January 2020 Rudolph Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
It was suggested that we all might benefit from having the Rudolph Day post up earlier in the month so we can look over the categories and see if we have the movie, book, magazine, etc. or look out for them at our local library or book store. The 10th of the month sounded like enough notice so here we go for the first month, hosted by AuntJamelle:

January

Movie - The Bishops Wife
Book - Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury (Collection of short stories by the author of Little Women)
Magazine - Any Southern Living Christmas issue!
Blog - Christmas Blog Hop starting wtih My 100 Year Old Home!
YouTube - How To Make a Door Wreath from Antique Books
Pinterest - Two More Book Page "Wreath" Ideas!

Check back here on the 25th and share your thoughts on January's categories. As always, substitutions are fine if you can't locate an item in the categories listed.

More detail on each category from AuntJamelle:

Movie - The Bishops Wife

Dejected by his efforts to raise money to build a cathedral, Bishop Henry Brougham (David Niven) beseeches heaven for guidance, and is visited immediately by Dudley (Cary Grant), who claims to be an angel. Henry is skeptical, then annoyed when Dudley ingratiates himself into the household as his assistant -- and worse, wins the attentions of Henry's long-suffering and kindly wife (Loretta Young). When Dudley continues to intervene in Henry's struggles, the bishop decides to challenge heaven.

Book - Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury (Collection of short stories by the author of Little Women)

"The Quiet Little Woman" and "Kate's Choice," here gathers those tales along with 18 others to comprise a "Christmas treasury"-all of Alcott's known Christmas sketches in one volume. Some will be dearly familiar to readers; an excerpt from Little Women, for example, reminds us of the yuletide benevolence of Marmee and her four girls. Other touching stories are less well known, such as "What Love Can Do," about residents of a boarding house joining together to make a lovely Christmas for two poor girls. (Poverty and Christmas charity are the themes that tie most of these stories together.)

I would check the library for this one!

Magazine - Any Southern Living Christmas issue! Share which one you pick and any ideas from it you love!

Blog - Christmas Blog Hop starting wtih My 100 Year Old Home!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/my100yearoldhome.com/christmas-blog-hop/amp/

YouTube - How To Make a Door Wreath from Antique Books (any old books really! think Goodwill!!)

https://pin.it/rrj73a5k2fusz4

Pinterest - Two More Book Page "Wreath" Ideas!

https://pin.it/sirf2d44kwfowu

https://pin.it/nhq7ogyed7zmwz

Last edited:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
That's a great idea. I always mean to find the movie, book etc. This gives us time to put the book on hold etc. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Looking forward to January's Rudy Day. A great start to the year.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I found at the library The Quiet Little Woman, A Christmas Story by Lousia May Alcott. It included 2 other short stories Tilly's Christmas and Rosa's Tale. I read it already, easy read, short in length and enjoyable.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I already own this movie. I thought I also have The Preacher's Wife but I couldn't find it.
I read the blog listed & looked at the Pinterest photos.
I'll watch the movie on the evening of the 25th. :)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
The craft room of the 100 year old house blog is ... wow! Love the live tree skirt!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Be still my heart, what a beautiful craft room. Makes me want to gut mine and start over.

Early Rudy Day here and I have a few things on my list, I will continue some knitting this afternoon while watching a movie. My book has not arrived from the library yet but I will look forward to reading that next week. I now wish that I had kept up a string of lights to remind my of the joy I felt a month ago as my family gathered around the tree and to dream about the Christmas that will be 11 months from now.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Lovely Rudolph Day - started off by watching a few December Daily 2019 videos and then made breakfast to enjoy with The Bishop's Wife. I love Cary Grant and David Niven, so distinguished. How I wish we all dressed as they did in the movie when we went out shopping or to dinner. I know casual is convenient but sometimes I long for the more formal times. My Gift Closet - General is all inventoried and I have enough stashed away to fill several Sisterchicks gift exchange boxes and for any white elephants that come up in the next year or two. I also set up a box for Gift Closet - Family for things I pick up for Sophia and Vic through the year. I don't know how many of you live near a Hallmark store but mine has everything Christmas 75% off. I had to exercise a LOT of self-control not to pick up an ornament or two! I updated my gift ideas list to add a few things that I'd like to think about for Sophia and Vic this year and trimmed down my Christmas card list. It was tough to remove people but they haven't sent cards for several years so I guess they just aren't going to bother any longer. A lot of them are on Facebook so they just send their holiday greetings that way.

The blog, You Tube, and Pinterest were really enjoyable. I remember seeing a rolled paper wreath some years ago when we went to Williamsburg in Virginia. It was made with sheet music and smaller so you could use it as an ornament. The wreath for the door was very impressive.

I forgot to check for a Southern Living Christmas issue at the library but I have to go there tomorrow to pick up a book that is in so I will check. I have the Louisa May Alcott's Treasury to work on between now and the announcement of the February selections.

As much as I miss Sophia and Vic dreadfully, it was so fun to spend the day on my own and completely immerse myself in Christmas today.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I also looked at the Southern Living magazine online, some lovely things on there. It is lovely looking at all things Winter while we are over here sweltering.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Went to the library to pick up the December issue of Southern Living only to find that it's still the one on display and back issues available for checkout were only January-November 2019.. Will make a note to pick it up for February's Rudolph Day.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I just sat and watched the movie The Bishops Wife. Such a good classic. The ice-skating scene is fun. When the professor’s port keeps getting filled back up is cute. The chair being stuck on the bishop‘s behind is too silly.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul