Your Holiday Theme/Colors This Year

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I have a ton of mixed wrapping paper that will last me for the rest of my natural life! I just can't resist it!

My tree never has a theme. It's decorated with ornaments that I've collected most of my life. Many are sentimental things that we bought in places we lived in 30 years in the Navy. Some were my mother's, many are gifts from friends and family. I collect glass icicles. It's an eight-to-nine foot hodge-podge, and I love it!

My mantel will be decorated with my son's collection of nutcrackers this year, along with greenery and red plaid ribbon. I just ordered a red plaid tablecloth and napkins for the dining table. I'll have a few nutcrackers, greenery and glass balls for the centerpiece. I put my large Fontanini creche on a chest in the front hall, and a crystal one in the living room. My Byers' Choice Dickens carolers go on the piano in the music room, and either peppermint or gingerbread men in the kitchen. That's pretty much it. I put a tiny tree with Hallmark miniature ornaments in the guest room, and greenery and blue and green plaid ribbon in the bedroom.

Happy Decorating!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
No theme for me either! I tried it one year but all of the presents just looked the same under the tree so I prefere to use different colours. For the younger children I usually use Disney paper and as for the adults, it depends on who it's for really. For older relatives we stick to classic designs but for my sisters and BiL's we tend to go for colourful Santa or Snowman paper :)

Last edited:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Has anyone started thinking about colors or theme, yet, since it's CIJ? Some of you may recall DH was sent to put my new wrapping paper I bought after Christmas in the storage shed, but left it out where it got rained on and ruined. :( Now, I have NO wrapping paper whatsoever! (This may actually be fun...to get to buy new!)

I realized our first wrapping party is coming up soon, so I was wondering what colors some of you are wrapping in. I noticed Hobby Lobby has started putting out decorations. I didn't notice any new trendy colors, have any of you? Burlap is trending, so it would be easy to do a woodsy, old-fashioned looking theme this year.

Do any of you change up your main tree or pretty much keep it the same so you can re-use most of your decorations?

Here's the link to the wrapping party dates in case you don't have them already.

http://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28781&highlight=wrapping

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I don't really have a theme, I just use whatever I have and make it pretty. I love the mish mash look under the tree. For dinner at my mums we are doing a white, silver and ice blue theme. Should look nice.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks for the reminder Jane.
I use a mix of papers, no one color theme. Trees & decorations stay the same, but I am doing some new hand-made ones everyyear now... so when the kids leave with their decorations it'll be only my stuff :)

sloanmama

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2009
Ohio
Still sticking to my wintery snowflake theme... light blues, whites, silver and crystals. But last year, I found some gift tags that were white with light blue and red design and I fell in love with them. I started adding a touch of red (small doses) here and there and I really loved it. No "in your face" big giant red things, but a red ribbon here and there and some candy canes tucked into a jar... simple things. It actually worked great as our stockings have been red since I got personalized ones a few years back. I think I'll stick with that this year.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I tend to stick with red, white and kraft colored papers for gifts, but it's always a mish-mosh. The main tree will be a mix of our collected ornaments with red, green and gold balls. We'll have a Pittsburgh Penguins themed tree in the playroom this year. I'll also have a small kitchen tree.

HolidayAngelOz

MHH Member
Feb 19, 2009
Burlap

I am using the colors burgandy,gold,and brown with flannel and burlap ornaments thrown in. My house is painted in brown color so it should go pretty well with that..

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
My favorite colours are red and white...and I like the Scandinavian style....simple with a touch of shabby

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I like colors of blue,white,silver or red,white,silver I enjoy country type ornaments snowmen,santas,bells,as i'm making a lot of my Christmas décor from birch I've collected and other nice ideas I got from pinterest and craftgawker.:fireplace:

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I love it all-and my decorating is a complete eclectic mix...I tend to group things together when I decorate, like all my snowman on top of the piano, santas scattered around the kitchen..we try to get an ornament whenever we travel, but the tree is definitely a mish-mash...my daughter in law always wraps presents with a themed paper, they really look beautiful under her tree, but I am cheap so wrapping paper is whatever has been on sale..LOVE to see how others decorate though!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I use all kinds, but try stick with a certain color "scheme" for certain groups of gifts. Like if I do a swap, I'll stick to one color theme for all those. If I have a friend how I'm swapping multiple gifts with, I'll stick to one color group. That kind of thing. I'm excited though, because Hallmark had their sale last week B1G1F and I got the new vintage Santa line. So I will defiantly be using those, in addition to the old stuff.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I am going with the brown craft paper and string with handmade tags.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Red, white and silver tend to be my base colours. But I have a lot of other colours mixed in as well. We have an eclectic tree, with decorations from around the world on our various travels (and a few from family travels - but mostly our own). And mostly they are individual items, or just a couple of things. My baubles are lots of different colours and patterns, and include various sizes from tiny to quite large, with a few icicle shapes among the round balls. I have a collection of a dozen tiny stockings, which I can hang small candy canes in, that I made myself a few years back, which are mostly red (a couple are green) but each has a different design to the decoration.

Other than the tree, we have a small wooden cutout crib that we put in the hall, a tiny crib in a ring box that DD has in her room and another small crib in the kitchen. I have a lovely big crib with a straw roof and wooden stable, but that doesn't go out most years as it's so big.

DD loves snowglobes and has 3 in her room over Christmas. And I have a few towels with poinsettia and reindeer and the like that I put in the main bathroom and kitchen for immediately over Christmas. DD makes an extra few feet on her paper chain every year, that gets hung in the hall from the ceiling. And she has a Santa face hanging from the ceiling on the stairs to her room. But apart from the tree, the house is mainly decorated by lots of nightlights and candles for atmosphere, and a real fire in the grate.

As for wrapping, I don't go for entirely matching, but I do tend to stick to traditional enough colours (reds, golds, silver, green) and I have a few different rolls every year, some more child friendly (Santa, reindeer, snowmen, dancing penguins or something fun) while some are more grown up (embossed leaves, holly and ivy, or plainer stripes or swirls type patterns, some of these are on brown paper backgrounds). Some years I have used other colours, but now I tend to stock up in Jan sales on nice paper that will not look like "last year's hip trend". And I use a lot of ribbon as well, so I tend to have red, gold and silver in my box, and red and white tissue paper too.