Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have made lasagna using cottage cheese instead of ricotta. It was good.
Oh, good idea. I have mince and passatta so can do that.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Diedra, thank you. I thought it was ricotta when I picked it up only to realise that it was cottage cheese. I will remember to drain the cheese well.

I have a friend that makes macaroni and cheese with cottage cheese for protein.

I wonder if cottage cheese can be put through the blender for a ricotta like texture... We have added ricotta cheese to our pancake mix for added protein.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
All good ideas about the cottage cheese. Not something that I typically buy so not really sure how to use it.

I have made lunches for tomorrow and Tuesday. Very frugal. Some macaroni pasta that I have added onion, gherkins and celery to. Mixed up a dressing of leftover sauces in the fridge so used up some bits there. Made some jelly (jello) and will pop in a piece of fruit. Drinks will be water and hot tea at work.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Any ideas on how to repurpose roast leftovers? I cooked a roast the other day and don't want the leftovers to go to waste.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Any ideas on how to repurpose roast leftovers? I cooked a roast the other day and don't want the leftovers to go to waste.
Shred it put it in gravy or white sauce and put on toast. Or make put in an aus sauce with Italian seasoning Italian beef sandwiches. Other option is to freeze it for later.

Reactions: MrsSoup and Minta

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Add gravy and serve over mashed potatoes with peas or green beans
Shedded, add BBQ sauce for a sandwich with sliced onions with coleslaw
Crushed corn chips, shredded cheese, black or kidney beans, add chopped beef with The Sauce—-equal parts sour cream and mayo mixed with a dry package of Ranch dressing and some green chilies, a little lime juice if you have it, The green chilies are not hot.
Noodles, shred the beef and a can of mushroom soup, toss in leftover cooked veggies
Toast some french bread, mix mayo with garlic and dill weed. Spread on bread add shredded beef and some plain cooked shrimp and some sliced cucumbers
Could also chop it cold and toss in a salad with some grilled peppers

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Thanks for all the ideas!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Cottage Cheese in place of Ricotta was the first thing I thought of!!!

Oddly enough, I just took down a recipe from my MIL for an old family favorite called Polinchintas - not really sure on that spelling? Basically they are crepes with a filling made from cottage cheese, a bit of sour cream, sugar, cinnamon, etc. You make the crepes, fill them and chill before frying again to brown outsides. DH is excited to make them - hasn't had them since he was a kid! :)

Leftover roast is very versatile!!! Great lists from all so far!!!

Shepherd's Pie is best made with roast meat - IMHO :rolleyes:

Cheesy Beef Taquito Filling is my other go to way to use up leftover roast.

Happy to link back to where I've posted those recipes if anyone can't find them!

I got my onions tied up and hung up in the pantry :)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
AJ- I would love if you could link to the taquito recipe. I love taquitos and DH actually suggested that I just didn't know because the meat isn't really seasoned much.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
It's in the Freezer recipes thread, but it's probably easier for me to copy/paste it here :)

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/freezer-meal-creamy-chicken-taquitos/

The freezer friendly part of this is that the meat mixture is made ahead of time and frozen. I freeze flat in a small ziplock bag. Then just thaw overnight in fridge (or last minute in microwave - I just peel the bag off and put frozen slab on plate to defrost) and use to fill your shells.

We prefer to fill less shells with more mixture - making each one a more hearty serving. And it uses less shells/carbs :)

Instead of cooking spray we brush with oil and use our NuWave oven to air "fry" them. Very, very good and such a quick easy meal for me to pull together on week nights!

Creamy Beef Taquitos

Same recipe as above but instead of shredded chicken I use shredded beef made by cooking the roast part of this recipe here:

http://www.heatherlikesfood.com/beef-and-blue-sliders/

From a 2 lb roast I have enough for a double batch of taquito filling plus another 3 cups or so that I just freeze plain. Can use for many different things including as a jumpstart to the beef and blue slides recipe itself!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I found some meat patties in the freezer, cooked them in some gravy and served them on toasted bread rolls and mashed potatoes. Cost us nothing and was really quite delicious. We are becoming very innovative in making up menus.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We had wings for supper. They'd been in the freezer for some time, in danger of getting freezer burned. I also cooked some boxed scalloped potatoes that had been in the pantry a while. I "doctored" them up some to make them taste better.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Any ideas on how to repurpose roast leftovers?

One more idea that I'll be doing myself this week - use the beef in a stir fry. Just add frozen veg, maybe a can of water chestnuts, make up a sauce and serve over rice.

I went through all the blocks of cream cheese I had stashed downstairs for the school fundraiser I normally bake for each May - I have 35 blocks!!!:eek:

And I had to throw away 4 blocks that expired over a month ago - if all this hadn't happened that cream cheese would have been made into a cheesecake and frozen. HATE to throw food away like that!

Making plans to use up as much cream cheese in our weekly meals as possible...will report back.

Trying to keep on top of what expires first.

Have made up some DIY Pancake mixes and need to do another batch of Taco Seasoning.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
One more idea that I'll be doing myself this week - use the beef in a stir fry. Just add frozen veg, maybe a can of water chestnuts, make up a sauce and serve over rice.

I went through all the blocks of cream cheese I had stashed downstairs for the school fundraiser I normally bake for each May - I have 35 blocks!!!:eek:

And I had to throw away 4 blocks that expired over a month ago - if all this hadn't happened that cream cheese would have been made into a cheesecake and frozen. HATE to throw food away like that!

Making plans to use up as much cream cheese in our weekly meals as possible...will report back.

Trying to keep on top of what expires first.

Have made up some DIY Pancake mixes and need to do another batch of Taco Seasoning.

Made these biscuits for the first time last night.. so easy and so good and they use cream cheese.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/callies-charleston-biscuits-5624610

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
For Thanksgiving, we use cream cheese to make creamed spinach and we use it in our mashed potatoes. Could you make a few cheesecakes and give them as gifts for Mother's Day or drop them off to some one in need of a pick me up? How long will the cheese cakes last in the freezer?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I will be trying that biscuit recipe Minta - thank you!

Mary - I am actually going to make 2 cheesecakes later today! Made the crusts last night :) DH will drop off at his brother's house tomorrow - along with a tool he was returning. No contact - just a drive and drop!

That will use up 6 blocks or so...:rolleyes:

Cheesecakes last 3 months or so in freezer but they also take up a lot of room. I might have room for 2 right now. And several of the blocks I have don't expire until Aug/Sept so using it all should be doable. As time goes on and space opens up in freezer I could add another cheesecake in.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN