SuperBowl 2018...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The big game is less than a month away!!! Woot! Woot!

Is anyone planning a gathering for the game? What fun football food do you like to serve?

Normally friends of ours host a party every year the Saturday before the game. The thought being that people prefer not to have to get up early the next day for work - they usually play recordings of vintage superbowl games including commercials which is fun.

However this year they are in the middle of home improvements and can't host. So we have stepped into the breach and will be doing it this year.

But we are going to have it on the actual Sunday of the game with the understanding that few if any will stay for the whole game since it runs so late. We have DS's birthday party on the Saturday before the game and there is no way I could handle two parties in one day! LOL

For food DH is going to smoke a brisket - Yum! I'll serve with buns, various types of mustard, BBQ and maybe a horseradishy type sauce + slices of cheese.

Beyond that I am thinking of making:

- Cucumber Appetizer Bites http://healthyfoodadvices.com/cucumber-bites-appetizers/

- Shrimp Cocktail

- Texas Trash Dip + Tortilla Chips

- Bacon Wrapped Pinwheels (already in freezer)

- Twice Baked New Potatoes (also in freezer)

- Buffalo Bacon Cheese ball + Crackers

- Brownies

- Edwards Key Lime Pie (already have it in the freezer!)

- Champagne Party Punch

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am not sure if we will host, we may since we have the biggest house in the family and can easily accommodate a gathering. Either way thinking about making pulled pork sandwiches, pepperoni bread, pigs in the a blanket and simple sides like coleslaw, chips & pretzels. Even if we don't host other family we will have left overs for lunches for the week :) which would make my mornings easier that week.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Lots of people here are renting out their houses or extra room for this event. I'll be hiding as soon as I hear it on TV with a good book. lol

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I just looked at those cucumber bites and I love it! It's so healthy and nice looking at the same time. I may give it a try this year.

We typically eat a tossed salad, Buffalo chicken dip, crackers, carrots and celery sticks. I also put out chicken tenders with honey mustard sauce, BBQ sauce and mustard. I keep it simple after all the time spent on food preparation and cooking/baking for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Mary - The cucumber bites really are very good! The biggest tip I can give is patting the cucumber part dry a couple of times before filling. I've made these several hours ahead and kept uncovered in fridge just fine. If keeping overnight in fridge I would cover them somehow but they taste great the next day too - which we know from having leftovers! :) Your menu plans sound perfect - simple but yummy!

Ahorsesoul - Enjoy your book!

Minta - Your menu sounds delish!

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Thanks AJ ..

Those cucumber bites do look good .. maybe for Easter :)

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
my daughter and her husband always hosts. hes achef so i always look fwd to see what he cooks. i will bring dessert not sure yet what it will be

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
My family just got invited to a Super Bowl pot luck party. For food, the hostess is doing a Soup-er Bowl Party theme. She said that she is making bread bowls for everyone and will also provide crackers. Each family is asked to bring a crockpot of their favorite soup or chili to share. She said she will also have the usual fare of wings, pizza, etc. I will be bringing my Turkey Gnocchi Soup as found in Taste of Home.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I love the Soup-er Bowl idea!!! How perfect! I will have to remember that in case we have the party again one year!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
My work does a Superbowl party on Friday before the game. Just a potluck lunch. Last year I made sausage and peppers and it was a huge hit. This year they are providing wings and pizza and we will have a sign-up sheet for appetizers, sides, drinks, desserts. Not sure what I will be doing yet.

At home we don't watch the game or anything. Just a regular Sunday. I enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing and cooking! Sometimes I like to try something new just for fun.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
We just have our adult kids over and have hot wings. I tell people I don't watch the superbowl, I'm just the superbowl chef. It takes so long to bake that many wings..I literally cook pretty much the whole time. I use to not mind, but now that the grandbabies are over I wish I had a tad bit more time with them.

Normally we have queso dip as well, but this year I'm thinking of making buffalo mac and cheese to go with the wings. That sounds soooo yummy! Has anyone made it before?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'll let you know which one I end up using. I just seen it in the coupons this past Sunday again and I don't have that one in front of me. I've never made it, but after I research I'll share what I end up making.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
We'll be routing with Sophia for the Patriots - she's Tom's girl through and through. You can take the girl out of New England, but you'll never take the New England Patriots out of the girl!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
How did the big game go for everyone?

Our party was a success - pretty much everyone we invited ended up coming which meant a full house! It was so nice to see everyone, some of our friends that came we haven't seen for quite some time with one thing and another!

Many of our friends have kids that are teenagers - mostly girls - and a couple of the girls from a few different families also brought a girl friend with them - so we had quite the crowd! At one point our entire living room was filled with girls sitting side by side on couches, etc. all with heads bent over their phones. UGGGGGHHHH

Our dogs helped break the ice I think. And eventually they all ended up gathered around the kitchen table playing cards and laughing - very nice to see that!

The boys were great too - playing with DS and the one other little one there - and winning my heart by telling me how much they love to eat at my house :)

The brisket that DH smoked turned out COMPLETELY AWESOME. It was his best yet! Poor man miscalculated on how long it would take to smoke and put it in too early - then ended up staying up ALL NIGHT to make sure it didn't over cook. I think he took it out at 7AM Sunday morning? He was a hero!!!

All my cucumber bites disappeared - shrimp ring was a hit as usual, even the new cheeseball recipe was demolished. And all my bacon wrapped appetizers and little twice baked potatoes got eaten too.

Even the chocolate sheet cake I put out was mostly eaten which surprised me - but all those kids helped take care of THAT!

Everyone brought yummy things too so we had a crazy amount of food but we did it justice! Everyone left towards the end of half time - which was fine. We figured that. It went by too fast though!

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
We also had a great time at the Soup-er Bowl party we were invited to. Everyone brought great soup to share, and my chicken gnocchi soup was a hit. There was also a seafood bisque (nod to New England), and a Philly Cheese steak and vegetable soup (nod to the Philadelphia Eagles). The hostess also provided chili, homemade bread bowls, cheese and cracker tray, pizza and wings. It was all delicious. We all stayed until the halftime show was over. It was a great time with great friends.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sounds like everyone had a great time with their Super Bowl parties.