February 2019 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary, you remind me that I have papers to shred too. Will finish corralling them all and will shred. Adding it to the weekly to do list is a great idea. Once shredded I add mine to the compost bin.

That's a good idea to put the papers in a compost bin. I usually just put in gross garbage in with the shredded paper so no one wants to go through it. ;)

I spent about an hour in the basement sorting through bags and boxes. I put a few nicer gift bags and some more books in the donation bin. Three more shopping bags of junk went into the trash. (The trash guys came earlier in the morning and by this afternoon, I just filled up one of the empty trash cans.)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
That's a good idea to put the papers in a compost bin. I usually just put in gross garbage in with the shredded paper so no one wants to go through it. ;)

Mary, that will work too LOL.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Saturday, took an armload of ds's hockey sweaters to his house as well as a bag of dvds… still more to go ;) He came by on Sunday but he doesn't bring stuff with him.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, DD still has quite a bit here and now I think she wants to bring back some things that don't fit in her flat. UGH, the endless cycle of stuff.

Reactions: luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I am starting on the boxes and bags that are on a ping pong table in the basement. The other owners left their ping pong table so we've been using that for things that are stored in paper boxes and plastic bags. We discovered the hard way that plastic bags don't keep out water when the basement floods. :mad:

I put a few more items into the donation box and shredded some more papers.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I just tidied out my bedside table and I have a few things in there that I dearly want to keep but not sure how to store them. I have beautiful birthday and Mother's Day cards from family and friends over the years. I have not kept them all, just ones that are special. I have the sympathy cards from when my dad passed in June 1999 ( 20 years this year) and the last birthday card sign "love mum and dad" things like that. My question is do any of you keep special cards and how do you store them?.TIA

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You could frame the cards along with a photo of the sender or make a small book with them.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My question is do any of you keep special cards and how do you store them?.TIA

I just went through a bag of cards in January. I saved the ones with notes in in from loved ones. There is something about the handwriting and reading their words now that they are gone that is comforting to me. I even saved some of the envelopes that went with the card. I have just kept them in a box in my bedroom. The air temperature stays pretty steady and their isn't any humidity.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I found more books in the office/ home library to pass on. I also sorted through a few boxes and bags in the basement. Most items were restored to the rightful home. Some were tossed and the rest were placed in the donation box.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I found more books in the office/ home library to pass on. I also sorted through a few boxes and bags in the basement. Most items were restored to the rightful home. Some were tossed and the rest were placed in the donation box.
You are doing great! Sounds like you are almost done with the basement, Yes?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, perhaps all I need to do with the cards is find a pretty box to store them in. When thinking about them yesterday I really would like to keep them so I need to store them properly. Will look for a nice box and some tissue to store those keepsakes in.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Diedra, I like the idea. I actually don't have a photo of my dad in this house, not sure why. I could frame a card and photo of him and place it somewhere. This is a nice thought.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Buzzing along here. I am deep cleaning my linen cupboard. I have moved some stuff to where I think it works better. I had my preserves jars in here but have moved them to a cupboard in the garage. I think I will even have a spare shelf in here now.!!! Will donate some stuff to a charity and will take some things to my mums.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
You are doing great! Sounds like you are almost done with the basement, Yes?
Well... I'm getting there... I haven't had a chance to get in there the last two days. However, my dh noticed a difference in the basement last night. He went down there and returned saying he could see most of the ping pong table and he saw the long lost ping pong paddles. Dh was very appreciative of the work. :D I would really like to be finish with the basement by the end of the month.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just went to the discount shop and found a box that is perfect for my cards. It says "filled with love". It is a pretty box and I will enjoy looking at it and knowing what it contains.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I helped friends move today. Helping them move things from one house to the other house confirmed that I am on the right course of action with decluttering now. It renewed my resolve to keep on with the basement. I also got a flyer from school saying that they are having a used clothing drive on Wednesday and that they are accepting donations of bicycles. We have one in our garage that we no longer use so I will plan on dropping that off this week.:)

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Getting ready to move as soon as the house is ready to move into. Just waiting for my brother to finish cleaning it out. So have been going thru everything and gettting rid of lots. Today I need to finish going thru clothing

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have off tomorrow from work so I plan on spending the day decluttering and purging and one of the things I will be purging is my huge collection of holiday magazines :eek:. I have not looked at most of these in the past few years and I could use the space they are using for other things. I also need to go through my sock drawer cause I am not sure how but they seemed to have multiplied. I have way more socks then I wear and I am sure a few pair are well past their prime.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
jampss- The room looks great, what a transformation!

Everyone is doing so wonderful on their projects! I have 5 small bags to go to the Thrift Store, today hopefully. I have a few dresses I need to list still on a sale site here and will try to do that today. It's a 24 hour auction type site and you bid in $1 increments. I don't really care what I get for them, but they are nicer dresses so I felt like I should try to sell them and get a little fun money out of them. I donate a lot of clothing so I didn't feel too bad making this decision.