Gift Closet 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
For my son I bought a bottle of wine and a pack of toilet paper lol. What can I say......

When the disinfecting wipes, liquid hand soap and hand sanitizer make a come back, I'm going to start buying them each time I see them on the shelves. I want to make gift bags for the postal carrier, trash/recycling crew, bus drivers and teachers. Any suggestions on something else I could put in there. In the past, I've given them hot chocolate packets and Pepperidge Farm cookies.

I am trying to make more gifts this year and I think Mum and DD would find these very useful.

I am too. For years, I've talked about giving out home made spice mixes, making liqueurs and making extracts. My follow through has not been there. This year, I'm going to do it. :D I'm getting supplies lined up now.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I bought a couple at Hallmark in their 75% off sale after Christmas. $21.99 so they were $5.50. The tea towels are an ivory waffle-weave with beautiful red embroidery "You had me at HO HO HO" and the boa piece that goes around your next is red and white almost a gingham but it's not checkered, it's more like a design with snowflakes. So pretty, I'm kicking myself for not buying more. Please post the link - I'm not handy with a sewing machine but Vic is and he might like to try his hand at these.

That would be fabulous. I am trying to make more gifts this year and I think Mum and DD would find these very useful.

I posted the links under crafts, something, something, and links lol. I can’t remember the exact title. Anyways I started the thread called kitchen towel boas. I hope it helps. Our Kohl’s always has pretty towels in the clearance section. Nice way to use up your stash too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am too. For years, I've talked about giving out home made spice mixes, making liqueurs and making extracts. My follow through has not been there. This year, I'm going to do it. :D I'm getting supplies lined up now.
Mary, I am going to try shower melts. You need some corn starch, water, scented oil and some food colouring. Mix it all together and place it in moulds to set. You put one in the bottom if the shower and as they melt they release a scent. I am going to lavender ones for the Summer and Peppermint ones for Winter. They seem very easy to make, look at Pintrest for ideas.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Mary, I am going to try shower melts. You need some corn starch, water, scented oil and some food colouring. Mix it all together and place it in moulds to set. You put one in the bottom if the shower and as they melt they release a scent. I am going to lavender ones for the Summer and Peppermint ones for Winter. They seem very easy to make, look at Pintrest for ideas.
I need to try these. I looked at LUSH last Christmas but they only had smaller items called steamer tablets for the face (pop in a large bowl of boiling water and make a tent with a towel so the steam wafts up on your face), nothing large enough to place in the shower.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary. I think any mould would work. I have large "ice cube" mould that are used to freeze stock in. I am thinking I will use those.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Stoped at the dollar tree, they didn’t have a lot. I did find a cookbook and Longhorn steak house grill seasoning and red lobster seafood seasoning for my son.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have bought hand wash in the pump bottle and hand sanitisers when I saw them last week. Each person in my family will get one of each in their Christmas stocking this year. May become a tradition for us.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Bought my son toilet paper, body wash and Lysol spray ( no wipes available anywhere here).
Found a 40% off coupon from kohl’s in my email this morning. Bought my son 2 candles and Christmas socks all on clearance. Found Marshall university socks for my husbands buddy that has Alzheimer’s. I think I might do a little more shopping later today.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I checked the stocking fillers that I have purchased and find I am doing quite well which surprised me. I made a decision at the beginning of the year to cut right back this year. I did this for a number of reasons. One was financial, I was spending a lot of money not only on gifts but all the other associated things that go with Christmas. The 2nd reason is that we get entirely too much. We do not need a lot so decided that the stockings will be useful items that the kids can use throughout the year. Any way when I looked through the stocking boxes I think I am on track.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I checked the stocking fillers that I have purchased and find I am doing quite well which surprised me. I made a decision at the beginning of the year to cut right back this year. I did this for a number of reasons. One was financial, I was spending a lot of money not only on gifts but all the other associated things that go with Christmas. The 2nd reason is that we get entirely too much. We do not need a lot so decided that the stockings will be useful items that the kids can use throughout the year. Any way when I looked through the stocking boxes I think I am on track.
Yes, stocking stuffers really can get out of hand - a lot of money spent on things that you don't really need or in some cases, will even use. Better to work from a list of things you know they will find useful.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We are down to lottery tickets for stocking here. I used to fill them up with stuff and decided it wasn’t worth spending the money. I don’t buy as many lottery tickets any more either. Not body seems to miss it. But I don’t have little ones either just adults.

Found a few more cookbooks at dollar tree for my son. Ordered a attachment for his vacuum sealer to do bottles. I need to get out to do some serious shopping for him and my husband.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Placed an online order from a big department store a few days ago. I ordered 8 items, 4 did not come in as they were out of stock. Of course the stuff that arrived was not Christmas gifts except for a gardening book for DH.
I am hoping that the online shopping picks up if this is going to be the only way I can shop.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I got an online order from Pyrex that's going into the gift closet - four 4-cup glass bowls with lids, two decorated with gnomes and two with dog patterns (they had cats too for cat lovers). I'm going to wrap them with Sophia's gift wrap design on one half of the box and my design on the other. She can choose which two she wants and I'll take the other two. I bought them on a free shipping special or 30% off sale or some deal like that. I signed up on their mailing list to be notified when the Baby Yoda bowls come back into stock (no luck yet) but saw these and liked them.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I grabbed some Pyrex last year that had snowflakes on them, they made a nice gift.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Finally went to the dollarstore, 1st time since march! got a few goodies for the stockings.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
You ladies are on a roll. I have not bought anything since Jan/Feb. I do have a list of a few local mom and pop shops that I want to visit and pick up a few gifts/stocking stuffers once they are allowed to open.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got an online order from Pyrex that's going into the gift closet - four 4-cup glass bowls with lids, two decorated with gnomes and two with dog patterns (they had cats too for cat lovers). .
I had know idea that these kinds of things existed.

Reactions: luludou

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I had know idea that these kinds of things existed.
I've seen the occasional decorative glass Pyrex bowls at Target - they sometimes come in a set of three or four and have things like Leftovers or yum yum yum or snacks on the side but the dog and cat designs and all the holiday ones are so cute. I can't wait to see what they come out with at Christmas - perfect gift exchange or hostess gift item if the bowl is filled with something yummy with the recipe as a gift tag.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
perfect gift exchange or hostess gift item if the bowl is filled with something yummy with the recipe as a gift tag.
We did see Christmas tree pyrex here last year, so cute.