July 4th festivities ...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Greetings all!
Just wondering what everyone is planning for this great holiday.
We will be serving the traditional New England July 4th meal:

*roasted salmon, served with a nice white Bordeaux
*new potatoes
*green peas

***We will have strawberry shortcake for dessert!

This evening, we will go up on the roof-top for a nice view of the fireworks; we will be able to hear the Pops performing on the esplanade; hopefully, a lovely, relaxing rain-free evening.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ah Gidget, how I miss reading your appetizing menus!

In Canada that is not a Holiday for us... so just plain tomato-meat macaroni for us.

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Luludou; I wonder if your tomato-meat-macaroni is anything like the American chop suey that my sons adore: elbow macaroni, tomato sauce, and minced meat & onion - it is a #1 meal around here!

Reactions: luludou

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We're celebrating at our son's house tonight with family and friends. It's a big grilled meal for us. He's a master of the grill! Of course, all will not be eaten in this one meal. Everyone pitches in and leftovers go home with everyone!

Grilled:
Ribs
Chicken
Sausage (made by a local sausage company - so good!)
Turkey Breast
Smoked Boston Butt

Slow oven-cooked brisket

Baked Beans
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Kale Salad
Armadillo Eggs (Cream cheese stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon and grilled)

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Dipped Strawberries

We'll pop fireworks with the kids after we eat.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
We went to my brother and sister in law’s home for a pool party. We had burgers and hotdogs with all the trimmings, chips, veggies, dips, cantaloupe, fresh cherries, homemade ice cream and watermelon! It was great. Then we came home and dropped off the teenage boys who were too cool to attend fireworks with their ancient parents and went to watch the fireworks show our city puts on. All in all- a great day!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Gidget - it's the same! I add some bell peppers too. and sometimes a can of tomato soup to make it creamier with a can of mushrooms.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Luludou; I wonder if your tomato-meat-macaroni is anything like the American chop suey that my sons adore: elbow macaroni, tomato sauce, and minced meat & onion - it is a #1 meal around here!

Funny how the same thing is called different things in other areas. The tomato-meat- macaroni is Hot Dish here in Wisconsin but could be any mixture put in a casserole. My uncle called the t-m-m mix Swedish spaghetti. I hate it so I do not make it.

American Chop Suey for us would be ground beef, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnut, onions and soy sauce on rice.

Reactions: luludou

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We had Steak and Mushroom Kabobs, Linguine Salad, and Baked Beans, along with our Firecracker Cake. It was all delicious.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We spent the day at the big celebration on our Army base. They had small rides and bounce houses for the kid, concerts going on in the afternoon/evening, the Black Daggers parachuted in and then in the later evening they did a 50 state salute to the nation with canons and an overture by the band and then fireworks. It was a great day spent with friends. We BBQed on the field for lunch and then just picked at leftovers for dinner or got food from the vendors on the field. Lunch was hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, potato salad, brownies, and fruit.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
All in all it sound like a wonderful day was had by everyone. I love looking at menus and seeing what I might be able to replicate here. Our National day is Australia Day, January 26th so also great bbq weather.

Reactions: missjane