Freezer Sessions 2019...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Place the froze piece of beef in a freezer bag with the marinade and toss into the freezer until its time to use. When the beef thaws the marinade will soak into it. I do this all the time and haven't had any issues.

You are awesome! Thank you!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got 2 batches of Chocolate Gobs and 2 batches of Sea Salt Butterscotch Pretzel cookies in the freezer last night!

Now that we're back from Disney I am jumping into freezer cooking full blast! Bar fridge freezer is empty, chest freezer half full, if that - so I have plenty of room to fill up! :)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Freezer space has opened up so I started on making the side dishes for Thanksgiving. This is the earliest that I've ever started. I got the cranberry sausage stuffing made. The first procedure on my leg is two weeks before Thanksgiving and I'm not sure how much I'll be feeling afterwards.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good planning Mary, better safe than sorry.
I picked up 4 packages of crumbed chicken tenders a few days back, they have gone straight into the freezer. Ham steaks are in there too. Would like to get some more ice creams on sticks but will wait until they are on special, not in such a rush that I need to pay full price.
Need to make sure that what I am going to prepare and freeze is packaged properly so still need to buy freezer paper.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Need to make sure that what I am going to prepare and freeze is packaged properly so still need to buy freezer paper.
Freezer paper... I have never used that. I think that I heard about it here years back but forgot all about it. I have used plastic wrap and plastic zippered bags. Do you notice a difference using freezer paper?

I made a second container of stuffing and froze it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm curious as to those who use freezer paper as well - I never have but always open to new ideas!

I about DIED when I got news of the King Arthur Flour recall right now. After getting 4 batches of cookies in the freezer!!!

Luckily none of my bags are included in the recall. Makes me nervous though! How the heck does that happen with flour??? Or do I even want to know?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Went meat shopping Friday and restocked the freezers. Fileted a bunch of chicken breast, flash froze some for easier thawing and cooking , and cooked and flashed froze the rest for quick easy dinners/sandwiches.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I use freezer paper for in between hamburger patties so that I can separate them easily. If I am making a double batch of meatballs I will pack meatballs, freezer paper and then meatballs. Stops them sticking. If I bake cakes I wrap them in freezer paper before the alfoil. I think you may call it parchment paper but not sure if it is the same thing.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I made up 10 lbs of mashed potatoes and put them in the freezer. I was going to make some more side dishes next week but the freezer is stuffed again. It will take a few weeks to get through everything.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Cooking up meat the past few weeks has served two purposes. We have our half cow coming in this month and I've still got a bit of meat left from 2018. So I'm cooking meat up a storm and been successful in using up all the ground beef in an attempt to clear out our freezer. My meatballs I made Friday with a new recipe were AMAZING. I also made a pot roast using a new cut I don't remember using Cross Rib Roast. OMG.....it was so yummy! Last time I made a roast for my daughter, by special request she said it just didn't taste like it normally does and she was right. Wish she'd been around to eat what I made this past weekend. I did have some left over so I froze it for a small 2 person meal or breakfast scramble.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I had to make room in our pantry for the flour and sugar that was on sale. I had 8 lbs. of dried beans that I cooked up and froze in quart size bags. I was able to squeeze them into the kitchen freezer.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My freezer at home is officially full and as I've said our storage freezers are off site. So I can't cook ANYTHING right now. I'm pretty proud of myself though because when I'm down and my family is cooking I have enough food in there for a weeks work of 2 personal meals (my brother and I only when hubby is gone) and a week of prepped meals for 3 of us. But since things were postponed a week, that's why I have no freezer space. But I'll make it work.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
AHorseSoul -- Did your chest freezer come with 2-3 racks or did you buy them seperately? Wonder if I can just buy more? Yours is so organized!

Re Cheesecakes -- I tried my Instant Pot for Cheesecake and it worked brilliantly! So happy I ordered a new pan just to fit it perfectly. Also designated a special sealing ring to be my desserts ring so my cheesecake doesn't taste savory! :) Will have to crank up the factory though to keep up with you AJ! I'd really like to ind another style of cheesecake dessert that is more pan style. Something I can cut up into squares and keep in the fridge or freezer for quick grabs. Can anyone think of a good recipe for something like that? I'm envisioning a sheet-cheesecake if there was such a thing.

Re Salad dressings -- I focused yesterday on knocking out some dressings and marinades I've been wanting to try. Came up with the best Greek dressing. Oh my Lord! Delish! Also experimented with high speed homemade mayo and nailed that too! I prefer the taste of homemade mayo but it takes forever with the slow pour. Found a video from Nom Nom Paleo and did it her way and BAM! I had awesome mayo instantly! She's awesome -- and so darn cute!

King Arthur -- :-O There's a recall? Oh no! But actually I haven't bought any flour since last November. And I still have plenty of it sitting in my freezer. Think its okay to use for cookies? I'd only poison family, not guess or strangers or anything. Its been frozen the whole time. I think I run into this question every other year. :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hello all!

Cindylouwho - Cheesecakes in the instant pot!?! I am intrigued!!!

I have a recipe for a simple cheesecake made in a 9x11 pan that would probably work for freezing! I really don't see why not - just add the topping after thawing I think. You could make in a foil pan and just pop it in the freezer either before or after cutting!

Laura’s Blueberry Cheese Cake

1 ½ - 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
½ cup sugar
¾ stick melted butter
2 eggs
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 can blueberry pie filling (or any flavor)

Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter and press into a 9x13 pan. Beat 2 eggs and add the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Pour over crust and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Cool and then put pie filling on top. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.

Salad dressing??? Mayo??? If you don't mind sharing links to recipes, etc. I would love to take a look!

Flour!!! I know - crazy to think about a recall of flour right??? The bad bags were certain lot numbers/exp dates.Here is a link to the full list:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/n...xt=The 25-pound bags were only sold at Costco.

I checked with a friend who is head of food safety for local college and she said that ecoli is killed at 160 degrees - so baked goods would be safe. It would be the danger of cross contamination from the raw flour or if you eat raw cookie dough.

None of my bags ended up being in the recall so I think I'm ok!

Freezer cooking this weekend!

Made a batch of chicken stock and froze in 1 cup and 2 cup bags - Got around 18 cups all together!

Made 1 batch of each of the following - baked then frozen:

Reese's PB Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Gingersnaps
Lemon Snowballs

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have been eating out of the freezer this week. :D I made an extra batch of baked ziti. I'm trying something new to me. I mixed the extra ricotta cheese and the extra shredded mozzarella together and froze it in small containers. I'm hoping to use that for baked ziti one of those busy nights in December.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Nearly completed plans for freezer session for November, Trying to use Instapot plus stove plus oven to maximise cooking time. Will do a big shop next week for ingredients and then have a prep day here. Need to look for freezer containers and tidy freezer before then.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Y'all are great at this! I think I need a second freezer...maybe if I can get the storage shed better organized.