Yikes...and HELP

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
Okay ladies I need your help. We just found out we are relocating ...in mid January! You know those beautiful decorating magazines that make you drool during the holidays...well...that's me. Yeah, I even decorate the bathrooms for the holidays. I can't do it this year. Normally I would be starting this weekend but I cannot possibly go whole-hog here and have it all packed back up in time for the movers to head out. It was nearly Valentines last year before I got it all put away.

Soooo...I need some minimalist ideas on how and what to decorate to make it feel festive and holiday-ish. It will only be immediate family (4) and the 5-6 neighbors that stop by with goodies. I'm thinking the smaller tabletop artificial tree with the 10-12 special family ornaments. The one piece nativity instead of the 25 pc set I usually use for the mantel. Something for the dining and coffee tables A wreath or ribbon for the front door and maybe a poinsettia/fresh flowers or some scented candles. Does this sound okay and Christmas-y enough?

By the way, we are moving to the Cincinnati area-anyone of my MHH peeps nearby?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Your minimalist decorating scheme sounds lovely. I mainly use the mantle and a wreath on the door.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Moving is hard enough and add in the holiday it' so much more. Sounds like some great ideas. A pretty runner on the table with a small tree. Definitely some candles or plug ins consider some of the seasonal night lights. Pick a theme for the small tree with the ornaments you like most.
Good luck

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What you have described sounds perfect. Go with your gut.
Good luck with the move.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Your plan sounds great. Just keep in mind things that are easiest to get out and pack away again, like your nativity option. It's surprising what a poinsettia or two can add instantly to the decor. Hope your move goes well.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Sounds great! I love poinsettia! Instant Christmas!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa....instant Christmas, love it.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I think your ideas sound nice. You may even be able to keep those things out longer and then pack all those things at the last minute into a Rubbermaid Tote and label it "Instant Christmas" (HT to Teachermomof2). Meanwhile all your other Christmas things can remain packed and ready to go.

I love Christmas and I have learned that I can resent people, things, situations etc. if I don't do at least one thing that is "Christmas" to me. I love sitting by the white lights in the evening and I love the smell of a Christmas tree. If I had to move in mid January and couldn't have a big tree, then I'd be content with a fresh wreath in the house and some white lights on the mantle.

Since it is going to be a different kind of Christmas, what is the one thing you just love about Christmas in your home?