2017 HHP Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My goals for the week are:

Household:

• Assess stored crafts materials. I need to see what we have for making gift tags/gift bags and make a list of missing items.
Holiday Prep:

• Work on December calendar. I want to figure out some dates and rain/snow dates for family Christmas activities like getting a tree, sibling gift shopping, baking cookies, etc.
  • Make shopping lists. I have several shopping lists set up in a spreadsheet from last year that are based on making sure that I have enough dish detergent, laundry detergent, etc. to get me from Thanksgiving through Christmas Day.
  • Review gift lists. Update clothing sizes and shoe sizes.
  • Gifts to Make list. I have a couple of things that I liked to do before Christmas. I think that I have to schedule it on the calendar to get it done.

Reactions: jollykelly

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Household:
  • Declutter and clean creative spaces. this is an ongoing-task but it's in good shape right now. I need to work on crafts though.
  • Assess stored crafts materials. Need to buy more scotch tape for wrapping and see if I have boxes for all the gifts.
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Create a seasonal calendar. DONE
  • Plan holiday travel. No traveling other than going to my parents' - DONE
  • Hold a scheduling session. all is going well
  • Start a set of tear files. Nope, I take notes or pin on Pinterest.
  • Start--and use--a shopping list. Shopping list is in my wallet at all times
  • Review gift lists. Need to validate sizes of dniece & dnephew
    Inventory unfinished crafts projects. I know what is UFO
  • Begin a "Gifts to Make" list. Working on this
I will add:
- ongoing decluttering
- start Fall tasks

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My tasks for the week are:

Household Checklist:
clean out craft bins - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
establish holiday budget - done
find out if furnace is due to be cleaned - done
set up shopping list for purse & computer - done
gifts to make list - done
set up Pinterest account - done
decorate for Fall - done

Last edited:

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
This Week's Household Checklist
  • Declutter and clean creative spaces. My creative space was recently moved from one end of the house to the other, in an apartment we'd built, so needless to say, it's a disaster. I actually still have stuff in both rooms so this is a great opportunity to get EVERYTHING together and organized. Although I'm not 100% finished I did make some great progress in getting everything into one room and now reestablishing new homes for everything.
  • Assess stored crafts materials. Time to declutter and purge because I know there is way to much. The curse of being very creative & unorganized. Let's just say my garbage men won't like me this morning. As I'm going through everything I'm purging as I go.
  • Create a seasonal calendar. Currently trying to move all calendar events over to Evernote. Done
  • Plan holiday travel. One trip planned for Thanksgiving and arrangements are made. Done
  • Hold a scheduling session. Firewood ordered, party date set, still getting more information confirmed. Done
  • Start a set of tear files. Moving my favorite articles to my Christmas planner in Evernote. Done
  • Start--and use--a shopping list. Tracking holiday pantry list since most shopping is done. I can't function without lists. Work in Progress
  • Review gift lists. Only a few left to purchase and wrap.. Done
  • Inventory unfinished crafts projects. They did mean 40, not 4 right? Yeah, I'm in trouble on this one. No where near completed.
  • Begin a "Gifts to Make" list. Christmas items to make have been put on my weekly schedule to work on. In Progress

My creative space is also my office so although I may seem to be ahead on some things....................I'm still struggling and climbing paper mountain at the same time. I actually got a terrible sinus infection going through my inlaws 80+ years of paperwork that landed in my home when they passed away. I hope this gets better soon because I really want to get this done and my creative space decluttered, cleaned and organized. I have scheduled some time each day to continue working on the paperwork but I have figured one thing out......................whatever is in that old paperwork is what has been making me so sick. I go through the old papers and immediately get sick. I rest for a day and it goes away, rinse and repeat. Either way, I'm determined to get this done once and for all.

Last edited:

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
ive made my gift list and have bought several things. i buy something each week for christmas so it will be easier

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
On to Week 2! Week 2 completion is looking pretty good for me already.....Keep plugging away ladies, it will be worth it!
Declutter and clean creative spaces - done
. I am not crafty so I do not have a "craft" work area. I used this time to make sure the home office was good to go, the wrapping station is organized and the my binder is all set up.
Assess stored crafts materials - done. This doesn't really apply to me, since I do not craft, but I will mark this as complete for the self instant gratification!

Create a seasonal calendar - done.
Everything went into my calendar on my binder. I even "scheduled" a few "no planning days", which I will use to catch up on anything that I fell behind on.

Plan holiday travel - done. We do not travel anywhere over the holidays, however I really wanted to go to Ocean City for their Christmas parade and carriage rides, I planned this out and reserved out room. Looks like it will finally happen this year! Now I just have to convince my DD softball coach to not plan anything for the team that weekend.

Hold a scheduling session - ON HOLD! This is always a tricky one for me. I want to plan it all now and figure out with my extended family who will be hosting (me or my sister), times, menu's, etc. This is always on hold as my sister is still going through a nasty divorce and sadly, the kids are in the middle. She never knows this early what the schedule with my nieces and nephew will look like, when she will have them etc. So this will be on hold until her and her future Ex can get their at together. I do not hold much hope this will be anytime soon. Sigh

Start a set of tear files - done. I have moved some recipes that I tore out and some decorating ideas from the folder into their correct place in my binder.

Start a shopping list. - This is one task that is not done. I am hoping to get this done on Wednesday. I want to go through my cookie recipes and make my lists of all of the baking supplies I still need. Up to now, I have been haphazardly buying extra supplies when I go grocery shopping. (Sugar, flour, vanilla, etc). I need to organize this. I probably have way to much cinnamon and not enough of something or other....lol. I will update once completed. UPDATE - COMPLETED better late than never

Review gift lists - done. This is completed. I have over 75% of my shopping completed...and wrapped! I even have the gifts I have yet to get organized by paycheck so I know what I am getting when.

Inventory unfinished crafts projects - done. Again I do not craft, so here goes the instant gratification cross that off the list yeah me scenario!

Begin a "Gifts to Bake" list. - done. Since I do not craft, I change this from Make to Bake. The list is relatively the same every year, but I took inventory of the tins I have, and what I have to get.

I will now hop on over to HGP and see if there is anything on there that I can get accomplished as well.

Rock on!

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My situation is very similar to Ellen's when it comes to the office. It too is buried in 80 years of paper from my parents who have now both passed away. Its actually MUCH better than it was this time last year. I got truckloads out last Fall (thanks to this forum and Marie Kondo). But more has come in over the past year and as I now handle my brother's administrative needs (and he is not well) my office is an accumulating pile of health insurance, medical papers etc. All this is what moved me to Evernote over the past few years -- which has helped much but entire forests must be crashing to create the kind of paper that comes into this house. However, its getting better and now that its Fall and I'm back here with YOU ALL I am getting ready to rally on tackling all this!

One thing that has happened in the past year with this Bullet Journaling and Happy Planner'ing is that my creative space and my office space have REALLY merged. This is a good thing in that it makes me so happy. And my teenage girls are into it too (so they are actually more organized in their schoolwork). But now I REALLY have art supplies in the middle of my desk. It's kind of a mess.

Week 2 - Calendar & Creative Spaces Week
This Week's Houseworks Focus: Creativity Spaces, Storage and Supplies
  • This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • Create a seasonal calendar. -- Underway. Need to add the tree, and holiday events.
  • Plan holiday travel. -- Staying home.
  • Schedule Now: furnace checks, chimney inspection, carpet cleaning & family photo session.
  • Start updating holiday notebook w/ ideas, recipes, gifts etc. -- Evernote & Pinterest. Need to look.
  • Start--and use--a shopping list. -- Excel list updated. Santa App needs updating too.
  • Begin a "Gifts to BAKE" list. -- Good call on the name. Mine is baking too.

• HOME:
    Declutter creative spaces --
    For this week.
    Assess craft supplies -- Michaels' is having a huge sale this week! (I'm such an enabler.) ;-)

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Checking back in. Got much done today! All drawers cleaned out in my office. Office supplies all put back in order. Decided it looked so good I went to my bedside table (where I have more art supplies stashed) and cleaned all that out too. Now it has much more empty space and what is there is organized and dusted and looking fresh. :)

There's more to go in the office -- will keep on it tomorrow.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm making progress.

Household:
  • Assess stored crafts materials. I need to see what we have for making gift tags/gift bags and make a list of missing items. Done I went through the craft materials. I have what I need to make gift tags and gift bags out of brown paper lunch bags.
Holiday Prep:

• Work on December calendar. I want to figure out some dates and rain/snow dates for family Christmas activities like getting a tree, sibling gift shopping, baking cookies, etc. Done The December calendar is looking good. I put down snow dates so I wouldn't over commit
  • Make shopping lists. I have several shopping lists set up in a spreadsheet from last year that are based on making sure that I have enough dish detergent, laundry detergent, etc. to get me from Thanksgiving through Christmas Day. Done I reviewed my shopping lists and it seems to be in good shape.
  • Review gift lists. Update clothing sizes and shoe sizes. I'm still need a few answers to clothing and shoe sizes. We've had some growth spurts this year so I don't think last years information will apply this year.
  • Gifts to Make list. I have a couple of things that I liked to do before Christmas. I think that I have to schedule it on the calendar to get it done. Done I'm going to write out what I want to do for my own accountabiity. I'm trying to be realistic too.
I want to find, order and then mount group shots of our family vacations on our travel bulletin board.

I want find the vacation photos, upload them to Snapfish or other online photo place and make a photo book for each of our family vacations.

I want to write about at least three of my paternal ancestors and give it to my dad for Christmas. (I did something like this for my mom 5 yrs ago. I’ve been meaning to do this for my dad for ages…)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ugh! I looked at the online photo books and saw that Snapfish is running a special now. So, the perfectionist in my came out. "Oh, let's upload all the family vacation photos to make photo books and take advantage of the sale price that goes unto Tuesday,. Wait. I can't work on it this weekend. I'll have to finish it by Friday," I thought.

Why would I think I could actually do this in two days when it's taken me seven years to get to this point of doing something? :rolleyes: But I did... until I started feeling like it was a race against the clock and I was getting tense. Sigh...

I've decided that I will continue to upload the photos and work on organizing the book but my goal is to get it done by Thanksgiving. However, I will wait until there is another nice sale. The photo books are expensive especially when I want to order 7 of them.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I've been able to cross a few things off my list so far - I set up a Pinterest account. Lucie - you are right, I could spend hours on there. :cool: I have decorated for Fall - I don't have that many decorations, but I will incorporate the Halloween decorations in with them soon. The craft bins have been cleaned out and reorganized and I have set up the shopping list on my computer and in my purse.

I am still working on the budget - things are different this year; I have fewer people to buy for and the cost of postage is going to be an issue, so I am not sure what I am doing yet. I will work on that this weekend.

How is everyone doing this week?

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Well I have done a big, Fat ZERO!
BUT the good news is that I have actually been working on most of this through the year so its not a massive problem to catch up.
I have blocked out some time tomorrow to get it happening.

I will be back.....

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
  • Declutter and clean creative spaces. I dont tend to craft too much but I do like to bake so this will be my main focus - cleaning out the baking cupboard and getting all the things I need together to have a test run of my baked goods before long.
  • Create a seasonal calendar. Im actually multitasking as we speak looking for things to do and have brought a cork board for the hallway to hang calendar on so I will use my multi person calendar to mark ideas on and hang it on there.
  • Plan holiday travel. We dont tend to travel too far at Christmas.
  • Start a set of tear files. AI think I am goign to get a hard back notebook and stick in any recipes or decor ideas into that so I can use it as a reference point each year.
  • Start--and use--a shopping list. I have so many lists its unreal but have made a list on my computer of what to buy in what place so I know where and what to click on payday to get peoples gifts finished.
  • Review gift lists. Main gift list for others is done and ideas and well in only one left to do now is my father.
So I am getting there slowly. The fun of a new puppy means that I am having to do things as and when I am able to at the minute until she settles down but it does give me some much needed time with my planner. Ive also started the HGP so I am finding that that is helping with the cleaning an this is helping with the holiday prep so I dont feel so stressed now! Now I just need to start thinking about doing some wrapping and I will be well on my way!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've gotten lots done this week but need more time on craft declutter. Back with an update tomorrow. :)

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I still haven't established my budget yet and am waiting to find out if my furnace needs to be cleaned.

I will have these tasks done this week - hopefully. :rolleyes:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm late to week 2.

Household Checklist
  • Declutter and Clean Creative Spaces- There is no room in this house to have a dedicated creative space. My creative space will be wherever I can find room when i'm ready. So far it has been the end of the kitchen table closest to the window which always stays free from clutter, so no need to address this area.
  • Assess stored craft materials- I have a pretty healthy supply of school type supplies stashed away. I also have some holiday type stuff. There aren't really any craft stores here on the island and if there are, they charge an arm and a leg, so i'm going to have to make do with what I have or be very creative with what I can find at Walmart or Target.

Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Create a seasonal calendar- I've already started this with school events and breaks. We don't have any social events yet, but I do need to start thinking about my baking schedule and such.
  • No holiday travel here, too crazy expensive from the island.
  • Shopping List- I need to make a list for what I bake each year so I don't have to pull out the recipes and look, I can just check the pantry to see what ingredients I have and don't have.
  • Gift Lists- Haven't even started these yet.
  • Food Gifts- I don't really have any friends here so not sure how many food gifts i'll be making this year except for neighbors.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Late getting this updated and switching gears into the next week. I'm kinda tackling everything at once to get the house back in order after the summer and back to school activities:

Week 2 - Calendar & Creative Spaces Week
This Week's Houseworks Focus: Creativity Spaces, Storage and Supplies
  • This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • Create a seasonal calendar. -- DONE.
  • Plan holiday travel. -- Staying home. DONE.
  • Schedule Now: furnace checks, chimney inspection, carpet cleaning & family photo session.
    DONE. Wood stove guy coming today to give an estimate.
  • Start updating holiday notebook w/ ideas, recipes, gifts etc. -- Evernote & Pinterest. DONE.
  • Start--and use--a shopping list. -- Excel list updated. Santa App in process. MOSTLY DONE.
  • Begin a "Gifts to BAKE" list. -- DONE.

• HOME:
    Declutter creative spaces --
    For this week. DONE.
    Assess craft supplies -- Pretty good shape. Still need shelves. (Discussed with DH). DONE.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Mrs Soup -- I have been considering portable storage for my craft supplies also. More pondering on this one.