Word of the Year 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
I haven't done this in a long time. I'm choosing the word Purge.

I need to purge my house of things not needed. I need to purge my heart of the pain of the last 3 years, losing people close to me and a job of 13 years. I need to purge my life of things that no longer suite me. I saw this on Pinterest, "You can't begin the next chapter if you're still re-reading the last one."

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Horsemama, A great word. I hope that you have a great year and that the pain in your heart begins to heal. ((hugs))

Reactions: missjane

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Nearly the first month of the year gone.
Checking in on how we are doing.

My word aware is a good one for me. I am being more aware of things (so far) and my mindset is a little different so far. I have just started a massive clean up of my bedroom and that has made me feel so much better. Still a ways to go but as with all things a work in progress.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have been trying to be more purposeful. I still need to sit down and write out exactly everything that I want my Word to encompass for me. My bracelet came in the mail that my mom ordered for me. It actually was a BOGO, so we both got a free bracelet along with our ordered bracelet. It feels weird to gift it to someone because my Word is MY Word, not someone else's.

Attachments

• 20190125_132126[15139](1).jpg
    20190125_132126[15139](1).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Katrina, you're off to a good start!
Mrs. Soup, I like that bracelet. :)

My word is Strengthen. Last year was a year to rebuild after being broken. For me, Strengthen means to find ways to keep all that was rebuilt last year from breaking and falling apart. Rest is key. Rest isn't just sleep but rest for the soul too. Walks have played a part for the physical and spiritual rebuilding so I'm trying to keep that up even when it's below freezing outside. I've been bundling up and getting outside as often as I can this month.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I pick: Tidy

Tidying up my home and relationships :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jampss, hoping that you have a great year and that you achieve all that you want.

Reactions: jampss

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I find that I get so angry so quickly - my mantra has become "peace be the journey" followed by a cleansing, closed-eyed deep breath. Somehow it calms me, and I am able to continue with my day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I find that I get so angry so quickly - my mantra has become "peace be the journey" followed by a cleansing, closed-eyed deep breath. Somehow it calms me, and I am able to continue with my day.
Deb, what a wonderful word and goal. I am getting less and less patient as I get older. I think I could also benefit by adopting your word.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I know we're almost a quarter of the way through the year - I've been living my word but am finally getting around to declaring it - PLAN. I know it sounds weird but planning is going to consume my year so I may as well have it right out there. Planning for buying a house is checked off but now planning what to do with said house is next. Lots of things I'd like to do, slightly less will be feasible financially so I'll be planning the best way to meet those two in the middle. Planning for Vic's move from Virginia to here with all of our household goods, and then planning his move to Okinawa. Planning for holidays in the new house, planning to make time to do all the things I want - read, craft, blog, organize - I think I need to budget blocks of time and that's definitely going to be a plan. Planning to be healthier, planning our finances since we are within the five-year countdown to Vic leaving the Navy. I have to say that I LOVE to plan so this is going to be a fun word, not a chore at all.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pamela, great word. I love to plan, often (more times than not) I enjoy the planning more than the event. Love your word.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Here we are in MAY!!! How did that happen?
I am doing OK with my word, of course some days are better than others, and there are a few areas where I can step up a little.
The middle of the year is when I loose momentum as things become more routine here. Towards the end of the year the enthusiasm returns and I suddenly rue the lost time from the middle of the year.
would like to go back and read posts from earlier in the year and try and regain some spark.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I am doing ok with my word. I hit a 3 week slump from the week leading into Easter until last week. Instead of feeling strengthened, I felt depleted and just took a long rest from everything, even the things good for me.

I started back this week with a resolve to keep on doing things little by little because over time, that's what counts.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I started back this week with a resolve to keep on doing things little by little because over time, that's what counts.
I suppose that this is a good lesson to learn. Just because we hit a snag does not mean that all is lost. Pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and keep going.
We still have a whole lot of year ahead of us.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I love to plan, often (more times than not) I enjoy the planning more than the event. Love your word.
Katrina, that is so me, too. I think what I really am is an event planner. lol

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
The middle of the year is when I loose momentum as things become more routine here. Towards the end of the year the enthusiasm returns and I suddenly rue the lost time from the middle of the year.
would like to go back and read posts from earlier in the year and try and regain some spark.

Katrina, thanks for the reminder to go back and be reminded of what we're aiming for. I'm especially having to work on accepting where I am right now. It's very different now that DD22 is back in the house with is. Not bad, just different after she's been gone for almost 4 years.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
missjane, it is so easy for a change in routine to throw us right off track. I am a person that thrives on routine, I think it is because my dad was in the Army and that is how we grew up and also my personality is that way inclined.
When DD left it took me a while to get use to the new dynamic of our home. We are quite used to it now and would certainly feel it if DD came home.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just sitting here reflecting on the year so far and if I have been living up to my word.
It is a bit hit and miss at the moment but for the most part I feel more aware so far this year. Still a lot of the year left to make the changes that I wanted to make.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am making progress in some area which is pleasing me. I have 6 months to make the biggest change happen and Lord willing it will. I just need to "do it"!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have been taken out more time for myself to strengthen my mind, body and soul. It's been very good. Just being aware of knowing when I start feeling depleted and not pushing myself to do more for others but rather more for me, is actually invigorating.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul