Crafters Challenge June 9th-15th, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I made two tissue boxes yesterday and have one more in progress. One is for a gift, one for a guest bedroom (made with fabrics from the quilt), and one for the lake.

I only have about 9 more rows to knit on the wedding afghan. It's pretty warm to be knitting, but the afghan can sluff off to my side.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I have been working on a baby blanket for a friend who is expecting a "surprise". I had a big ball of pink yarn I never used for my own girls taking up a lot of space. When I was searching for the right crochet hook, I found all the pieces of a pink baby sweater I'd been making for DD2 before she was born and forgot to put together. Guess I'll sew that up for the baby as well.
Hopefully it's a girl! lol. I imagine I'll have to make something in blue or a neutral colour as well just in case.

I need to get back to my sweater once that is done or I'll never finish it - always what happens when I step away from a project in progress.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Would she be interested in decorating and hand writing some recipe cards with her favourite recipes on them. I am sad that I only have a few samples of my Grandmothers hand writing.

I love this idea. I have a few recipes written by my grandmother that I treasure, despite her lack of specificity. (ie. "Use a bit of this, a good amount of that, a can of a product that hasn't existed since the forties :) )

Also, when my other grandmother passed she left me with a photo album. In it was a letter in my great grandmother's handwriting - a woman who died before I was born. It looked so much like my own writing you couldn't tell the two apart.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Frosty what a treasure that album is.
I think the doll clothes from grandmas clothes and hand written recipe cards are a wonderful gift. My cousins and I were talking about those types of gifts last night! I have a Solo cookbook that was grandmas. My husband made a copy of it for me (the original is in the fire box), her hand written recipes are not totally in English but I still love it to death.
I think my sewing room is finally finished. Husband painted the dry wall) and I have everything atleast somewhat organized and sorted. I found some crochet hooks that were moms that I didn’t know I had- I just bought some not too long ago:confused:. Now that everything is rearranged I’ll have to remember where I put stuff.
I finished the outdoor pillow and cushion covers yesterday. They turned out nice. Now if it would stop raining so we can use them. I don’t leave them out, the pesky neighbors cats will have a field day with them I’m sure.
Tomorrow I’ll start sewing the nutcracker quilt. Everything is cut and laid out and ready to go. I can’t believe it’s mid June and I’m nowhere near finished with it. Hopeful it will go together fast.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

FS ~ What an amazing discovery with the similarity in handwriting!

Speaking of preserving handwritten recipes, quite a few years ago I took a couple of DH's DMom's recipe cards and scanned them. Then I printed them onto fabric and made potholders with them for DBroIL and DSisIL.

I finished one more tissue box cover yesterday. That's probably the last one for a while; but I did do some brainstorming around making one for a friend with some scraps of tulip fabric I have left (her favorite flower).

At Creative U, they were promoting a drive for Quilts of Valor, requesting donation of quilt blocks. They provided the pattern, so I picked one up. I had to search through my fabrics for blues and reds. Didn't think I had much in red, then found, sitting right on my cutting table, several yards of two different red fabrics. I don't even remember why I have it. I have pieces cut out to make about 5 blocks, and finished one block last night. Too late last night, actually, as I had to frog it a couple different times to get the pieces set right to form the star (learning experience).

Then I did some knitting on the wedding afghan and have it done and ready to wash and block.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Had a bit of a sewing day yesterday. Made a curtain for the back door at the farm and hemmed the curtains for the bathroom. Mended a work shirt of mine and a tablecloth and I made DD 12 small make up remover pads and 6 larger ones. I will make some make up remover solution and put them together as a gift. A productive day.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Yes, you got a lot done, Katrina!

Since last report, I did get the wedding afghan washed and blocked and have a nice gift box ready for it. I also made 6 quilt blocks to donate to Quilts of Valor and have the Garden Spiral table topper sewn and ready for sandwiching and quilting (need to decide what fabric to use for backing). And I got the binding sewn onto the vinyl table cloth.