holiday 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have been giving it some thought. We have not had a Christmas party for years. Not sure if I would like to host a NYE party, Still a while yet to think about it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
As of right now, I am still planning on having a dinner party for friends in early December. I make a bunch of appetizers, people potluck more, and we all have way too much to ever eat!

I'm toying with the idea of doing Minute to Win It games this year. Everyone usually just has so much fun talking - catching up - that I'm not sure it would be a good idea. But maybe...

In years past I used to do a Wrapping Party for girlfriends but that just did not seem to work out for most people in recent years - things just get so busy. I "may" attempt it this year but for a much smaller group.

Reactions: housewife2

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
This past New Years we did a big family dinner and decorated gingerbread houses but kind of felt rushed since it was New years Day and lot had to go back to work the next day. Since everyone still had fun it was mentioned doing it again this year but on NYE instead and having contests for the gingerbread houses. I will bring it back up to everyone later on in the fall to see if it's still a go or no. If everyone still wants to do it, we will discuss menu and everyone bring something.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Will be following with interest to see what is discussed here. Always good ideas.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm sure I'll be hosting NY's eve again this year. what I need to do is games! Maybe a party for dh's cousins in November would be nice too

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I would love to have a holiday party but I just don't think it's going to come together this year. We have held a Christmas Open House in the past but with moving to Washington and then Vic leaving again, there's just too short a timeline to put something together. I'm thinking that a holiday afternoon tea mid-December might be fun. Will have to think about that some more.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
im thnking of doing a christmas eve party not sure yet
We went to a great Christmas Eve open house last year - yummy food, lots of great friends, really enjoyable. Bonus was that, since it's Christmas, the decorations were already up!

Reactions: housewife2

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We'll host a party on Christmas Eve for our family. It's one of my favorite nights of the year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am thinking that with DD out of the house this year that it would be nice to host a Christmas Eve Dinner at our house. Not sure yet but something worth thinking about.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I think I have finally settled on the menu for our annual Christmas party - which once again this year will be an appetizer extravaganza - things that people can easily pick up and eat as they stand around talking!

Things I'm making and freezing ahead are:

Bacon Wrapped Pretzel Twists
Jalapeno Puffers - Cream cheese and cheddar layered inside jalapenos - wrapped in puff pastry
Sesame Shrimp Toasts
Puff Pastry Bacon Twists

The remainder of the menu includes:

Stuffed Mushrooms

Meatballs - I'll heat in crockpot in sauce made of half Asian Plum Sauce and half ketchup - then I'll transfer to a shallow serving dish that I'll set on the warming plate. I'll put out toothpicks for people to serve themselves.

Black Olive and Ham Pinwheels - I'll make my tried and true black olive dip but this time I'll spread it on large tortilla wraps, cover in thin sliced Black Forest Ham and then roll up, chill and slice

Artichoke Dip Bites - Mini muffin tins filled with puff pastry dough topped with artichoke dip then baked

Mini Cheeseballs - Roasted Garlic Asiago cheeseball recipe but made into mini cheeseballs instead of one big one, I'll still little pretzel sticks into each one so they are easy to grab

Cucumber Bites - Slices of cucumber filled with cream cheese/ranch dressing mix

Chicken Salad Mini Sliders - Classic chicken salad on little slider buns

Dessert will be Lemon Bars and Brownies

I know it seems like a lot but we'll have a big crowd! I have a plan to do certain things or parts of things ahead of time so that it all pulls together in the end!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ, I want to go to your house for Christmas!
I sometimes do the meatballs too and a big cheeseball. I like the idea of making mini cheeseballs. We also do the chicken salad buns. Ithink the black olive and ham pinwheels might be a good idea to try too.

I freeze my brownies.. one less thing to do last minute.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I think I have finally settled on the menu for our annual Christmas party - which once again this year will be an appetizer extravaganza - hings that people can easily pick up and eat as they stand around talking!

Oh my goodness! Those appetizers sound delicious! I have not ventured into the make your own puff pastry appetizers before. Where do you buy your puff pastry? Is there one brand that you prefer over another?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The only brand available in our stores is the Pepperidge Farm brand. I've used it for years and it works great. You thaw in the box overnight in the fridge - take them out, roll them out and use as needed. You can then either refreeze or put back in fridge overnight and bake the next day - very forgiving!

I've always wanted to make my own puff pastry and have a book about it - just haven't gone there because buying it is so much easier. Although it isn't cheap - around $5 a box :eek:

Reactions: Holiday_Mom