Aldi

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I like the idea of the olden days ... local fresh family owned shops. :) Like ... on the Andy Griffith show! Ha! Boy how cool would it be to have the butter, milk, and egg man deliver to my door!! :p

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Some areas here still have a Milkman/ Lady.
We had one when I was little. Most houses had a double hinged cupboard that opened into either the kitchen or laundry room from both sides. The milkman would leave the milk really early in the morning. You would put your order in - full cream, skim etc. They also did cream, eggs, custard etc but I don't remember butter. Mum used to have a standing order and would pay once a week. She would leave a note if for some reason she needed extra on a particular day.

We do have a small but extremely well stocked local shop. If they know you they will set up an account and will deliver via a phone order.

Our major supermarkets here have online ordering. You can order your groceries and have them delivered. Its a big thing here. I have been known to do it quite often. Delivery is free to your kitchen bench and you can choose a 2 hour time slot for them to arrive. Its free if you order over I think $75. Personal shoppers walk the aisles and pick the orders so you can order small amounts- eg: a single apple. You can leave detailed instructions. I like avocados- so if i order 2 I will ask for 1 ripe one to eat today and one not quite ripe to eat in a few days time. Its time consuming to set it up the first time but after that its easy- as most people re buy the same stuff week after week.

Reactions: jampss

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Some of the Walmart stores in our region have online ordering. You pay when you order. They bring it out to your car when you get there. DD25 does it. She says all the produce she has ordered was perfect and the remainder of her order was perfect, too. She says grocery shopping is a waste of her time:cool:.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am definitely an Aldi shopper! We have one close to our home and I go weekly. Unfortunately right now it is closed for remodeling until the end of February :(

They recently redid the one in a town just south of us that we have family in and they rave about how fantastic it's been since the redo. They're enlarging the stores slightly I guess and just making them look nicer. Hopefully that doesn't mean a big hike in prices!

For canned goods, baking supplies, Mexican foods, pastas, produce and many frozen items I just cannot beat Aldi price or quality. I've had some things I've not been a fan of, but it's rare. I love all the special items they bring in seasonally and I LOVE their WINE selection. Great prices for really good wines.

Trader Joes and Aldi are actually the same company I believe. Many of the Aldi items are name brands under different packaging. Domino sugar, etc.

I do go to Meijer for the things I can't get at Aldi and I don't but a lot of fresh meat there. But we swear by their marinated turkey breasts - boy are they GOOD! And healthy!

I love that they use no artificial food colorings in their products and no MSG.

Really looking forward to seeing what our store looks like when it reopens!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I will have to try the marinated turkey breast!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Trader Joe is up around St. Louis. Our local KMart is closing in April. Word just came out this past week. More Sears too but we had already lost the big sears stores. Sams is in O'Fallon. K-Mart is to start marking down the 12th of January. I like their kid clothes selection at times.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lana, sorry to hear that the Sears is closing. Unfortunately, they haven't kept up with fashion trends, which has cost them customers. I hope they don't go down the tubes all together. DH loves their Craftsmen stuff, and I think they have some of the most reliable appliances.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Lana, sorry to hear that the Sears is closing. Unfortunately, they haven't kept up with fashion trends, which has cost them customers. I hope they don't go down the tubes all together. DH loves their Craftsmen stuff, and I think they have some of the most reliable appliances.
Yes, we like Craftmen and appliances ... but there was talk of our Sears, in the mall, closing. Bummer. Macy's, in the mall, is closing.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Just got back from morning shopping at Aldi's. You know, I could eat cheap and healthy ... if it was just me. ;) LOL But picky husband and somewhat the kids ... sigh ..

Trying to figure out groceries, menu, and budget. It's hard. :eek:

Aldi's had .69 lb chicken legs today. I got tow large packs for 6.50. Sure, DH prefers white meat ... but I bake and debone and shred and put it in things and he's ok with it. It's cheap! He's also not the veggie guy ... so it's always a struggle to figure that out in menu planning. Salads are good as long as it's romaine and carrots. That's it. Well, dressing. Luckily, the kids do eat veggies better than dad, but they also have their sensory integration issues with some food textures. Again ... sigh .... o_O

I have searched "cheap healthy food" ... looking for ideas ... rice, beans, bananas ... what do you all like?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hmmm...cheap and healthy and something the family will eat - #neverendingstruggle !!!

My DH is also not a fan of anything but white meat when it comes to chicken. And he doesn't like recipes where it is just a chicken breast cooked with some sort of sauce either.

Purchasing whole chickens and roasting them yourself is one frugal thing. Then you can also make your own chicken stock from the bones - either right away or freeze the bones for later. I do this a few times a year and freeze the chicken stock for use in recipes.

I've also made my own refried beans from the Aldi pinto beans - have a crockpot recipe for that. Then you freeze in amounts that equal a can. I have a layered taco dip recipe that we use as a main dish that uses refried beans as the base layer.

If you like using cream of soups but worry about the extra stuff in them you can DIY those as well and freeze for use later.

If DH likes carrots, maybe try roasting baby carrots in a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper then tossing in something...either browned butter sauce or some sort of parmesan cheese/herb mix. There are lots of recipes out there - I can share some we've liked.

Pasta dishes with smaller amounts of meat added are cheaper to make usually...I've learned to make my own alfredo sauces but usually just buy jars of spaghetti type sauce when called for.

Asian foods are another option to explore...there are healthier stir fry type recipes out there...or even baked crab rangoon or egg rolls...some can be made ahead and frozen. Then you can serve with rice. Fried rice is easy to make at home too for something different and can be made ahead and frozen if you wanted to.

I feel like a lot of the ways to save $ do involve planning ahead. Getting things out of the freezer the day before to thaw, making rice the day before you want to make fried rice, etc.

I'd make a list of ingredients or recipes that your family does like and then start googling or searching Pinterest for variations on those items. Feel free to share that list here and anyone that has a frugal recipe or idea can shout it out!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Purchasing whole chickens and roasting them yourself is one frugal thing.

I found a recipe where you take a whole fryer, turn it "butt" side down over a bundt pan, put it on a baking sheet to catch juices, season it however you want, put 1/4 cup chicken broth, 2 TBSP. lemon juice in the pan, and whatever herbs you prefer. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes to an hour or until tests done with meat thermometer.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
So an Aldi just opened up 5 minutes from my job YAY .. I have only shopped a few times at Aldi. What are some of your favorite items to buy there and what are some items you would stay away from. The only thing my kids are big on name brand stuff is cereal and peanut butter. My grocery budget has increased a lot in the past year partly to the kids get older. Teen/preteen eat more then little kids plus our kids always have friends stopping by so I am looking to curb my grocery budget. I cook dinner almost every day plus I pack lunches for all of use each day for school/work.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Get the frozen pizzas a really good buy at $2.00 great for when kids have friends over. Crackers and cookies are good. Baking mixes, brownies, cake and muffin mixes are good. Loaves of bread are good. Ice cream, and treats are a good buy too. Toliet paper is thin for the 1000 sheets and the other runs out quickly.
. There is some name brand cereal. Dairy case is also good. DH and I have been shopping there for years and eat what we can get there rather than run around from store to store.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minta

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Agree with Miss JoDee.

I also get produce. Salad vegetables and bananas for smoothie that I put spinach in.

Their flax tortilla chips and mango salsa is a great snack.

My kids like the ALDI brand Honey Nut Cheerios.

Almond milk, ground turkey, Hebrew national hotdogs, butter, bacon, deli pizzas ... all good.

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Thanks ladies, I made a quick stop yesterday and picked up some bread and couple bags of chips. I saw some decent prices on several things so I am sure my next trip there will be a lot larger.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I shop at Aldi quite often. I stock up on a few of the items that I only get from there, margarine, de-caf coffee for DH etc.
I look at their catalogue every week for their special buys and often pick up great stocking fillers. Soon they will have their 4th of July catalogue and I will stock up on the things that the kids like but cannot get anywhere else.
We are lucky that the Aldi here is right next door to one of the bigger supermarkets so if I don't get everything off my Aldi list I can literally push the trolley to the next store.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I shop at Aldi quite often. I stock up on a few of the items that I only get from there, margarine, de-caf coffee for DH etc.
I look at their catalogue every week for their special buys and often pick up great stocking fillers. Soon they will have their 4th of July catalogue and I will stock up on the things that the kids like but cannot get anywhere else.
We are lucky that the Aldi here is right next door to one of the bigger supermarkets so if I don't get everything off my Aldi list I can literally push the trolley to the next store.
Does your Aldi carry candles? I have a friend in the UK who buys candles at Aldi called No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 - they are replicas of the pricey Jo Malone candles. We can't get them here in the US but I was wondering if your Aldi has them.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
So an Aldi just opened up 5 minutes from my job YAY .. I have only shopped a few times at Aldi. What are some of your favorite items to buy there and what are some items you would stay away from. The only thing my kids are big on name brand stuff is cereal and peanut butter. My grocery budget has increased a lot in the past year partly to the kids get older. Teen/preteen eat more then little kids plus our kids always have friends stopping by so I am looking to curb my grocery budget. I cook dinner almost every day plus I pack lunches for all of use each day for school/work.

Minta, I've found that the following items at Aldi are priced much better than my local grocery store: hamburger rolls, hot dog rolls($.89), bread ($.89), cinnamon bread ($1.79) blocks of cheese ($1.79), milk, half and half, butter, saltines, graham crackers, peanut butter, shredded wheat, frozen orange juice concentrate, waffles, produce, flour tortillas, mango salsa, toritlla strips, kettle chips, pita chips, eggs, coffee, dried fruit, spices, and condiments.

With that said, when they grocery stores run their specials for the various holidays, sometimes the best buy ends up being at the grocery store.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
ISoon they will have their 4th of July catalogue

Katrina, There is a 4th of July catalog at Aldi in Australia? I would have never thought it would be known outside the US (except with expats).