Christmas in July 2018 - Day One

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
It's all about TREES today - how to make a tree look fuller, tree decorating tips, tricks, and techniques, and garland - ribbon, tinsel, beads, and others.

Thoughts?

Fuchsia

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
One thing I find works really well is to string the treelights vertically rather than horizontally - so much easier!

We also always tuck some lights and hang some shiny ornaments in towards the tree trunk - it really gives depth to the tree.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I've used deco mesh with coordinating smaller ribbon to help give fullness and cover more area meaning less individual ornaments needed. I've also used small Christmas floral bunches tucked into larger gaps to fill the space nicely.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Great ideas!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
My "tree" is about 10" tall and has almost no "branches" left but I've had it since I was 3 years old and I take it out every year and decorate it with tiny ornaments.

Reactions: ChristmasPir8

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I also add white floral stems in the larger branch openings of our tree.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
If you have an old or extra artificial tree – the kind where the branches hook into the trunk but are completely removed before packing tree away – those loose branches work wonders to fill in “gaps” in your tree. Do not worry about matching the greenery styles – it actually looks nice to have a variety of greens on the tree and this is what I would say is the “base” layer – it’s going to be a backdrop anyway – not the focal point.

Larger picks and sprays – both those that are all greenery, greenery with pinecones, or even those with sparkly elements – poinsettias, what have you – if it fits your tree décor style and it’s a good size then it I a candidate for filling in those gaps in the branches.

Remember to stand back and let your eyes slightly unfocus as you look at the tree as a whole – from multiple angles – you will probably spot other “holes” to fill in.

Large and oversize Christmas ornament bulbs, strategically hung, also serve to disguise bigger gaps. I start with these after the lights go on and then move on to all the other ornaments from there.

I totally vote for adding lights in vertical sections by the way! It is so much easier to put up and take down, especially on my 12 ft tree!!!

Reactions: luludou and PamelaG

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Oh, my goodness, it's been so busy here that I lost track of time. Seriously, lost of track of time, as in wondering why you were posting Christmas in July - Day 1, 2, and 3. :oops: We're in July!!!

I never considered hanging lights vertically. I learned something new today!

Reactions: Cathymac2

holidayhelpelf

MHH Member
Oct 30, 2007
Love all the tips here. I've used some of them and will use others in the future.

Debbie...What a wonderful, special tree that must be!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I always wrap the branches with lights (so thankfully for our prelit tree) but trying to do it vertically sounds interesting.
I hang bigger ornaments deep in the tree to fill the holes as well as cluster smaller ornaments together

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lol! I have 3 trees. They look full only because they have so much stuff on them! The only one that may look sparse is the live tree we put in the sunroom. Its decorated with old ornaments so it works.

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk
To make our tree look fuller, I use non-glittery dark green tinsel. I wrap it loosely around the centre of the tree. Very simple, very effective. It's the on ly time tinsel is allowed near the christmas tree!

Reactions: PamelaG

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
First thing is basic. Fluffing the tree. It amazes me how people take out an artificial tree and just put it together without going through the branches and unbending them, fluffing, etc.

Then I move on to the lights. Both trees are prelit, but I add lights to the inside. Prelit trees tend to have lights on the exterior and not so much inside. So I fill it up from the bottom to the top. Then I start with all my big ornaments and bulbs and fill in the gaps from there. After the gaps are filled in as much as I can, I start with my ornaments..and boom!!

I love the idea of filling in the gaps with old trees rather than tossing them. Good idea!!