Christmas in July 2019 - Day Sixteen

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Hygge cards. Makes me think of the lost art of letter writing, sending a heartfelt letter to someone to let them know how much they mean to you. That would really give me a sense of comfort, togetherness, and well-being to receive something so special, especially if it's a handmade card.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Every year I swear I am going to hand make at least some cards! I make other occasion cards all the time - but I have such a large stock of Christmas cards bought at the clearance sales that I just never jump into that project when I have so much else going on.

I do however pick my cards designs with care and take the time to write a message in each one. For some it's very simple, for many it's more of a mini letter.

Maybe I will make at least 1 or 2 hand made Christmas cards this year - for the people I know will appreciate the difference - I have SOOOO many ideas for them pinned!!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I went on Pinterest to see if there were hygee style Christmas cards and discovered these:
https://www.pinterest.com/rjsbla/cij-2019/more_ideas/?ideas_referrer=2
I really like the simplicity of the cards, wreaths, snowflakes, branches and birds etc. I tend to me more nature oriented than the "colorful characters" of some of the cards but that is personal taste.

am curious as to the number of cards you send out? I know many people have stop sending cards altogether due to postage costs. I have slack off in sending them out and what I receive a few and really enjoy receiving them. I hope to start sending them again and if I plan carefully I can start putting $ away for my stamps now because I really like using Christmas stamps. I will most likely send about 30 cards + the MHH swap.

So I am curious as to the number of cards you send out?

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I sent 97 last year (I keep all the cards people send us so we received 43 last year) + 18 for the MHH swap. Anyone on Facebook who did not send a card back was moved to the "Facebook greeting only" category - I'll just post our card and greeting there. This will be my last year to send cards to people who don't seem to be sending any longer although I say that every year and still keep sending cards! We will be doing away with the family newsletter and switching to a photo card this year...I think.

I hope we're having an MHH card exchange this year?

** In case you're wondering how I know exactly how many I sent, I print labels from my computer so I just counted the labels. It makes it easy to change addresses (our military friends move all.the.time) and add children or remove family members we lost during the year. I use a script font and print them on clear labels so they look pretty on the colored envelopes.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I usually do handmade cards for the MHH exchange. Family and friends love the photo cards, so we send those to them. I would like to add a handwritten message to each. Maybe that will be a goal this year!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I send around 20. Every year I too want to make them but I have tons bought on sale, so….

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I send around 20. I Always wnat to make handmade but I have so many from the sales...

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I think my card count is between 60 and 65 people now. It was 70 for the longest time. About 10 of the cards went to older family friends from my old neighborhood. Another 10 went to high school and post college friends. The rest went to our siblings, cousins, parents, aunts and uncles. A few people have died in the last few years.

I put in a hand written note with a brief update on us if we haven't seen the recipient in the last year. I start the cards in October and finish up by mid December. My goal is to write out 5 to 10 cards a week.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I send about 20 domestic cards and of course the MHH swap.
I too have many cards that I have bought after Christmas. It is hard to pass up cards that were around $10 a pack before Christmas and you can pick them up after Christmas for 50 cents a pack. I have enough to last me many years.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We will absolutely be having the card exchange this year!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
We will absolutely be having the card exchange this year!
Just flipped over to the swap/exchange thread to see what we did last year - Shannon put the details up in September....that's just the month after next! Can't wait.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just flipped over to the swap/exchange thread to see what we did last year - Shannon put the details up in September....that's just the month after next! Can't wait.
Oh, something to look forward to. Things really start to get busy around September.....the BER months are when I really hit my Christmas prep.