Looking after our weight

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
this battle is certainly an up and down one. I think I am doing well and then I fall off the wagon. As long as I get back on again I should be OK.

Reactions: Christmaslvr

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
How's everyone doing? I want to encourage everyone to keep on moving even if it's for 5 minutes at a time.

My schedule changed about 4 weeks ago which meant my exercise time had to change. Now, I walk with my daughter .5 miles to the bus stop and back four days a week. That's about 10 minutes. Then I try to get 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there in between laundry, dinner, homework, etc. Even though it's 5 minutes at a time, it's adding up over the month. My weight has been the same for the last week or so. However, I've noticed a difference in the shape of my arms and legs. I'm getting more muscle.

I also decided not to fuss about being in work out clothes when exercising for 5 minutes. That was a big excuse for not exercising. Now, if I have 5 minutes to spare before work, I will lift arm weights or walk in my work clothes.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Last week I lost 2.6. Will see what this Thursday eve brings. My scale isn't moving any. I get in trouble because I get full on veggies and fruit and don't eat all my points.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've had a disastrous week with my eating. I've just not had the heart for it. Our week starts over for Weight Watchers Thursday, so I'm going to hop back on then. I don't think I'm going to weigh-in. I had a gain last week and don't think I can face it two weeks in a row.

Every little bit helps, so I'm not giving up. I still have too much to go to give in now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I know that I have lost this week but only due to not eating because of my anxiety. Not healthy, I know that when I eat again it will go straight back on. Just need to eat slowly and well. Spring is here so we tend to eat a bit healthier in the Spring and Summer months so hopefully things will go in the right direction.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I've fallen off the wagon since Hurricane Irma...trying to get back on, the struggle is real!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I had lost about 50 pounds, then summer came and the grandkids here a lot, picnics, get togethers make it really hard. Then I would do good for a few days and then I would eat like crazy. I am a stress eater so it doesn't help matters. However, I have lost another 6 pounds. The key for me I do believe is the water that I am drinking. I really slacked off on my water consumption and it shows. I try to drink 90-100 oz of water a day. If I don't the weight is slower to come off.

Reactions: Christmaslvr

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I had a follow up visit this week for some health issues. I've lost 7 lbs. in a month. :) Part was due to the mediciation and part is really watching my carb intake. My glucose and good cholesterol are not in the normal range so I have to cut out sugar to lower the glucose and exercise more to lower the cholesterol. I love sugar and cream in my coffee. :( I'll gradually decrease the sugar in my coffee to get use to it. I've switched over to plain oatmeal for a quick breakfast since that has no sugar at all. That's an adjustment too.

Onward!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Holiday_Mom,
7 lbs is a great effort. I really need to cut back on the carbs (am eating toast as I write this o_O). I lost the most weight just by cutting out carbs and snacks. Need to get back to that.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Yes, I think carbs and snacks are the toughest for me too. I'm rethinking our eating habits for the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. The last two years I've made way too much food for our Christmas Eve party and then spent the next week eating it so it didn't go bad.

As my children, nieces and nephews get older, they eat more and so I make more. However, some of them are coming from Christmas Eve dinner elsewhere and are stopping by for a visit after they've eaten. I really don't think that I need as much appetizers and desserts as I've been putting out. I'll have to ponder this some more.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Yes, I think carbs and snacks are the toughest for me too. I'm rethinking our eating habits for the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. The last two years I've made way too much food for our Christmas Eve party and then spent the next week eating it so it didn't go bad.
As my children, nieces and nephews get older, they eat more and so I make more. However, some of them are coming from Christmas Eve dinner elsewhere and are stopping by for a visit after they've eaten. I really don't think that I need as much appetizers and desserts as I've been putting out. I'll have to ponder this some more.

How about some fresh fruit and cheese and/or flavored popcorn. You could serve a nice punch or hot drinks , like cider, tea, and hot chocolate. Chance are they have had desert before they came. Keep it real simple if you can.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
This is a good thread.

I try to eat clean. Sometimes Paleo. Sometimes just gluten free. I don't eat dairy other than Greek yogurt. I like SweetLeaf Water Drops Stevia Water Enhancer Raspberry Lemonade for my water during the day. I make a flatbread for sandwiches that is coconut flour and pumpkin (https://empoweredsustenance.com/grain-free-butternut-flatbread/). I try exercising some every day. About four years ago, I did calorie counting. I was amazed at things like 100 cal per tablespoon of mayo or butter or olive oil. And I didn't realize the calories in a half cup of rice or pasta. I used to eat way more than a half cup serving! So, I now try to watch portions. I'm 54 and the 'ole metabolism is slower ... I could stand to lose 15 pounds.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
How about some fresh fruit and cheese and/or flavored popcorn. You could serve a nice punch or hot drinks , like cider, tea, and hot chocolate. Chance are they have had desert before they came. Keep it real simple if you can.
I like the fresh fruit idea! A little bit of sweetness but not too filling either. Thanks!

Reactions: jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just back from our holiday and both DH and I need to lose some weight. I know that I put on while I was away as the all you can eat breakfast buffet was too tempting. DH was certainly looking a bit bigger than I have seen hm in a long while. Made me realise that the bad habits that I have do impact on other people. Would hate for DH to feel as uncomfortable as I do. I told him last night that it is time to start to look after ourselves and to look after the kids too. What we eat is what they eat and although they are both well within the healthy weight range it would not take much for them to start being unhealthy,

MerryMandy

Retire Member
Sep 17, 2012
You are definitely not alone! I let my weight go for too long this year and now I'm struggling to slim down before holiday pictures. My sister in law has been trying to sell me on Beachbody basically as long as I've been complaining about my weight, so I finally took them up on one of their free trials:
https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/online-workouts-videos.do

I've decided if I'm still with it in two weeks, I'll buy my own and keep going!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
How's everyone doing?

It's been stressful for the last week helping someone deal with a situation that is beyond my control. I noticed that I go two routes when I can't do a thing for a person struggling. I either clean like crazy or I go for junk food. The cleaning part I already recognized but the eating part was new. I could physically feel a reaction to eat. I'm wondering if having a pack of gum around would be a better option. Has anyone else tried that?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have done the gum. It seems to satisfy taste buds because your really not hungry.
I have not done well I have ignored the scales I got on last week and yikes! I put in a jar the # of marbles for each pound I need to loose. I have transferred 5 marbles to another jar for the 5 lbs I have lost. More water less carbs. I was doing eat when hungry but tomorrow will start with eating 6 small meals with the same amount of carbs each meal to keep blood sugars level. We'll see. Christmas day will be the day I don't restrict my diet. will get back on track the 26th.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I have done the gum. It seems to satisfy taste buds because your really not hungry.
I have not done well I have ignored the scales I got on last week and yikes! I put in a jar the # of marbles for each pound I need to loose. I have transferred 5 marbles to another jar for the 5 lbs I have lost. More water less carbs. I was doing eat when hungry but tomorrow will start with eating 6 small meals with the same amount of carbs each meal to keep blood sugars level. We'll see. Christmas day will be the day I don't restrict my diet. will get back on track the 26th.

I love the idea of using the marbles. It seems like a good visual aid.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I joined dd and dgs on their fitness journey. Today is day 1 - we will be tracking BMI. My start # is ugly. My plan is to increase water, eat healthier with more fruits & veggies and fewer starches, increase activity, and sleep longer.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I joined dd and dgs on their fitness journey. Today is day 1 - we will be tracking BMI. My start # is ugly. My plan is to increase water, eat healthier with more fruits & veggies and fewer starches, increase activity, and sleep longer.
Awesome!
I just had a watermelon smoothie ... I threw in the cut up hunks that were pretty ripe and one frozen banana and turned on the blender! Yummy with fiber!!