2019 Holiday Grand Plan Begins...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My linen closet also hold sheets medicines and toiletries. Everything is containerized in baskets with tags on them. I have more sheets than I need and plan to resolve that when I redo that closet tomorrow. I know that I have excess in the toiletry supplies but will keep them and not stock up this year.

I am very disappointed about my towels. I purchase new ones in gray and white plus I have dark teal. They all look like they have bleach stains. I don't use bleach. I am not seeing this in any of our clothing. The only thing I can guess is that too much detergent was used or I had some with a non-chlorine, like oxy-clean. I don't know why but they dry the hair and the body. Can't afford to replace them yet.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My linen cupboard also has a shelf that I use as our food stockpile. The laundry is straight off the kitchen so is handy for the extra storage.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Good morning. I feel as if it's been forever since I've been here.
I am looking forward to the start of this. After my husband died I really let everything go. I've finally gotten to a point where I'm better & am ready to tackle it all.
There is one garbage bag (contractor size/strength) out front waiting to be picked up today. My daughter is helping me. We are getting the house & his garage in tip top shape, one area at a time. Each week we will fill up another bag & put stuff out by the road with a "free" sign.
I can't promise to be more active here, but I will try.
Have a great day.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
((hugs)) Lolwlias!!!! I can only imagine how difficult things have been :( Anything you accomplish is SOMETHING - look forward to seeing your posts - HGP venting is totally allowed too!!! :)

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Good morning. I feel as if it's been forever since I've been here.
I am looking forward to the start of this. After my husband died I really let everything go. I've finally gotten to a point where I'm better & am ready to tackle it all.
There is one garbage bag (contractor size/strength) out front waiting to be picked up today. My daughter is helping me. We are getting the house & his garage in tip top shape, one area at a time. Each week we will fill up another bag & put stuff out by the road with a "free" sign.
I can't promise to be more active here, but I will try.
Have a great day.
Happy to see you back, Laura. I took a long absence last year and was so glad to come back and chat with everyone again. Really lifted my spirits and got me back into action, in so many ways.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Looking back on the sheet and towel conversation. I seem to be a minimalist in this area. I have 2 sets of towels for each family member and 2 sets I keep extra for guest. Each set consist of a large towel and a bath "sheet" and then I just keep a stack of wash clothes and hand towels to use as needed. For our bed I have 2 sets of sheets. One regular and one fleece. I have one small linen closet in my house and simply don't have room for extras, so I wash and remake my bed in the same day. When they wear out, I buy a new set. I've done it this way for about 15 years now and it works fine for us.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm with you MinniCo on the towels and sheets. I do have 5 extra old towels I keep for the dogs. I've been thinking I might buy up some beach towels when they go on sale for our bath towels since we all like extra big towels.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Looking back on the sheet and towel conversation. I seem to be a minimalist in this area. I have 2 sets of towels for each family member and 2 sets I keep extra for guest. Each set consist of a large towel and a bath "sheet" and then I just keep a stack of wash clothes and hand towels to use as needed. For our bed I have 2 sets of sheets. One regular and one fleece. I have one small linen closet in my house and simply don't have room for extras, so I wash and remake my bed in the same day. When they wear out, I buy a new set. I've done it this way for about 15 years now and it works fine for us.
My linen closet in the new house is quite small too so I'll be restructuring the way it is organized during the Holiday Grand Plan.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
For our bed I have 2 sets of sheets. One regular and one fleece. I have one small linen closet in my house and simply don't have room for extras, so I wash and remake my bed in the same day. When they wear out, I buy a new set. I've done it this way for about 15 years now and it works fine for us.
I am sure that in days gone by they did not have as many sheets sets are we do now and they seemed to survive.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I read somewhere to store extra sheet sets under the mattress.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got an early start on the HGP this weekend - starting ahead since we'll miss a couple weeks at Disney and camping!

• Stripped bed
  • Dusted ceiling for cobwebs
  • Cleaned ceiling fan blades
  • Dusted blinds/spot cleaned as needed
  • Windexed windows/Cleaned window sills
  • Spot cleaned walls (area by dog bed!)
  • Sorted/Org both bedside tables
  • Spot cleaned surfaces of all bedside tables and dressers
  • Went through HUGE pile of stuff DH had collected on his dresser (it was covered!!!), reassigned new homes, sent things out to garage, etc.
  • Re-organized closet including going through medicine baskets, getting rid of expired items, combining duplicates, etc
  • Dusted
  • Cleaned dust off of lamp shades with lint roller, also used roller on felt wreath
  • Dusted panels inset into doors
  • Cleaned mirrors
  • Dry mopped under dressers, end tables
  • Wiped down baseboards, vent covers
  • Vacuum dog beds
  • Cloroxed the scale
  • Vacuumed the floor
  • Emptied cloth hamper, shook out empty hamper, used lint roller on bottom of bag that hits the floor
  • Remade the bed with clean sheets! Ahhhhhh.....

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I love reading everyone's lists as there is often something on them that I don't do.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got a jumpstart on Front Porch Week!

Actually I'm pretty much done - other than hanging up the fall wreath.

Got the house power washed - and did the deck railings while I was at it - THAT took a while! But everything looks so much better!!!

Cleaned the front door. Porch looks so nice - DH put together 2 new wooden rocking chairs and picked up nice cushions for them on clearance. I'll post a pic during the "official" week :)

I also started transitioning warm weather clothes out of the closet and sorted what was left.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I am so ready for the grand holiday plan this year. We just got back from family reunion and from being super sick back in June. My house has suffered. Hubby is on board as well. I am planning to give Hubby and Kiddo a couple jobs to do each week.

I have added my tasks into my calendar program.

In regards to the above conversation.... we have 3 towels per person and 2 sheet sets per bed. I have one set that doesn't fit either bed for guests.... if they sleep on our sectional. I have downsized to 3 extra quilts and 1 electric blanket. I still need to decide on my flannel throw blankets. We hardly ever use them.

Looking forward to the conversations each week.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
How does this work? Looks like last year, there was a weekly post with the week's title and everyone posted on that thread. AJ had this totally under control, are you planning to take the lead this year, AJ? I can't wait, I get excited when I look in my planner and see each week's page all printed and ready for my notes!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am happy to post weekly threads! Or if someone else wants to that is fine too. Or whoever gets to it first!

I think we typically include a link back to the appropriate week on the HGP site for reference - maybe copy/paste some of the description about that week's assignments.

Then we all start jumping in with our personal lists and then report back on progress.

Looking forward to it!!!