Crafters Challenge January 13th---19th, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've started a candycane crochet scarf. White/red striped scarf. I need to use up the yarn I have and I had all that sparkly red yarn someone had given me.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My goal is to finish DD5's socks.

I had an idea to make up some mittens and hats in some of my plain worsted yarn and take them to the elementary school for any kids who maybe show up without them on a cold day or end up losing a mitten at recess or something.
I remember as a kid going to school with light mittens on and getting frost nip and having to be sent home. I wonder if a school would like that idea, or if it would just be another thing for them to have to deal with.

We live in an area with some extreme poverty....I'll put some on the mitten tree at Christmas etc., but there are some people who won't accept stuff like that. Maybe if a kid came home with some from school where they were readily available for kids who lost theirs, it would be okay. Just a thought.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
FS, I too think that it is a wonderful idea. I am sure that the school would appreciate it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am hoping to get a bit more done today. I have done nothing all week and am just itching to sit down and do some more craft work. If I am going to get through my list I need to knuckle down a bit more this year.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I love having a fairly busy week, but the rest of this week, I may not be able to get much crafting done. I have a girlfriend trip scheduled for the weekend, so that will be lots of fun. I may take some knitting along, but I'll be driving, so no knitting while riding in the car.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks Lana!

I did some knitting on the afghan for Valentin on the way to the slopes yesterday. When we got home I finished the machine embroidery stitching on one advent mitten and started the second one in that hoop (#17 & 18). Then I gathered up things to bring today for Kathy, started a knit scarf that Kathy wants some help getting started with (we are doing the same pattern), and finished the third Valentine CCS. I want to do three more motifs for cards for granddaughters.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DD as girls trip sounds great.
I finished DBrothers Santa sack last night. I could not get the stitching right and pulled it out twice before I was happy. Just need to do mine now and all of those will be finished. Then to move onto other things. I am going to sit down this weekend and try and plan any materials I need for upcoming crafts and what order I need to do things in.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Finished Advent Mitten numbers 17 and 18 and got 19 and 20 loaded onto my joy stick for the embroidery machine. Those will have to wait till after the weekend.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Dahlia , yes the ornament jackets are machine stitched. How are your snowflakes stitching out? I had some issues with some of the ones I made last year. Thread and needle breakage.
Could you post a picture of the advent mittens?

Christmas is a put away. But now I'm in a purging frame of mind so I'm cleaning out the closet I store Christmas in so no crafting yet. I did buy a skein of yarn a set of crochet hooks and a book for something to play with in the evening when watching tv with my husband. I'm surprised how much I remembered. I'm having fun with it. Just need lots and lots of practice before I tackle a project.

Reactions: luludou

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Myron's Mom ~ I do lots of lap crafting in the evenings in front of the TV. Usually CCS or knitting, but occasionally parts of other crafts that can be done sitting down, like removing stabilizer, cutting shapes, etc.

Here's a picture of the last two mittens I stitched out. I can do two in one hooping. I used a digitizing program to merge the basic mitten with the numbers and designs. The designs needed to be reduced in size to fit on the mitten part.

Reactions: luludou and Rose94

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
DD- A girl's weekend sounds amazing! The mittens are super cute!
FS- That sounds like a great idea about the mittens.
Lucie- I can just picture a candy cane scarf with sparkly red yarn.

I tied on the last skein of yarn for my blanket and haven't really touched it since except to move the blanket off the table. I had to fold it one evening to make room for dinner and ended up losing some loops, luckily I got them back, so this time I put two yard sticks through the loops and used clips on the ends so they wouldn't slide off and then DD helped me move it to the big chair in the front room until I have time to work on it again. With DH on leave this week I just haven't had time. Looking like it will be next week before I will have time to finish it.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I got ready to cut fleece yesterday for the baby blanket so dgd could sew it and remembered it wasn't pre-shrunk. Took care of that, and I will cut this afternoon so she can sew tonight or tomorrow. I am still crocheting baby blanket, getting ready to attach skein #3.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DD, those mittens are amazing, absolutely gorgeous.
Was ironing the Santa sacks yesterday and did not like some stitching on DD BF so pulled that apart and redid it. Much happier now. I think it is because I have not been sewing in a good light and did not realise until the day time. Will need to be more aware as I don't like redoing things. Am half way through my sack and then I am done.
Also started a materials list for upcoming craft products, do not need much at this stage. One of the goals this year is to use stuff up.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Dgd sewed the fleece baby blanket last night. I figured out how to attach the quilting foot to my sewing machine and did some practice quilting. DD told me it looked like a drunken sew-er did it (in all fairness to me, I have never done machine quilting), so she taught me to use her embroidery machine, and I embroidered heart motifs here & there to hold the blanket layers together. I think I need to learn to machine quilt - it's more difficult than I thought it would be.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
GrammaDeb, drunken sew-er? Made me laugh. I would have replied, haven't you ever heard of freestyle quilting? Have a great weekend.

I am on hold for crafting. DH is painting the room I have my craft and sewing stuff cleaned up and ready to go back in the room when done. I want to make it a nice niche for sewing and crafting. It feels so fresh with the new paint. Sitll have to pull the nasty carpet and put down a room size rug for now.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Lovely mittens.
Have sewn one Christmas fabric bag. will do more so I can use up some of the christmas fabric I have. working on the candycane scarf. Need to rework on the kintted socks that I put aside too.