Yarn Eggs

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
http://blog.amyatlas.com/2010/03/crafty-yarn-egg-decor/

I tried making these and when I popped the balloons, they just collapsed. :( Anybody done this successfully? I searched and there are lots of recipes, glue/water, sugar water, starch, flour, etc. I saw in the comments on one of the sites that others had trouble, so I made sure I used ALOT of glue on the balloon and yarn. Then painted it over the yarn after wrapping and let it about 24 hours until the string was dry and kind of crunchy. The string I used was turquoise crochet thread, not very thick...the kind you would use for doileys. I was in Joann's today and saw something called Stiffy? that might work. It was $5.99 and not really that big of a bottle, so I wanted to wait and see if anybody knew if it would work, or of something else I could try.

I think the directions I followed were from the Family Fun site. I didn't put the string through the glue water mixture like it says on this blog, I painted. I wonder if that is the trick? Whatever site I found first, several of the people had trouble. I remembered these from one of Martha's Christmas specials. I never thought I'd have such a hard time with them!! It seems like it would be so easy. LOL

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Candysprinkles, I haven't tried these so I'm of no help but they are pretty! I know I tried to make a magic fortune ball once... and it didn't work out at all according to instructions. :(

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Thanks, lucie. WOW, I just noticed you almost have 10,000 posts!!

I can't find the water balloons now to try this again. My grabby kids ran off with them that day when it was 85 degrees. If there are any left, I can't find what they did with them. :rolleyes:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Can you see I have no life? lol! In reality I love my time here!

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I have done these successfully using crochet thread. I used a recipe with just sugar and water. Sorry, I don't have the instructions any longer. I wrapped it around a balloon and had to hang it over a large pan while I dripped a sugar and water solution. I ended up hanging it (the balloon with the crochet thread wrapped around it) from the handle of my kitchen cabinet placing a large tin pan underneath. It had to hang there until it dried for a few day so it was not very convenient using the cabinet!! I then popped the balloon and cut it in half. I also glued lace that was ruffled all around it to hide the rough edges. It looked like half of an egg. I also remember on another one, cutting out a strip from the center and gluing it as a handle to make it a basket. Very pretty and everyone loved getting it as a gift. I'm so sorry I don't have the direction any more. But it did take several days to dry stiff. Hope this helps a little ...

Reactions: 1 person