RAK - Random act of kindness

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Last year I was thinking of doing bags for the Homeless, but it just didn't happen for whatever Reason. i do know our Katrina did though :)

So this Morning I was looking at what to do with all the yarn I have …. why not scarves for the Homeless? There are so many around where I work and with the winters we have, it is cold!!

I was looking up some ideas and came upon this article https://globalnews.ca/news/4786599/toronto-homeless-scarfs/

I will start making scarves and I hope to have quite a few done for next year.

Reactions: Myron's Mom

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Lucie, thank you for sharing the articles. The You Matter article really got me to thinking. I shared it with a teacher I worked with and my ex boss. There is so much that you can do with those 2 simple words.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Wow! That article...what a movement. I may have to request some cards. I wonder how long ago this was going on and if it is still happening. Is it this November that they are trying to hit 1 million? We have SO many homeless here on the island and I have a few friends that could definitely use this message, I could always make a card as well. Love this message.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, you are always so thoughtful. Your inspiration last year lead me to collecting items and donating care packages for those having a tough time. They were easy to prepare and the organisation we gave them to were very grateful.
I have started gathering items again for this year and am hoping to continue for many years. Thank you.

I am now reading some of the things that you have posted and am wondering what else we can d to help ease the load for others that need a hand.
I am not sure if there are a lot of homeless in our city, I live in the suburbs and rarely venture into the town centre, but will look into it and see what help they may need for this upcoming Winter.

Reactions: luludou

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have been learning about college students that are homeless. They have the money for tuition but not housing. Many are living in their cars and there are some organizations that provide shelter for them. Maybe an inquiry with a local colleges would help.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I just read the "You Matter" article. Wow! It reminded me of a movie called The Letter Writer.

From imdb.com - "A fiercely rebellious teen embarks on a mission to track down her secret admirer after receiving an inspirational letter from someone who seems to know her even better than she knows herself. Maggie Fuller has never felt as if she lived up to her parents' expectations, so when she receives a flattering letter in the mail, she's determined to uncover the identity of the sender. Upon meeting the stranger who had such kind words to say about her, Maggie realizes just how many mysteries life truly holds."

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I read somewhere that one of the things homeless people need the most, and I also heard on a news feature just last week that this is also one of the biggest needs in homeless shelters is socks. They walk so much that socks wear out quickly.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, thanks for that information. Back to school sales a few weeks back were advertising back packs for as little as $4 each. I will see if I can get some.
missjane, socks are something that we put into the packs last year, maybe we need to add two pair this year.
We picked up combs last week and they will go in and I recently spoke to a friend who is a dentist and she will donate sample tubes of toothpaste.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
As far as a specific Christmas service project, this past year my daughter and I adopted a family and did a gift drive for them. A single mom who was left in a really bad situation after her husband walked way from 5 kids. Each year seems to take us in a new direction when it comes to a holiday service project, so as much as I'd like to plan something out I think I'll let us be directed spiritually and see what happens.

As far as the rest of the year I really try and make service a part of my everyday life.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This is reminding me to look our for clearance sales on winter items. We still have a few weeks left of winter weather here. I can buy a lot more things at this time on clearance than I can in November or December when the items are just being put out.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I am looking at Summer items on clearance too. Lip balm, sunblock, shampoos in "Summer" scents. I will stock up on these not only to donate closer to Christmas but also if there is anything I may use in Christmas stockings.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I know this is a small thing, but one of my RAKs I try to do is when I am grocery shopping. I leave coupons I won't use in place with the item they are for on the shelves so someone else can take advantage of the savings. I know how appreciate I've been in in the past when someone else has left one that I could use :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, what a great idea!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm going to start doing that with the coupons the store mails us directly. Some are free items and others are products we don't use all the time, so I may do that...I have to remember to take them though. I was the recipient of one 2 weeks ago when I bought soda and it made me smile!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have nearly finished gathering the items for the charity packs that mum and I will donate at Christmas time.
I have been thinking of what else I may be able to do and I have decided that along with the packs I can donate food items. There are many grocery shops between now and Christmas so I think that every time I shop I will pick up some tinned soup, jars of spaghetti sauce, tins of corn or fruit. Hopefully by the time Christmas gets here I will have quite the haul to donate.