Gift closet 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, a nice thing to do for your friend, it will mean a lot to her.
One of the things that I think MHHers are great at is seeing or hearing what people need and then getting those items for gifts.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
The grocery store had double perks today on everything so I did some major shopping for my son. When I got home I inventoried all of the grocery type items I have for him and packed everything in boxes. I still need to wrap them but atleast it's a start. I have my final shopping list for him to work from and it's not too long! A few things will wait until Black Friday. The majority I'll pick up when I do a aldi's run. I think tomorrow I'll go through the rest of his gifts and atleast get them boxed and ready to wrap.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ordered a sticker for DD's BF of his favourite Ice Hockey team "Brave" and that arrived yesterday. Need to think if a way to wrap it so that it does not get damaged.
Still need to grab a few more things for his "movie" pack. Both he and DD like frozen yogurt so think a gift certificate to the shop at the mall may work.

Bought DD two books when at the mall Friday night, I will put them away for her birthday in January.
Need to wrap my mum's stocking this week, a bit behind schedule.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have gathered all gifts (I hope). The totes are in the storage area now. I have one gift I just remembered still in my closet. Off to get it where it belongs.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Katrina I agree with giving good gifts. I think it's because we think of Christmas as more than just a day. My daughter and I are the best gift givers because we just listen and take note. When people say they like something or need something or I see them take notice of something I write it down or take a mental note at least. Recently I bought a picnic basket for my niece and everyone thought it was odd, but she told me in conversation she'd love one someday. Well it took me a couple years to find one at the thrift store brand new with all the goodies, but I did. When I gave it to her for a graduation gift and she was sooooooo happy. Her mom even said...I don't know why, but she's always wanted one of those. Recently I gave her some old Ella Fitzgerald records I also found at a thrift store. Didn't mean much to anyone else, but again in a conversation years ago she told me she trying to find some at the thrift stores too. Neither of these were fancy, but it's told her I listen and I care. I think that's what it's all about.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great job, Michelle! It's lovely to find things you KNOW are going to be appreciated!

I'm sure it feels good to have everything gathered together now Ahorsesoul! You are rockin' it!

Katrina - Sounds like you found some great items! Way to go on knocking things off your list!

Gotta love double points Myron's Mom! That is the smart way to shop!!!

I visited a local farm chain (similar to Tractor Supply Co) this weekend and went back by myself to pick up several things! They get a lot of toys in for this time of year and I made note of the ones the DS wanted. Also saw things for DH that I went back for too!

- Carhartt Sweathshirt for DH
- Long Sleeve Carhartt Shirt for DH
- Honey Brisket Beef Jerky (2 packs) for DH

For DS:

- Commando Play Set
- Electronic Grenade
- Kayaks & Figure Playset (Fishing Theme)
- Zing Air Z-Tek Bow and Arrows (Suction Cup) Set

Then for his Advent calendar I grabbed a small set of Jacks and a Bird Call he really wanted! :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Forgot to say I got a 3 pack of gardening gloves for DMIL's gardening gift basket and a bag of Brookside Chocolates for my sister's boyfriend while there for my first trip! :D

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, Absolutely agree with everything you said.
Glad that the picnic basket was a hit and it will mean so much to your niece over the years to know that you gave it to her.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
got a sweater and a jacket fro my daughter 2 shirts for my grandson and my son wants the halloween dvd set so ive bought 3 so far will have all them for him by christmas

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Faye, my DD loves the Halloween movies. I must ask her if she has them.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Everyone is doing fantastic.... me I am over here twiddling my thumbs :p waiting for the Christmas Club Check to arrive :D. I do need to go through everything I have and write up a current list of what we have and for who so far. Hoping to be able to do that sometime this weekend.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
When I was out of town I picked up some more political items for my daughter...I'm always on the hunt and I found an old political comedy album and a couple campaign pins. I also bought my son in law a new tie bar from the bureau of engraving. It has the eagle emblem from our printed money.

Reactions: Minta

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Got a great deal on a keurig for my son at kohls stacking coupons. I was going to wait until Black Friday but it was too good to pass up.
Our aldi's had their grand reopening and had mailed out coupons which is rare for around here. I picked up most everything that was left grocery wise on my list for my son.

Reactions: Minta

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
I also try and keep my ears/eyes open for ideas. Added some gift boxes to my gift closet along with a basket for a food gift. We decided to do a gift basket for DH parents. We also brought back some cheese and chocolates from Amsterdam to go in the basket. Have also added some stocking stuffers and doll clothes.
Just need to get sewing so I can get some pj’s in those gift boxes.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got another jar of alfredo sauce for Italian gift baskets. Also picked up a set of 3 mini holiday hand lotions from Kohls that I'll break up and use as stocking stuffers.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just back from the mall, Found some good quality windscreen cleaner for the washer bottle in the car. I think I will tuck that away for DH birthday early in the new year.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Was at Walmart with my daughter last night and she saw a few PJs that she liked .. made a mental list of those and once we got home I found the Christmas club check in the mail box :) Looks another trip to walmart WITHOUT my daughter will be in the plans for this weekend. We will be kid free for part of the weekend in a few weeks, DD is going away to a weekend camp for teen leadership and DS was invited to a sleepover birthday party so DH and I have planned a date night - dinner and Christmas shopping.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Hard to know what to buy for DD BF. We went to the mall and we picked some boardshorts and a tee shirt that DD thinks he will like. He will probably be in DD's pool alot over summer so thought that that would work. Still need to get gift cards for the movies and the yoghurt shop. Am hoping that the movie cinema will give me one of the big popcorn buckets so that I can wrap his gift in that, would look cute.

Last edited:
Reactions: AuntJamelle