Crafters Challenge September 1st-7th, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Welcome! Welcome!

The "ber" months are upon us! Time to really start thinking about Christmas crafts, presents and such that you want to make. I think the majority of us have already gotten a GREAT start on making them, or have the items purchased to do so and several have items done! I know we will think of other items to sneak in for making too.

Some will be busy doing some cleaning outside too with the fall weather coming.

I have a couple shirts to sew some material into so can label shirts for Aunt Imogene.

If nice today I want to put new material onto Teigans swing set. That isn't a craft I know but using fabric. :) Bright waterproof safety yellow. We took the old off when we got it.

Really wanting to get that pattern made to try the scarf. Found a box that I can take apart and use yesterday for it.

What are your plans for this first week of September?

HAPPY HAPPY CRAFTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Myron's Mom

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have started and plan to finish my sampler. Once done I will frame them and they will be uses as prt of my Christmas decor.

I would like to try to purchase material needed for pillowcases. I do have the fabric for the case so I can get them cut out. I have a dozen to make.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Lana ~ I'm curious about the scarf pattern using a large box? Also, putting new fabric onto a swing set is crafting in my book.

We are at the lake until Wednesday or Thursday. Yesterday I found myself borrowing a sewing machine to make a baby towel for a wee one. It didn't go as well as it could/should have if I had been home or brought my own machine and tools. It was rather plain because I didn't have anything to embellish it with.

I should be finishing up the yo-yos today (84 needed for the elephant). Then I will start on the October CCS owl and continue to knit on the prayer shawl. Those are all the crafts I have with me.

DH has prepped some wood for me to make a barn quilt to hang on the front of our house. I need to research the type of paint to use and how I will draw my block on for painting. I want to make a Grandmothers Flower Garden block.

Once home, I have tons of crafts on my list. I will want to tackle the rest of the birthday banner first.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
The pattern is 40 x 9 and tapers so needed something long to draw it out on.

I have always wanted a Barn Quilt. I talked about them before people around here started with them. Always thought a Grandmothers Flower Garden would be pretty. I will do a couple one day!!!!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've been working on a shawl in fingering for no reason other than that I love the variegated turquoisey sparkley wool. I've messed it up so many times that the yarn looks pretty bedraggled and the metallic thread is broken in several places, but I'm teaching my daughter how to knit and I feel like I have to set a good example and keep going back and trying again. rrrg :)

I'd like to finish my shawl by the end of the week. Knitting lace when you're interupted every two minutes is pretty difficult...I seem to always mix up where I am in my pattern.

I should also be starting DD2's Christmas stocking.

I'm debating making the girls all slippers for Christmas. I have a pattern that belonged to my Nanny. There is a basic pattern for all of them, but 12 variations on how to finish them for different tastes. I just have to see if I can make them "grippy" on the bottom. The pattern knits up easily - it was the first project I ever made back when I was a little girl, and even then it only took me two evenings, so I imagine I could whip up a pair in in an evening now.

I found some neat patterns for making coasters that look like knotted rope using several feet of i-cord using a knitting nobby. I think I'll get one of the girls started on those for Christmas patterns. DD8 is trying to find a very easy knitting pattern she can handle for making gifts. So far she just does garter stitch, but her tension is really good for someone just learning....definitely better than mine was.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Not sure( again )how good the picture is but I finished my sons quilt today. I am so happy to be done.
I’m going to take a couple of days to clean and decorate for fall. Then I’ll start the Marshall university lap quilt for my husbands friend that has Alzheimer’s. He’s going through a lot right now so I feel I just need to get it done. Shouldn’t take long ( famous last words).
I’ll be registering for a few sewing/ embroidery classes this fall. One is quilting the others are related to either my software I just bought and the iq designer on my machine. I need a refresher on that for sure.
Frosty, my scarf yarn sounds just like yours. I’m pulling out what I’ve done again and will change stitches. At crochet class last week my cousin and I learned the waffle stitch. Will see how that goes. Of course I’ve not practiced since class.
Dahlia, I love the barn quilts. But I’m not sure I would have a place to put one up.
Lana, I was wondering about the scarf and the box too.
Have fun this week everyone!

Attachments

• 237A7281-70D1-4AA0-8A20-9C1D0BFA6B86.jpeg
    237A7281-70D1-4AA0-8A20-9C1D0BFA6B86.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 16

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Myron's Mom: That quilt is beautiful!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Myron's Mom....you have the patience of Job. It is absolutely one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! Congratulations on a job very well done.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Myron's Mon ~ Fabulous quilt for your lucky son!

My barn quilt will only be 2'x2' as that's the space I have over the garage. I think the "traditional" size would be 8'x8'. I want to do the Grandmother's Flower Garden block in memory of my mother.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I did one repeat of the lace pattern on my shawl. Dropped a stitch and spent an hour trying to fix that. I don't think I'll even want to look at this when it's done, but I'm determined to finish it. lol. Meanwhile it's really cutting into my time for making Christmas gifts.

I was looking through a book of mitten patterns I bought really cheap online. Some really nice different patterns. It's called Knitting New Mittens and Gloves. I think I may have to make everyone a unique pair for Christmas.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
The August CCS owl is coming along. I'm missing one of the colors of floss, so that part will have to wait till I get home. I had hoped to finish it before leaving. Oh well! We are watching some of the US Open tennis matches, so that's a good opportunity for knitting on the prayer shawl.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I got a few more stitches in my sampler last night. I find it very relaxing.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
When to the states over the long weekend and made good use of Joann’s and hobby lobby sales. Got some scrapbook paper to make some cards. Fabric for DGd nightgown for Christmas 2020. Also got a couple McCall patterns. One for children nightgowns and the other for a bag. Needed the set of next size up gown patterns. Couldn’t say no to $1.99 patterns when the cheapest here when they go on sale is $8.00.

The quilt store in my city is closing down so I hit that store this morning for a few things including backing fabric for a quilt on my crafting list. This store had the best selection of wide backing fabric in the 40 min travel area. The owners are retiring but has been telling the customers about a new store that is opening up about 20 minutes away in a near by city.

This week plans are to continue to knit on shawl.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Thank goodness for lifelines, crochet hooks and a husband who understood the need for an hour and half of totally do not disturb me whatsoever while I knitted one row on the shaw last night.
In this row I needed to make 24 flowers. In the process I dropped stitches, miss counted stitches and almost missed doing a couple increases. Thankfully the hardest row/part of the shawl for me is done.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Rose ~ Good purchases! I missed any holiday sales being at the lake. Nice to have a supportive DH!

I'm starting on the third skein of yarn for the prayer shawl and ready to do the final border on the August CCS owl. Today is Sewing Club.