Anyone canning 2017?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did my first "big" canning session this weekend! Bought 40# of blueberries and after cleaning/freezing most of them I made a batch of jam. Used 2 lbs blueberries and 1 lb sweet cherries plus some cinnamon. Boy did it turn out good!

Also pickled some gingerroot - hoping we will like that in our stir fries, maybe even a bit in meatloaf to jazz it up!

You'll see from pics that it took every inch of counter and table space to dry all those blueberries!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/35470135270/in/dateposted-public/

And that Tango was very interested in the whole process!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/35857936865/in/dateposted-public/

Tired as I was, hearing those jars pinging as I took them out of the canner made me smile!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/35470134760/in/dateposted-public/

Is anyone else canning yet? Watcha' got planned? :)

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
So far I made and Canned several assorted sizes of Cherry pie filling to be used for pies and toppings for waffles and pancakes. I have some blueberries frozen and will go pick more later this month. I plan on making and canning blueberry pie filling. I still need to get peaches to make and canned sliced peaches for the winter. Next month will be apple pie filling, apple sauce and apple butter. I make extra apple butter to give out as gifts at Christmas.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've put up 17 quarts of sweet pickles and one batch of cinnamon pickle rings - four pints and 5 half-pints..

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Nothing for me yet, but I plan to make raspberry and blackberry freezer jams and can some beets. I haven't decided about peaches yet, and DH definitely wants me to can stewed tomatoes. I probably won't be canning any green beans and will have to decide on that soon if I do want to put some up.

Do you all have your own supply of fruit and vegetables? We don't grow anything ourselves for canning/freezing. We harvest at a nearby you-pick farm.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Canning is something I have never even contemplated. I would not even know where to start.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Nothing for me yet, but I plan to make raspberry and blackberry freezer jams and can some beets. I haven't decided about peaches yet, and DH definitely wants me to can stewed tomatoes. I probably won't be canning any green beans and will have to decide on that soon if I do want to put some up.

Do you all have your own supply of fruit and vegetables? We don't grow anything ourselves for canning/freezing. We harvest at a nearby you-pick farm.

We have planted fruit trees and bushes but it will be another year before we get a good crop from some. We also go to a U pick orchard.

Canning is something I have never even contemplated. I would not even know where to start.
I never canned before 6 years go either. One day I picked up a Ball Canning book (which is very educational and informative) and basic water bath canning supplies and started with blueberry jam.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
my mom aunt and granny use to do canning. ive never tried but would like to learn.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I made 3 pints of hot pepper sauce today. I'm taking about 21 pounds of cucumbers (would make 3 makings of pickles) to church tonight to give away to whomever wants them. Not enough time to make 3 day pickles. :( Hopefully, the cucumbers will still be making when we get home.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Oh, missjane!!! I feel your pain!!! I'm eagerly waiting for our pickle cucumbers to come on! Can't wait to make some porch pickles!!!

Love hearing about all the yummy things going into jars!!!

I am a self taught canner as well - Ball Blue Book and Canning and Preserving for Dummies were what I used to get started. And I think I googled instructions for the specific type of pressure canner I have when I graduated from water bath to also doing pressure canning. Found them on a government website I think...

We have access to U-Picks but we have a local year round store/farmer's market that I purchase some things from already picked. But apples or pears we'll go pick ourselves! Should do peaches too! I need more time in the week!!!

This year I'm hoping to get a good crop of tomatoes to make a few different things from - growing those in pots on the deck - or trying to. I've been fighting blossom rot (hanging head in shame) but I'm hoping the fertilizer I added does the trick! I got a liquid organic type - fingers crossed!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I made 2 batches of raspberry freezer jam yesterday. That should be enough for DH and I and to give some away. I want to do red pepper jelly for myself and a few gifts, so need to fit some time in for that.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I will be..I'm just waiting for the sales to happen at my vege/fruit co-op. Earlier this year they did cases of strawberries for something like $4. Last year I got pineapple cases for 6 dollars. When that happens I'm making more pineapple salsa. If you've not tried it, I highly suggest looking it up. OH MY GOODNESS...it was sooooo good! Doesn't have to be spicy either.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did my first half gallon jar of porch pickles last night - not really canning since they go in the fridge once they are done sitting in the sun! But I'm excited!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Did my first half gallon jar of porch pickles last night - not really canning since they go in the fridge once they are done sitting in the sun! But I'm excited!

Can you share the recipe for porch pickles? I think my hubby and daughter would like those.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Sure!

Porch Pickles

1 gallon glass jar with lid

Pickle sized cucumbers to fill the jar

2 T Pickling Spice

4 Cloves Large Garlic (also called Elephant Garlic), peeled and split/smashed with flat of knife

7 heads Fresh Dill

14 black peppercorns

Pinch alum

⅓ cup pickling/canning salt

2 cups water

1 cup white vinegar

Mix the water, vinegar and salt in a bowl and occasionally stir until salt is dissolved, this makes your brine.

Put half the pickling spices, garlic, dill heads, peppercorns in bottom of jar. Fill jar with cucumbers. Add the rest of the pickling spices, garlic, dill heads and peppercorn. Add pinch of alum. Fill jar with brine so that it comes to top and covers the cucumbers. Make more brine if necessary, although if I do I don’t add more salt, just keep the ratio of water to vinegar.

Put a piece of waxed paper over the jar opening and screw on the lid. Place outside in the sun for 3 days (I leave them overnight as well). Remove wax paper and rescrew on lid. Place in fridge. Pickles should be ready to eat within a couple of weeks. I’ve kept these for up to two years in the fridge. Should stay crisp for at least a year.

NOTE: You can also halve the recipe for half gallon size jars. :) Enjoy!

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
AJ - thanks for sharing, they sound delish...and would never last that long in my house!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
We bought a 24 lb. box of tomatoes yesterday. I'll be canning stewed tomatoes in the next day or two. We then use most of them for home made cream of tomato soup, a family favorite.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I have made grape jelly, apple pie filling, and put up some peaches. These were from my trees.
I wish we had a you-pick farm. We don't have that and I didn't get a garden planted this year. Sure miss it.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have canned about 8 jars of diced peaches for the winter. Waiting for the apples, they should be ready for picking in another week or two.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
No canning for us this year. We didn't have much of a garden. I'll do some freezing of peppers, but that's going to be it this year.