Things to do now for HGP/HHP 2018...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
As we head into the downhill slide towards the start of HGP/HHP here are some things to ponder:

Planner Prep!

Are you going to use a real live paper based planner? Do you need a new one? Know where last year’s is? Need new paper, inserts, dividers, stickers, whatever? Add those things to the shopping list now.

Do you have the cleaning supplies you need? All stocked up on your favorite cleaners?

If you use dry mops with removeable pads wash them now!

Need Magic Erasers? Swiffer duster refills? Silver polish? That special cleaner you love?

Rubber gloves? Steel wool? Need more paper towels? Rags? Scrub pads?

Lint Roller Refills? (use to “dust” lampshades and any cloth decorative items that collect dust but can’t be easily washed – in my case, felt ruffle wreaths and felt runners)

Washing machine cleaner tablets (i.e. Affresh)?

Now might be the time to give your vacuum cleaner a good clean – use scissors to cut hair/strings from around the beater bar, rinse our the canister or change the bag, etc.

Sometimes there are particular cleaning items that we use for special jobs that we might not keep in stock all the time. Try to think of those now and add them to your shopping lists between now and the start of the HGP.

Try browsing the cleaning pages for each room on the HGP to jog your memory on what you might need/want along these lines...

If there are particular cleaning challenges you know you are up against in a certain room – whether it’s a spot on the floor or glass shower doors or whatever – take time now to research cleaning tips and tricks and add any items to purchase to your shopping list!

I’ve taken to touching up caulking around windows during HGP and touching up paint in each room as needed – so I need to make sure I have all those supplies and I know where my paint cans are for each room.

How do you want to handle meals on heavy cleaning days? If you work outside of the home like me, you'll be trying to get things done on the weekend and during the evenings. Weeknights are crazy enough for me, so I usually hit tasks hard on Saturday and Sunday, finishing up little bits as needed on weeknights. All of our lives are hectic, let’s face it!

Getting meals taken care of on top of the extra work will end up being fast food runs or ordering pizza if you are anything like us! Give some thought to easy meal options you can plan ahead for on your heavy HGP days.

Frozen pizza? Take and bake?

Crockpot meals?

Cold cuts from the deli, cheese slices and bakery bread for sandwiches?

I’ve found the key is to make sure these plans include things we really like! Maybe even convenience foods we don’t have that often – like boxed shells and cheese with pan fried smoked sausage.

And regardless of planning, we’ll all be ordering pizza at least once so just budget for that now, lol!

Couldn't hurt, might help, to brainstorm about this now
!

I try to inventory the freezers every year just before the HGP so I know what I’ve got to work with and what needs to be used up before I start making freezer meals and cookies that have to get put in there instead.

Optional, but fun: Your HGP Soundtrack

Are there songs/artists that you might enjoy listening to while cleaning? Create that playlist or locate those CDs now! Swing music can be fun to clean to - nice uptempo beat to keep you moving with a smile! Find a Pandora station or two that you think would be motivating!

Prepare the family!

You guys probably already do this, but I make sure I remind DS more than once as the HGP approaches. Especially in regards to certain things I will need his help with - taking screens off windows, moving in the tall ladder so I clean the high up places, etc.

I schedule my HGP weeks via Google Calendar and I invite DS to the ones I need his help on with a note. Simple, but it helps us!

Optional Extra:

Clean your car, inside and out, really well before HGP starts!

Put a canister of Clorox wipes or baby wipes or whatever in the car. When sitting at stoplights, waiting in line, etc. wipe down surfaces you can easily reach.

Vacuum it out when you get a chance! The next time you get gas, do a speed grab of all trash while the gas pumps!

You’ll feel organized and on top of things and ready to tackle HGP/HHP with bells on!

What else can you guys think of to get prepared or just get our thoughts in gear for this year? HGP, HHP, LMNOP !!! Everybody!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
AJ, you are the Queen of Lists! Thank you so much, I'm a list maker too but it's always great to see others. There is always something I have forgotten to think about.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
When I know I have a heavy weekend of cleaning I like to make a couple casseroles (1 for breakfast and 1 for dinner) also I will plan meals during the 2nd half that will produce left overs that can used up over the weekend. Precook/season taco meat a head of time and freeze to be used during this time.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I now try to make casseroles for september and october more than Christmas because that is our busy time. During Christmas I am at home so I can cook more. I didn't know about Affresh, have added that to my next amazon or walmart order (same price).

The thing I am thinking of to help me is to try to do more decluttering, will be less long to clean afterwards! If I don't have anything I try the one-thing a room approach and I usually do find some stuff.
Clearing out paperwork/filing before september is good too.

I too am a list maker but AJ you are wowee!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I now try to make casseroles for september and october more than Christmas because that is our busy time. During Christmas I am at home so I can cook more. I didn't know about Affresh, have added that to my next amazon or walmart order (same price).

The thing I am thinking of to help me is to try to do more decluttering, will be less long to clean afterwards! If I don't have anything I try the one-thing a room approach and I usually do find some stuff.
Clearing out paperwork/filing before september is good too.

I too am a list maker but AJ you are wowee!

Decluttering is what I am doing this month .. a 30 day declutter challenge which also allows me to reorganize the space I declutter.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Really good tips!

I have cleared and cleaned a few spots such as my pantry. I need to get in the laundry room to work because I have 4 long shelves in there full of crafting items I never use. They need to be sorted and either discarded, donated or packed for storage in my building. Then i’ll have room for extra paper products and canned items.

I have a new day planner that I’ll use to plan and organize. I buy a June-June planner every year to use. I buy colored pens, post it notes and hi liters. I may be a tad obsessed.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Andthenjust...lol, you can never have to much antibac!

Reactions: Andthenjust

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
AJ, Love your lists and ideas! I never thought about using a lint roller for felt!

Like Cathmac, I also use a June to June planner. It seems to flow better with updating the school calendars at that time of year.

I'm heading out tomorrow to pick up some school supplies. I will be adding cleaning supplies to my list.

I'm one of those people that doesn't feel like cooking after a day of food preparation, baking, etc. So I'll have to keep in mind the days I want to do batch cooking and big cleaning days.

Something that I've done in the past and found helpful was prepare the cookie dry mixes in August/September. We do a lot of baking and breaking it down in steps has made it more enjoyable and doable for me. I've used plastic Ziploc bags for the mixes. If a recipe calls for creaming sugar and butter together, then I put the sugar in a separate bag and label it with the name of the cookie mix. All the other dry ingredients go together in a different bag and get labeled as well. Then I use a large gallon size Ziploc bag to store the the sugar and other dry ingredients. I make sure that large bag is labeled with the name of the cookie mix. Later I will either make the dough and cookies at once or I'll just make the dough and freeze it for another day of baking.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I MUST plan that dinner on my baking days is an easy affair. I, like you get tired after the big days of baking or wrapping gifts and don't feel like making dinner. Something pulled from the freezer will be perfect for those days.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Thanks for the list as there is a couple things I didn’t think of.
I usually start a couple weeks late as work is crazy the last week of August and the first full week of September is back to school and new schedules to adjust to. I also need to do a little adjusting of the rooms as Thanksgiving is in October and the week before that I will be overseas.
Have been slowly getting some gifts taken care off with four more going into gift closet today.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Holiday mom, I pretty much do the same as you for baking. Doing things in steps is much more user friendly these days. Besides making up my mixes ahead of time, I often will mix my dough the night before then bake the next day. Any thing I can either mix, roll into balls or bake ahead, flash freeze then vaccum seal I do. I make my pie crust ahead and freeze in disposable pans also.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Thanks for the list as there is a couple things I didn’t think of.
I usually start a couple weeks late as work is crazy the last week of August and the first full week of September is back to school and new schedules to adjust to. I also need to do a little adjusting of the rooms as Thanksgiving is in October and the week before that I will be overseas.
Have been slowly getting some gifts taken care off with four more going into gift closet today.
Overseas? Business or pleasure? Hope it's a pleasure trip and somewhere exciting!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Pamela. Pleasure and to Amsterdam. First trip overseas and it’s for our 38th wedding anniversary. DH also considers it our honeymoon as we didn’t have one when we got married.
How fun! My husband was there years ago and I have friends who visited recently. It's an interesting city and there are cyclists everywhere.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I keep getting kicked off—can’t figure out why
That's a pain - are you on your home computer? There's a box to check to stay signed in if that helps.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
That's a pain - are you on your home computer? There's a box to check to stay signed in if that helps.
No my tablet and I have checked the box. I turned my tablet off for a bit so will see if that helps. I am thinking that it may have something to do with coming here after clicking on an email notification about a reply