February 2020 Rudolph Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
How did it get to be February already??? Rudolph Day will be here before you know it.

Movie: The Holiday with Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet. This something my husband even likes. The score (by Hans Zimmer) makes this movie. My favorite part is when Iris and Arthur enter the theater. I don’t know why but I cry every time.

Book: Once Upon a Dickens Christmas by Michelle Griep. This is a collection of 3 Christmas stories set in Victorian England.

Magazines: Any Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies edition. I generally don’t make a lot from these but it so much fun to read and dream. And any Ideals Christmas edition. Always makes me warm and fuzzy. Fond memories from my childhood. To me just classic Christmas.

Blog: https://adebbie-dabblechristmas.blogspot.com/?m=1
I keep coming back to this blog. Not sure why lol. I love all of her decorations. I can’t imagine putting all that stuff away.

You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHRyj59SDu87xXds72hlDEa8F35IKDAq-&feature=share
This set of you tube videos is all about taking a old golden book and creating a junk journal. I think it would make a fun Christmas planner. The videos are a great jumping off point to make use of any old books.
Viewer warning: Theses are not short and to the point. Apparently they were a live feed so they are very, very long and unorganized at times.

Pinterest: My Pinterest account has been hacked many, many times since mid December. I couldn’t get any assistance in resolving what ever the issue was so I closed it. But here are a few of my finds.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNTabBf7OG9IYMc5iC7Ac-dmUs-IJlRzL
From the Fat Quarter Shop: mini Christmas quilt. Pattern is free! Doesn’t have to be a quilt, would make a nice table runner and placemats too.

I have a over abundance of mason jars and have been looking for something to do with at least some of them.

https://www.hometalk.com/29217874/tinted-mason-jars?expand_all_questions=1
This how to tint jars using Mod Podge and food coloring. Handy for any holiday.

https://craftsbyamanda.com/snowman-painted-jar-snow-place-like-home/
I like this one because if you are not handy with drawing you can download the author’s snowman to trace.

https://craftsbyamanda.com/mason-jar-tissue-holder/
Another one with a free file to download if you are not so handy. I love this one but if you have little ones or clumsy ( like me!) I’m not sure how a glass tissue would hold up.

And this isn’t Christmas but we all need chocolate for Valentines Day. My go to chocolate cake recipe! Makes the best cake ever!
https://www.modernhoney.com/love-at-first-sight-chocolate-cake/

Hope that you all have a fun and relaxing Rudolph Day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
WOW! Looking forward to February.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I have reserved the movie from the library. The book isn't available at the library, so I ordered one from Amazon. I have a Southern Living Christmas Cookies recipe book - haven't looked through it in years, I'll dust it off and find something new to make. I'm excited for Rudy Day!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Looks great!! Thanks!!

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I picked up The Holiday at the library yesterday. "Once Upon a Dickens Christmas" arrived in the mail today. I look forward to starting the book tomorrow.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Magazines: Any Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies edition. I generally don’t make a lot from these but it so much fun to read and dream. And any Ideals Christmas edition. Always makes me warm and fuzzy. Fond memories from my childhood. To me just classic Christmas.
Tell me more about Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies. I haven't picked up a Better Homes and Gardens magazine in years - I tried some Googling of back issues but I can't really find the information I'd like. I'm pretty sure BH&G is a monthly magazine, correct? Is the Christmas Cookies edition a special extra issue around the holidays? It looks to be a stand-alone issue. I'll have to check to see if my library carries it with the BH&G issues. Thanks!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I think that most - if not all - the recipes from the magazines would be on their website - if nothing else, go to BHG's site and then Recipes and Christmas to find cookies to drool over :)

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Yes, you are correct, BH&G is a monthly magazine. The Christmas cookie edition one of their “special editions” I start seeing them here when all the other magazine Christmas editions pop up. I googled “ better homes and gardens Christmas cookie special edition” and they came up on amazon, etsy and I think eBay. I really prefer the much older editions, not sure why but I do. Hope this helps!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Yes, you are correct, BH&G is a monthly magazine. The Christmas cookie edition one of their “special editions” I start seeing them here when all the other magazine Christmas editions pop up. I googled “ better homes and gardens Christmas cookie special edition” and they came up on amazon, etsy and I think eBay. I really prefer the much older editions, not sure why but I do. Hope this helps!
Thank you, I'll check. I prefer the older editions too, I'll talk more about that in my March Rudolph Day categories and details.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Loving that snowman jar. I am in the mood for some Christmas decorating lol

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Finished Once Upon a Dickens Christmas this morning.

Amelia great recommendation enjoyed it immensely. Hard to put down.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It's Rudy day here!!! Happy day to you all. I will celebrate a bit more tomorrow and some more on the weekend.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Hello there!

I had a very enjoyable Rudolph Day weekend - watched the movie, went through all of the links - some great ideas there - and enjoyed three back issues of BH&G Christmas Cookies magazine that I picked on Ebay for $3 (ok, so the shipping was $6 more but still $9 is a bargain for three issues in excellent condition). Just reaffirms what I feel strongly - that the older magazines were better. I think they are even thicker than the new versions. I suppose we may go the way of e-magazines completely one day but not yet and Ebay is a great resource for older issues.

Love The Holiday - it is one of my favorite movies and I'm sure you all know why - Christmas and England! I cry every time Arthur goes into the theater - what an amazing friendship that would be to meet someone from that era in Hollywood.

The only thing I have left to do is to read the book. I did manage to check out the Southern Living Christmas 2019 issue from the library - not my style at all but I'm looking forward to exploring different Christmas magazines this year.

Thank you, Amelia, for fantastic selections!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I picked up a Christmas gift yesterday and later this week I will stop at the dollar store to pick up a roll of parchment paper and a roll of wax paper to be tucked away for holiday baking.