then finally wrapped - in large holiday shopping bags that I get from Home Goods or similar stores. When I have my Hanukkah party I give each person/family group their own bag so they can use it to take their gifts home too.

I might try wrapping some gifts early this year. I would wait with the ribbon until the last minute. I mainly use ribbon for the gifts that go under the tree on Christmas because that makes them look more festive - I think.

Reactions: jampss

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
You have given me an idea ... I will look for a cute theme pillow case for DD and Boyfriend and use it as their "wrapping" for the crocheted cardigan/poncho I made them!! :)

I will be mailing a box to them to VT. Also, on here, I got the idea about the muffin mix packs. DS19 and I went out to the store last night and picked up some to add to the Christmas box! Yum!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will be mailing a box to them to VT. Also, on here, I got the idea about the muffin mix packs. DS19 and I went out to the store last night and picked up some to add to the Christmas box! Yum!!
I saw a package of cinnamon rolls a few weeks back. Cinnamon rolls are not something that we have often here so I picked up a box for DD and she can make them one morning. We often put a pancake shake and make mix in the stockings too, DD might get the pancakes and DSIL gets the syrup.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Santa Sacks
There are a couple of companies here that make Santa Sacks that can be personalized if anyone is interested:

• Love
Reactions: jampss

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I saw a package of cinnamon rolls a few weeks back. Cinnamon rolls are not something that we have often here so I picked up a box for DD and she can make them one morning. We often put a pancake shake and make mix in the stockings too, DD might get the pancakes and DSIL gets the syrup.

Thank you for mentioning cinnamon rolls! I need to get a tube of the pilsbury ones for Christmas morning. Husband and son love them and makes my life easier.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thank you for mentioning cinnamon rolls! I need to get a tube of the pilsbury ones for Christmas morning. Husband and son love them and makes my life easier.
Now that you mention it I might change my Christmas morning breakfast a little. We usually do hot donuts but I might look for some cinnamon rolls and do them instead.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I make cinnamon rolls using dough from the bread maker so I can increase the amount of the filling and frosting. If we do a brunch for Christmas this year I will make some.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Wrapped dd& ds stocking stuffers yesterday. Just need to add some $$. Now to buy sstuffers for the grandkids

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I make cinnamon rolls using dough from the bread maker so I can increase the amount of the filling and frosting. If we do a brunch for Christmas this year I will make some.
Is there a specific recipe you use? I would rather make from scratch if possible

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Wrapped dd& ds stocking stuffers yesterday. Just need to add some $$. Now to buy sstuffers for the grandkids
Well done. I will be wrapping on Monday and double check items then.