Freezer Sessions 2019...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I just keep a pair next to each freezer! Saves time! And frostbite!
LOL, agreed.

Won't be long and you will be stocking up on Christmas cookies and meals to get you through the holidays. A never ending cycle of stock up for Winter/use up Winter start stocking for Summer.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I had 2 large containers of ricotta cheese they were getting close to their use by date so I made a batch of stuffed shells and manicotti's this morning and are flashing freezing them now. Once they are completely frozen I will place them into freezer bags.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'll be freezing more cheesecakes soon for a wedding at the end of the summer - BIL and his finance asked me to make several for their wedding cakes :)

STILL need to go through all freezers and toss items as needed and reorganize the rest!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I had 2 large containers of ricotta cheese they were getting close to their use by date so I made a batch of stuffed shells and manicotti's this morning and are flashing freezing them now. Once they are completely frozen I will place them into freezer bags.
Great way to use things before the use by date and the product is no longer good to use.
Does ricotta freeze well? If so I might make a few ricotta and spinach lasagnas for the freezer.

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Great way to use things before the use by date and the product is no longer good to use.
Does ricotta freeze well? If so I might make a few ricotta and spinach lasagnas for the freezer.

I have never had a problem freezing it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have frozen lasagnas that use ricotta cheese in the filling and it bakes up fine!

Went through 2 of the freezers yesterday and pitched anything too freezer burnt to recognize/consider eating - or anything too old to safely eat - not a huge amount lost - but there is more room in the freezers now!

Found a few things I had forgotten we had too - bonus!!! :)

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Stocked up on foil, parchament paper , zip lock bags , etc at the dollar tree sale today in preparation for fall cooking marathons.
Have only a couple things left in the big freezer to use up before fall.
I freeze lasagna and stuffed shells with ricotta all the time. I’ve froze regular cheese too. That I use just for baking. I don’t like it on a salad or sandwich after it’s frozen.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Found a few things I had forgotten we had too - bonus!!!
DH always know when I have tidied the freezer because dinner is some weird combination of freezer food.

Thank all for the advice on the ricotta am now aware that it freezes well.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Two cheesecakes in the freezer for the wedding!!! One Butterscotch and one White Choc Raspberry Truffle!

Made a Reese's PB cheesecake too but I forgot to add the sugar - took batter out of crust - added and baked. It is probably FINE but I just can't risk it when it's for a wedding! Will have to find it another "home" LOL

Used up all my lime rinds making lime curd - and boy was it fantastic! Need to buy more to juice and then freeze the rinds!

Reactions: PamelaG and Minta

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Two cheesecakes in the freezer for the wedding!!! One Butterscotch and one White Choc Raspberry Truffle!

Made a Reese's PB cheesecake too but I forgot to add the sugar - took batter out of crust - added and baked. It is probably FINE but I just can't risk it when it's for a wedding! Will have to find it another "home" LOL

Used up all my lime rinds making lime curd - and boy was it fantastic! Need to buy more to juice and then freeze the rinds!
Lime rinds makes me think of marmalade. Do you ever make it?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have never made marmalade - DH doesn't like it but I think that is the orange kind. I have been missing making and canning jams, preserves, etc. If you have a good recipe I'm all ears!!! :)

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Loving having meals in the freezer. Holiday Mom posted that she is going to start making go to meals for use over the Christmas period.
Am thinking that that is a great idea, Would like to have enchilada chicken and beans, savory mince and a few other items in the freezer so that I can just grab and go through those busier times.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

LOL! Hmmm... I'm thinking that cheesecake will travel from the freezer to your refrigerator to someone's stomach in no time.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Loving having meals in the freezer. Holiday Mom posted that she is going to start making go to meals for use over the Christmas period.
Am thinking that that is a great idea, Would like to have enchilada chicken and beans, savory mince and a few other items in the freezer so that I can just grab and go through those busier times.

Something that I have to do now is label the food for the planned occasion. My children are at the age that they will sometimes come up with their own meal plan idea and go through the freezer for the food. It is absolutely wonderful that they will do this. However, there is nothing worse than thinking you have the ingredients for a youth group dinner for 50 people in the freezer and then discover that it has been used unknowingly. :(

Now my freezer bags look like this -

26 July 2019
Ground Beef
Bag 1 of 2 for Youth Group Dinner

26 July 2019
Ground Beef
Bag 2 of 2 for Youth Group Dinner

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Finally got my meatballs made for the freezer. Made 2 lbs of Chicken Parm meatballs and 3 lbs of Turkey meatballs.
Went to the butcher the other stocked up on a lot of meats, couldn't beat their prices and we go there every 2 to 3 months. Was able to get 2 qrt freezer bags full of sliced chicken breast marinating in Italian dressing in the freezer and made 6lbs worth of 1/4 burgers premade, flash frozen and in freezer bags. Filled the freezer with a bunch of other meats. The chest freezer is now full.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Finally got my meatballs made for the freezer. Made 2 lbs of Chicken Parm meatballs and 3 lbs of Turkey meatballs.
Went to the butcher the other stocked up on a lot of meats, couldn't beat their prices and we go there every 2 to 3 months. Was able to get 2 qrt freezer bags full of sliced chicken breast marinating in Italian dressing in the freezer and made 6lbs worth of 1/4 burgers premade, flash frozen and in freezer bags. Filled the freezer with a bunch of other meats. The chest freezer is now full.

Oh Hamburgers. Need to get DH to make a big bunch of hamburgers for in the freezer. An easy thing to grab in the morning for a quick dinner at night.
I think I need to make a list.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Italian dressing has so many uses!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
2 more cheesecakes in the freezer now - Key Lime and Chocolate Lover's!

2 more to go and I'm done with the ones I need for the wedding!

I've been working hard on my menu planning for Halloween - New Years and think I have identified almost all the items I'll be making and freezing ahead. All ingredients added to Master Holiday Grocery List. Now I will go through my daily planner document and plug in dates to make each one - then put those dates on the master grocery list - sort by date and start buying little by little each week.

I had a bunch of $0.75 off 1 coupons for boxes of puff pastry that expire today so I've been using them up - 4 boxes tucked away now for the holidays!

There are a few things I want to test making now and see how they freeze/thaw - need to work on planning time for that as well!!!