Crafters Challenge July 21st-July 27th, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
WELCOME! WELCOME!

Well this week I did get some scrubbies done. I am making them thicker so make two and put them together. They are just a tiny bit bigger but better to hold to, I think. Got 4 done. Will continue making them as I give to all for Christmas and extras I have in a basket for taking.

I got some fleece to try a scarf but think I didn't get enough will look pattern up today.

What do you all have planned to do this week?

Would like to take my machine in and get it cleaned but it like about 50 minutes away and then would have to go back in a couple of weeks for it. As been quite awhile since it has been done.

Have a GREAT crafting week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :)

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Just getting all of my ideas, projects organized. Hope to start crocheting this afternoon after church. I am making children’s sweaters for the farmers market that I will be running starting in August. Good times!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

This week's crafting includes a day at Open Sew and a basket weaving class.

For Open Sew I will take materials for a couple of tissue box covers (unless I get them done before that) and/or fabrics for a couple of fleece throws.

Otherwise, I will be working on a knit prayer shawl and a couple of CCS projects.

I did update my craft posts on my blog.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Greetings!

This week's crafting includes a day at Open Sew and a basket weaving class.

For Open Sew I will take materials for a couple of tissue box covers (unless I get them done before that) and/or fabrics for a couple of fleece throws.

Otherwise, I will be working on a knit prayer shawl and a couple of CCS projects.

I did update my craft posts on my blog.
Those jeans jackets are so cute! I sent you a message in Conversations about one of the recipes you posted in the Cinco de Mayo thread.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I will be crocheting all week. I'm officially halfway through the lace for one pillowcase. Dd is trying to guilt-trip me into working on the afghan for her son - she is halfway though the afghan for her dil. Aack! What to do, what to do.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is pic of ornament I recently finished:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48346213401/in/dateposted-public/

This weekend I got pieces cut for an apple felt ornament for part of this year's teacher gift. Found a scroll work design that I cut out in dark red felt and cut a piece of green print Christmas fabric to go behind it and show through.

Also made a double batch of Cinnamon Scented Salt Dough ornaments with DS - baked, painted then used Mod Podge and fine glitter to decorate. They turned out super cute! We'll keep a few and the rest will be gifts for various family members.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48346243401/in/dateposted-public/

Printed patterns for a stormtrooper felt ornament and found a coloring book page I'll use as a pattern for a Magic School Bus themed felt ornament for DS. Still need to cut the patterns out then start on cutting the felt...

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Here is pic of ornament I recently finished:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48346213401/in/dateposted-public/

This weekend I got pieces cut for an apple felt ornament for part of this year's teacher gift. Found a scroll work design that I cut out in dark red felt and cut a piece of green print Christmas fabric to go behind it and show through.

Also made a double batch of Cinnamon Scented Salt Dough ornaments with DS - baked, painted then used Mod Podge and fine glitter to decorate. They turned out super cute! We'll keep a few and the rest will be gifts for various family members.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48346243401/in/dateposted-public/

Printed patterns for a stormtrooper felt ornament and found a coloring book page I'll use as a pattern for a Magic School Bus themed felt ornament for DS. Still need to cut the patterns out then start on cutting the felt...
What a great idea to use a coloring book page for a pattern!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I didn't do much crafting week....it's just been so hot. I've been lazily working on a shawl in fingering done on big chunky needles just because the yarn is coloured like a tropical sea and that's appealing in this heat. I need to get my act together and focus on getting a gift knit for each of the girls for Christmas. I also remembered I still haven't made DD2 a stocking. Her name is too long to fit properly as the others have their names knit into them.....her name would wrap around, so I need to figure out what to do about that.

I love those! I think you've given me a great idea. When I was growing up we had a set of Christmas cookie cutters and there were a few standbys I did the exact same way each year. They gave out a few years ago, but a relative recently bought me replicas of those old cutters so I could make cookies again. I wonder if I could make ornaments like these with the cutters and make all of my siblings a set of ornaments to look exactly like the cookies we had for Christmas as kids. I'd have to find some kind of paint that would maintain a texture though......l

Reactions: luludou

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
FrostyShimmer - That sounds like the start of a great idea!!! :) What kind of texture are you shooting for?

Something that would resemble icing...I used to make fluffy beards on the Santa cookies, and round balls of icing on for holly berries. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ love the holly ornament.

I must finish the pink felt hearts this week, they have been waiting to be finished for weeks. Also need to look at what I absolutely have to do for Christmas and knuckle down. time is getting away from me.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Something that would resemble icing...I used to make fluffy beards on the Santa cookies, and round balls of icing on for holly berries. :)

Tulip makes a puffy paint that might work.

Second baby sweater is still being worked on. Just can’t seem to sit and craft lately but if I’m going to get everything done in time for Christmas I better get busy.

This week I need to get the baby sweater finished and get busy on my Christmas cards.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
DJ the jackets are cute. AJ cute ornament. For some reason I can not log into my blog at all I did put pictures of the table I redid on my computer but now need to figure out how to relog into my blog to share them

short list this week since I really need to get these things done hopefully this week.

work on two quilts for friend
make chair for a friends grandsons first birthday that is now only a couple of weeks away
make shirt for same babies birthday along with a crown

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks for the compliments Pamela and Kim!

Fabulous work, AJ.

FS ~ That’s a predicament with the long name. Any nick-name? Those cookie-cutter ornaments will be memorable keepsakes. I, too, think the puffy-paint might be your answer for the texture.

I got the two tissue box covers finished today at Open Sew. I'm so glad, as it felt like it was difficult to find time and energy to do them at home. A large part of that issue was the craftermath in the studio. In the process of getting the bits and pieces ready to take to Open Sew today, I did some tidying up in the studio, so it was definitely a win-win!

I'm at the backstitching stage of the June owl, so, although there is quite a bit of it, I might be able to finish it in a couple sittings; and Thursday is a basket-weaving class, so I will have one more basket under my belt.

Tomorrow will be dedicated to some cooking and prepping for company at the lake; and Friday will be packing and travelling to the lake. I don't know what crafts I will want to take … definitely some knitting and CCS. That's probably all.

And soon, very soon, I need to turn my attention to fall and winter gift projects. Sonja's birthday in November, Valentin's birthday in December (day after Christmas), then Christmas, of course. Seeing what you all are working on for Christmas gifts is very inspiring!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I got my Simply Knitting magazine yesterday, and there is a Knit Along where they give you the pattern for 72 rows or something of an afghan each issue, so you leave it on your needles and wait for your next issue to knit the next bit. Each section has three different patterns in it, so when you're finished it's kind of like a sampler look. I was thinking that was a neat idea and I might try to knit one up for one of my girls for Christmas. I'd like to think I could cast one on for each of them.....but I probably don't have the time. I'm also not sure if it would be finished by Christmas - will have to check how many issues it's divided over. It comes from the UK so we're a little later getting the issues here too.

Has anyone ever done a pattern that way?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
FS - Hmmmm....I'm such a novice knitter anyway - a pattern that wasn't complete would drive me completely bonkers - stress me out - etc. But that is just the way my particular brain is wired LOL For the right person it could be really fun! Good point on trying to find out when you'd have the complete pattern by! That is probably the deal breaker right there...

DJ - Glad you dealt with craftermath!!! It just appears out of nowhere, doesn't it??? LOL

KimD - Great job on getting things ready for a quilt!!! Can't wait to see pics!

I finished the last felt swan ornament last night - so that makes 3 of those tucked away now.

I started sewing scrollwork felt apple ornament.

I'm stalled on the embroidery hoop wall hanging project - need to regroup. The "legs" I drew and embroidered are out of proportion to the body/heads I'm doing now. Wasn't obvious until I started on the "hair" for the little girls...sigh

Will have to pick them out and redo somehow in a way that covers the marks I made before. I'm going to cut a paper pattern for legs this time and hold in place first to make sure I've got the proportions right - THEN draw it!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Kim ~ Lovely job on the table! And you have beautiful children.

FS ~ I find with many craft-along projects, it sounds so easy in the beginning to keep up, but in reality, it’s so very easy to fall behind! They are very fun, though, kind of like eating an elephant. I did make a knit-along shrug quite a few years ago. Unfortunately, I didn’t like it when finished. It tended to pooch out in a funny way in back. Good luck with the re-drawing. I’m not good at that sort of thing, so I just follow patterns that others have already done the trouble-shooting with!

Time to start brainstorming ornament ideas for my DGKs!