Word of the Year 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I thought I would go ahead and start a thread for 2019 since its only 19 more days until January 1 2019! Hope everyone's Christmas prep is under control!

Plus it takes time to pick out a good word to live by. I have to admit that last year I didn't do a great job living my word. We actually started out strong because a group of us had a get-together and created vision boards and most of us used our words in the creation of the vision boards. But as the year moved on it was easy to just ignore the word in the busyness of life.

This year I want to try to do more to keep my word in my thoughts and deeds. Not sure what yet. Do any of you have a way that you keep your word at the front of your mind?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have to get going on a new word. I’ve done fairly well with my last word.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I did fairly well with my word for this year. I have a few words in mind for 2019 but I need to settle on one that works for me.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I haven't even started thinking of my word for next year yet. Yikes! My mom and I order the My Intent bracelets usually and that helps us to remember and live our word for the year. https://www.myintent.org/ They are pretty inexpensive and hold up really well. You can also get a short phrase.

I wonder if we could Skype as a group or Facetime or use Facebook messenger videochat to make vision boards like Ginger was talking about if we could all work out a time to do it together. I know a lot of us are in different time zones so it might not work. Or maybe plan a day to do it and then share pictures of our boards for accountability sometime after the new year when we've chosen our words.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Last year was so-so with my word.
I've been thinking about my word or phrase for the past few weeks. haven't settled yet. For now the one that speaks to me the most is Bienveillance, which means Kindness. Kidness towards myself and towards others.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Jesse I love the website you shared. I may ask family to get something from there for my birthday gift. I have two ideas in mind.
I need to do more for my personal health. so am thinking You got this! or Do it! Will think on this a bit more.

Gingerbug, I love the inspiration board.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jess, love the intent bracelets. As you said, very reasonably priced. I would like some thing like that and I think I would wear it. It would be a good reminder of our word.
Gingerbug. love the mood board. I can imagine having that somewhere in the house as a gentle reminder of all that I am and all that I would like to be. Even a page in our planner would be a good reminder.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Gingerbug brought up a good work in another thread too:
Decluttering… in our lives, in our relationships, all that is not necessary,... hummmm….

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I read this thread last night and gave it some thought. What came to mind was the phrase "Peace be the journey" (from the movie Cool Runnings) with a strong emphasis on "Serenity." Pinterest has a lot of ideas for Serenity - I'll be giving it some more thought in the next couple weeks.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Acceptance is going to be my word.
  • Acceptance that not everything has to be perfect.
  • Acceptance that I am allowed to have off days to and still be a good mom, wife, person
  • Acceptance that there will always be drama but I don't have to let that drama affect me and my family.
  • Acceptance that many times things will not get done when I want them too or how I want them too.
  • Acceptance of the fact that my oldest is graduating HS this year even though I am not ready for that :eek:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
For now the one that speaks to me the most is Bienveillance, which means Kindness. Kidness towards myself and towards others.

Kindness towards myself is a tough one sometimes, isn't it?

Acceptance is going to be my word.
  • Acceptance of the fact that my oldest is graduating HS this year even though I am not ready for that :eek:

I went through that experience two years ago for the first time. I was a bag of mixed emotions and I had to learn to sit with all of those feelings and accept them.

I've been keeping up with my word overall. There are a few areas that I would like to do better in 2019. I've got to give more time and thought to my new word.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just took a quiz on Dayspring.com to help find my word for 2019. It suggested Courage. I think I will go with it. I need to give it some thought.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
For 2019 I have chosen the word "AWARE". I need to be more aware of my health, my family, my work, my budget and my surroundings. I do pretty well in all of these areas but can always improve.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I took a quiz yesterday and am contemplating these words: thrive, intentional, nourish, purposeful. Will make a decision soon.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I liked my word last year, Refresh. The LCs kept saying all year tha t they could see I was doing well with refreshing my life by putting the back in my life.

I’m thinking of doing another me type word in 2019.
Something about appearance. I’ve become rather dull in this department. When Dh and I first met I didn’t own a pair of jeans or a T-shirt. Now that’s about all I wear. So I think I’ll spice up my wardrobe. And maybe some make up if I can fin something I like that is gluten free.

I am also trying to grow out my hair. No more perms. Do not want the chemicals. I have totally straight hair with very little body so once it grows a little more I’ll get a trim and further along in the year decide what style I’d like. Will be something fairly long. I think I’ll have the ladies at the salon all give me their ideas.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
"My word for 2019 is mindful

Found this while looking for my word and it really fits for me right now.

" Mindfulness. It’s a pretty straightforward word. It suggests that the mind is fully attending to what’s happening, to what you’re doing, to the space you’re moving through. That might seem trivial, except for the annoying fact that we so often veer from the matter at hand. Our mind takes flight, we lose touch with our body, and pretty soon we’re engrossed in obsessive thoughts about something that just happened or fretting about the future. And that makes us anxious.

For example...
mindful eating as in not just stuffing things in my mouth (lol)
mindful of the present, living in the here and now
mindful of emotional states and what is driving them
mindful of others needs (really listening)
mindful of time on social media and the internet (I feel I distract myself and procrastinate with this [plus it makes me anxious) so for 2019 I want to cut down HUGELY on time spent online especially via phone)
mindful as in meditation and yoga (I want to get back into this and be able to clear my mind)

There are lots of other examples. I think it will apply to many areas of my life. AND will reduce stress/

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ginger, great word. I feel that Aware and Mindful are very similar words. I can relate to most of the things that you have written.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My word is Strengthen. Last year was a year of rebuilding my life and myself. It was slow and steady. I saw great progress as a result. This year, I want to strengthen the foundation of what was being rebuilt. I am going to incorporate this into my 2019 goals.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
My Word for 2019 is Purposeful (having or showing determination or resolve; having a useful purpose; intentional). I haven't yet sat down and written it all out as far as what all I want this word to entail for me but I know and feel it. Some of what I know:

• I want to be more purposeful in the way I live and do things this year. We live on this beautiful island and I haven't done a lot of things that I have wanted to do and we've been here for a year and a half already, our time is half over possibly if we don't extend.
  • I want to be more purposeful in my relationships with DH and the kids, friends and family. I feel like I live on autopilot and don't really put much effort into anything these days. Like i'm just surviving.
  • I want to be more purposeful with myself. I can't do any of the other things I want to do and be purposeful in if I don't start here. I tend to put myself by the wayside in order to take care of everything else and then when it comes time to self-care, i'm too tired and don't take the time. No more! I have to make time and be purposeful in my life and with my time.
I will further explore my Word and write it all down and refer back to it often. I think i'll put little phrases in my planner to remind me.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye