MASTER Freezer Cooking Thread - All Plans!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good time to get that thread restarted!
I just froze some cabbage rolls, a pepper casserole and some brownies. I also froze fudge, r-krispie squares, skors squares, date squares, thumbprint cookies.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Since I love you guys, I'm going to share the awesomeness of this recipe from DMIL! I can Asian Plum Sauce every summer and that together with these equals heaven. We're having these next weekend and I'm so excited!

Polish Egg Rolls

These babies are SO good! The filling can be made and frozen flat in ziplock bags until needed. Thaw in fridge then fill egg roll wrappers as usual and fry!

1 Onion, minced
1 Small head of Cabbage, chopped fine
1 Tb Celery Seed
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Vinegar
2 Tb Bacon Grease

Mix these ingredients and cook for approximately 2 hours on low heat. Then add below ingredients and cook for an additional hour on low stirring frequently.

1 Tb Peanut Butter
2 lb Country Sausage (Cooked and crumbled)
1 Large Stalk Bok Choy, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, small, smashed
2 cups Bean Sprouts

Will need 2 packages Egg Roll Wraps, approximately. Spoon small amount onto each wrapper - enough to still be able to easily close it up. Dip finger into dish of water and lightly moisten edges of wrapper as needed to help "glue" together as you wrap/roll it up.

Fry at 375 until a nice golden brown!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
AJ, I copied this to try. I'll have to figure out what to use since I haven't found gluten free egg roll wrappers yet. I'm sure I can find something online to use instead. Thanks

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tested a couple new freezer appetizers this weekend - SUCCESS! :)

Italian Pastry Roll Ups

No defrost needed! Serves 12

1 (17 oz) box puff pastry sheets

1 cup ricotta

1 cup jarred spaghetti sauce

1 cup mozz, shred

Freezing Day: Defrost sheets and lay flat. Spread ricotta cheese on sheets, then sauce and top with mozz. Starting on long side, roll up pastry. Wet tips of fingers with water and seal edge of pastry down. Using serrated knife, cut each roll into 6-8 slices Lay slices on baking sheet and flash freeze.

Place frozen slices on baking sheet and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.

MY NOTES: Whenever I use puff pastry sheets I roll them out larger/thinner - as far as I can without making too thin. I just flour my rolling surface well, flour the top and go. This meant that 1 cup of sauce and 1 cup of ricotta only did one sheet. I was out of ricotta at that point so I experimented with my next recipe!

Final thought, these baked up BEAUTIFUL! Basically they tasted like mini pizzas, I could see adding some finely chopped pepperoni or finely chopped browned sausage bits to the mix and it turning out well. Probably wouldn't want to add too much though because of the grease factor.

Herb Cheese Puffs

No Defrost Needed!

1 Sheet Puff Pastry
4-5 oz Cream Cheese, Softened
2-3 Garlic Cloves, finely minced (more or less to taste)
1 tsp dried dill
1 T dried chives
1/4 t black pepper
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 to 1/2 t dried onion powder

Roll out thawed puff pastry sheet as large as it will go without getting TOO thin. Spread entire sheet with cream cheese mixed with rest of ingredients. Roll up jelly roll style. Chill for at least 1/2 hour or so to make cutting easier.

Use a serrated knife of a cheese slicer (wire kind with plenty of room) to cut 3/4 to 1 inch slices off the roll.

Freeze on wax paper lined cookie sheets then transfer to freezer bag.

Cook from frozen at 350 for 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned.

You could also choose to brush these with milk or egg wash right before baking to improve the color!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ohmigosh -- I went back into this thread and now have a ton of new open tabs on my computer to look at all these recipes links. So many I will have to close up shop and revisit this in the morning with a cup of coffee. Such great stuff!

I'm looking to see if anyone is using an Instant Pot these day? Or Sous Vide?

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have a instapot and have used it some. There is a Facebook group full of ideas (and occasional attitudes) I want to do more in it.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
AuntJamelle - Re the Polish Egg Rolls:
What brand of sausage do you like for these? Also -- have you ever mixed up the seasonings and tried other cuisines for this? Looks like a versatile recipe.... Love that this can be frozen!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Honestly, I've just always used the plain pork sausage from Aldi when making these. :) I have not played with seasonings but you are right, there is definite possibility there! Maybe a Mexican variation? Not sure! Will have to think about that one!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Made a huge step forward in my Paleo snack foods by making a big batch of Oven Baked Turkey Meatballs last night (6 lbs). The new cookie dough scoop I just invested in made relatively quick work of it.

Used this recipe:
http://fashionablefoods.com/2015/10/13/easy-turkey-meatballs-whole-30/

Flippin' delicious! I increased the almond flour to 1/3c per batch. And doubled the Oregeno. Had them with DS last night dipped in tomato sauce and he loved them too. Froze them in bags of 15. I plan to pull these out in small amounts so I have them for quick snack grabs instead of choosing less healthy options - like Peanut Butter. Also think my daughter will likely grab them as she runs out the door. In fact, I think EVERYONE will be grabbing them. Next step in to come up with a bunch of dips and marinade (thai peanut sauce being at the top of my list). And probably a Sriracha one. And maybe..... hmmm.. lots of options! Would be nice to freeze some dips / dressings / sauces in ice cube trays and park them next to the meatballs. Will have to ponder that one some.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul