Looking Ahead to Christmas in July 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
It's never too early to start thinking about Christmas in July. Now that Christmas 2017 is still fresh in your mind, are there any themes you'd like to explore during Christmas in July? Here's a recap of what we've done over the past few years - send over your ideas. Is everyone good with a weekly theme, the calendar lines up the weeks beautifully this year - Week One would be July 1-7, Week Two July 8-14, Week Three July 15-21, Week Four July 22-28, and Week Five July 29-31? Looks like last year we rolled the last three days into Week Four or we could have those days as Wrap It Up as we did in 2014. It could be a literal Wrap as in paper, tags, package decor or a Wrap as in a summary of your CIJ.

I like the idea of revisiting the Pinterest Christmas Party idea from 2014 (but rather than picking three ideas for everyone, we could each pick three of our own and share them - I know I have lots of things on my Pinterest boards that I have yet to try) and the 2012 month-long theme is also interesting. I wasn't an MHH member in 2012 so I didn't participate in that one but one theme might be fun.

2012:

For 2012 our theme is "Oh Christmas Tree."

Last year we did weekly themes and that got a bit hectic....so this year we will have a month long theme. I have been gathering lots of Christmas tree ideas....and by that I mean lots of different trees to actually make to sit on counter tops, tables, and mantles. I'll be posting links to some of the ideas soon so you can gather materials. I am planning to craft trees all month long!

2013:

June 30-July 6: I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas (white color schemes, snow themes, snowmen décor, “snowy” recipes, etc.) Think white, think winter, think sparkle!!

July 7-July13: Silver and Gold (color schemes, wrapping, ornaments, centerpieces, etc.)

July 14-July 20: It’s a Sweet Christmas (candy tablescapes, recipes, décor, ornaments, and other sweet items for celebrating the holidays)

July 21-27: Christmas Traditions (personal traditions, ideas from around the world, fun things to make holiday memories)

July 28-August 3: Planning 2013 (share personal goals, plans and ideas for 2013)

2014:

This year's theme is a Magical Christmas 2014 and each week has a "sub" theme.

Week One Theme: Trees, Treasures, and Traditions

This week will focus on sharing ideas, thoughts, memories etc about three of the BIGGIES of the holiday season.....our trees, things we treasure about the season and traditions.

Week Two Theme: Magical Recipes

This week the focus will switch to recipes. Time to pull out those recipes and make some decisions about how Christmas 2014 will "taste."

Week Three Theme: Magic Elves 2014

Magic elf adventures, printables, notebooks and other manner of Magic Elf fun will be discussed this week.

Week Four Theme: A Pinterest Christmas Party

I'd like to feature THREE pinterest crafts or ideas this week and we will make them and discuss and share them at our pinterest party. I'll try to get these up the first week of the month so everyone can gather supplies. This will also be a good week for sharing pins that you have for Christmas!

Week Five Theme: Wrap It Up

This is a short week as we move into August. We will talk about gift presentation, getting your wrapping dne and just "wrap up" Christmas in July.

2015:

I've been pondering themes for our Christmas in July 2015 celebration....

July 1-4th: Color Themes (A sharing of color schemes for Christmas , traditional, and otherwise)

July 5th-11th Vintage/Shabby Chic: (Everything from a dinner party to the tree to the mantle display....let's talk vintage or shabby chic)

July 12th-18th: Magical Christmas Countdowns...this is the week to talk advent calendars, Twelve days of Christmas or the 24 Days of Christmas or even the Elves Countdown....how do you remember the days of December?

July 19th-25th Woodland Inspiration/Rustic/Cabin themes (Everything from a party theme to a tree to a mantle display.....let's talk rustic...)

July 26-31st: Christmas in the Kitchen....every thing from menu plans to tablescapes, recipes and how to ....will all be shared this week!

2016:

Week One (July 1-9) - AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TABLE/IN YOUR CHRISTMAS KITCHEN - holiday foods, traditional foods in your family/from your culture or country of origin, gingerbread, cookies, menus, fancy drink recipes, table décor and kitchen decorating...anything and everything to do with food and how to prepare it and serve it.

Week Two (July 10-16) - ALL WRAPPED UP - gifts (homemade, age appropriate), gift lists, gift exchanges, stocking stuffers, wrapping styles, gifts from the heart (charitable giving, blessing bags/kits, Angel Trees, Operation Shoebox).

Week Three (July 17-23) - DECKING THE HALLS - trees, lighting, indoor/outdoor ideas, nativities, personal style, ornaments (homemade, purchased, hand-me-downs, vintage finds, collectibles), Winter Wonderland, Snowmen, Christmas cottages/villages/trains, penguins.

Week Four (July 24-31) – HOLIDAY FUN/ENTERTAINMENT – Christmas movies, music, theater, books, church and school events, special activities and events in your area, games, holiday books, Christmas travel, Christmas markets, parties and party themes, Advent calendars, Elf on the Shelf, Christmas countdowns.

2017:

Week 1 (July 1-July 8):
Christmas Characters (Santa, Snowman, Gingerbread People, Rudolph, Elves, Penguin) - how you decorate with them (inside and out), visits to any of the characters, other ideas

Week 2 (July 9-15): Wrapping (paper, boxes, tags, bows, unique ideas, how your organize your supplies, and since wrapping is all about the gifts, show us your gift closet and any updates to it through the month)

Week 3 (July 16-July 22): Nature/Rustic/Country (decorations, visits, etc.)

Week 4 (July 23-July 31): Wreaths and other Greenery

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Agree, never too early! :D I think weekly themes are great to continue! I like the Pinterest idea too - although I don't know if I could commit to making anything that particular week! I think it would be fun to share links to our boards or even to certain pins that we want to highlight. Although I know I have pins that would probably go with each weekly theme we choose - I have a LOT of pins :oops:

Perhaps a week theme that is focused on decor skills? Making a tree look fuller, different tree decorating tips and tricks/techniques - making it look brighter, ways to do garland - ribbon vs. tinsel vs. beads and so on? Ways to get that Pinterest look in a frugal way? Wreath making? Obviously it could turn into a broad topic but I know I am always looking for new things to learn that make decorating easier. Ways to hide cords, to hang things in spaces without putting nails in the walls, etc.

Just a thought!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Agree, never too early! :D I think weekly themes are great to continue! I like the Pinterest idea too - although I don't know if I could commit to making anything that particular week! I think it would be fun to share links to our boards or even to certain pins that we want to highlight. Although I know I have pins that would probably go with each weekly theme we choose - I have a LOT of pins :oops:

Perhaps a week theme that is focused on decor skills? Making a tree look fuller, different tree decorating tips and tricks/techniques - making it look brighter, ways to do garland - ribbon vs. tinsel vs. beads and so on? Ways to get that Pinterest look in a frugal way? Wreath making? Obviously it could turn into a broad topic but I know I am always looking for new things to learn that make decorating easier. Ways to hide cords, to hang things in spaces without putting nails in the walls, etc.

Just a thought!
I like that idea! A Sharing Your Decor Skills theme.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I like the Sharing your decor skills too! and ways to make decorating easier.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Dang we've had some good stuff the last couple years I've missed out on. There was a time when July wasn't so crazy and I participated all month. Hopefully I can keep my July calm, but we'll see how it plays out. I am having a CIJ dinner this year though for sure.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Dang we've had some good stuff the last couple years I've missed out on. There was a time when July wasn't so crazy and I participated all month. Hopefully I can keep my July calm, but we'll see how it plays out. I am having a CIJ dinner this year though for sure.
What do you do for your CIJ dinner? Is it for family and friends or just one group or the other?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Pamela it's usually my family and a few friends. I have a set 4 or 5 that join us and then it varies from there. Each year we have a a small theme. We've done Ugly Sweaters, A Hawaiian Christmas, one year we all wore hats or Christmas headbands of some sort, our last party we had a Mad Men theme. We all dressed up in our fancy 50 and 60's outfits and had food that was served back then. Deviled eggs, jello salad, swedish meatballs, a relish tray, punch and some other popular "party" recipes from back then. That was sooooo fun! We also pick names and do a gift exchange. I put up a small tree and try and set a fancy table. I think my friends look forward to it as much as I do now. In fact my odler aunt says she likes it better then Christmas because it's not as stressful as Christmas with all the other hoopla.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Pamela it's usually my family and a few friends. I have a set 4 or 5 that join us and then it varies from there. Each year we have a a small theme. We've done Ugly Sweaters, A Hawaiian Christmas, one year we all wore hats or Christmas headbands of some sort, our last party we had a Mad Men theme. We all dressed up in our fancy 50 and 60's outfits and had food that was served back then. Deviled eggs, jello salad, swedish meatballs, a relish tray, punch and some other popular "party" recipes from back then. That was sooooo fun! We also pick names and do a gift exchange. I put up a small tree and try and set a fancy table. I think my friends look forward to it as much as I do now. In fact my odler aunt says she likes it better then Christmas because it's not as stressful as Christmas with all the other hoopla.
What a great idea! Must file this away for future use. Thank you!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have not done CIJ here for years. The last time we did it we just had a beautiful roast dinner with all the trimmings. Because July is cold here we did a wintery meal and decorations. We decorated the table as we would for Christmas with candles and bon bons. We served mulled wine and hot chocolate and gave out little gifts. I need to decide whether or not to go ahead but it certainly sounds like fun.

Reactions: housewife2

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Oh, Michelle, this sounds like fun! I'm going to really think on this one and maybe do something like that. I think it would give me an idea of what Christmas would feel like weather wise if we lived in an area that was warm in December.

Katrina, I love Christmas in winter but then again, it is all I know. What are some popular Christmas songs in Australia?

I have heard that some of the New Jersey shore towns have Christmas in July events. One place has a boat parade where all the boats are decked out in Christmas lights. Another town has Santa visit the beach while he is on "vacation." Can you imagine the little ones seeing Santa walking around in July?!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We have not done CIJ in a very long time. We are usually to busy and its usually to hot to make a big heavy dinner.... Maybe do a CIJ breakfast? Will have to think about that one.

Reactions: PamelaG

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary,
I know what you mean about only ever celebrating in one season.
Favourite Christmas songs? All the standards, Silent Night, and my favourite Oh Holy Night.
It does get a little funny when we start singing White Christmas and the weather is in the high 90's lol.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
been thinking of doing a luncheon with some girls from work we all love christmas. would be fun to do in july

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I usually try to plan something with one of my girlfriends each year. Maybe I can try to invite a few over this year. The usual agenda includes testing recipes while either listening to Christmas music or having a Christmas movie on in the background.

We have little snacks/appetizers - maybe test a Christmas cocktail recipe :) and just do a lot of talking - it's nice!

Reactions: housewife2

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
When we do our CIJ events, we defiantly don't do a full blown Christmas dinner. It's always some variance....and the music is usually "Light" too if that makes any sense. My daughter bought me a retro "Cocktail Party" album the year we did mad men. The Hawaiian year we played Bette Midler and then Hawaiian type music. That year one of the funnest memories was the kids having a water blaster fight in their Hawaiian clothes. Just a lot of great photos.

I might of said above, but one of the older Aunts comes and joins us..and she just LOVES doing it in July because she says it's the best of Christmas without all the commercialization of the holidays now. I don't say that I agree with her really, but she just loves the low expectation, having fun and exchanging ONE gift with someone. I think she'd give up Christmas if she could and just do CIJ with my family if she had a choice over her own family.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
My christmas in july is watching and ordering from QVC and i make popcorn and being that it is very hot here i do my own ice cream but,i color it it's red & green and i do a cool drink which is green it does make it a bit festive.

Reactions: luludou

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've been thinking about CIJ 2018! :D

I'm still planning on having some girlfriends over one Saturday late in July. I want to test Royal Icing on sugar cookies for sure.

I also a recipe for Cheese Garlic and Herb Bread that would be perfect - I think - as part of the several Italian themed food gift baskets I am going to do at Christmas this year. But I want to test the recipe first - so hoping to do that as part of CIJ celebrations as well!