2011 What are you reading this year?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Here is what I have from the library this week:
The Pioneer Woman Cooks--excellent recipes and I love her story and family photos
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins--second book of the Hunger Games, seems OK
Blind Your Ponies by Stanley West--seem good, haven't read his other books
Angel Time by Anne Rice--not catching my interest at all, have put it down twice
Paper Scissors Death by Joanna Slan--sappy light reading, have read the others in this Scrap-N-Craft Mystery series
Kiss of the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon--part of the Dark Hunter Series, it's a HEA which I do not like, not something I can't put down at least so far, was recommend by another reader who told me the books get better as the series goes along--update Jan 23, finished tonight. I'm thinking my reading friend is right, they might just be getting better. Will order the next book, Night Play.
Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas--haven't looked at it yet and have not read any of her other books

So what are you reading this year and are you enjoying it?

Last edited:

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Ahorsesoul ~ My students love the Hunger Games Series. Mocking Jay is the next one after Catching Fire. I also like The Pioneer Woman Cooks. She lives about 45 minutes from where I teach.
Right now I am reading "A Walk To Remember" by Nicholas Sparks. and "Teaching Outside The Box" by LouAnne Johnson. Very good informational book for teachers. Don't know what I will read next.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I just finished a book called Dixie Divas it was a cute Murder myster book set in Mississippi. I just started another Debbie Macomber book called Hannah's list.
Mom gave me a book I have read some here and there called the iY generation. It's about the new generation of kids, a little older than mine. How they are learning short term commitments, quick gratification, not learning consequences to their actions, how to have down time.... different things and changes we can make to help them in the future. I havn't read much but it's very interesting.
Past that I have some of this and that on my ereader and some from mom/dad to go through.

My ereader came w/ classics on it and I am reading Alice in Wonderland. I don't think I ever read the book. It's strange but one of those I can now say that I have read.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Let's see, so far this year I have read:

Where Angels Go by Debbie Macomber
Ghost in Trouble by Carolyn Hart
Awakened by P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast
Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich
Ghouls Ghouls Ghouls by Victoria Laurie (reading now)

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Yesterday I finished rereading The Tightwad Gazette and Voluntary Simplicity.

I have just started Debt Free for Life by David Bach. I love his books.

I also have Peace and Plenty by Sarah Ban Breathnach waiting to be started.

The Happiness Project in on my bedside table as well.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Piratemamaof3boys,
I just heard about the iY Generation last week. It is by Tim Elmore right? I am going to check into getting that book. He is going to be talking at a Convention DH is going to. I might ask him to swing by there and pick me up a copy.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I read:

The S*!& My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

Happiness Key by Emilie Richards

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

A Gift to Last by Debbie Macomber

I'm reading:

The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo, but just can't get into it. On the Kindle I'm reading Fools Rush In by Janice Thompson and Connect to Love by M. Gary Neuman.

I'm also going through The Semi Homemade Cookbook by Sandra Lee

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm reading a couple of things, as usual.

On my kindle I have the first book in the Game of Thrones sf/fantasy series. I figure I should read it before it comes on HBO:). I'm getting into it.

In hard cover (actually paperback) I have Michael and Kathleen Gear's the First North American Series The Weeping Eye.

I also have a few knitting books by the side of my bed.

I finished the Happiness Project and got some good ideas from it although I haven't come up with 10 commandments and 12 rules of adulthood, or whatever they were called. I have a couple of each and it's nice to see them in print in my notebook.

I also finished Marion Zimmer Bradley's Ravens of Avalon by Diana Paxson. I enjoyed that one and it's spurred me to find some books on paganism. I may have to do an Amazon order this week.

Debbie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The library cut me off, reached my limit of 40 books ordered at a time. I think I need DH library card so I can order more. More. I tell you. More.

Justine Halpern book I just did not like. Glad other people like it.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The librarian said it was so good and I saw it on the NY Book List so I thought great, a good book. I'm not sure how I ever read all three of those books. Drag Drag Drag. Just watch the movie. It follows the story line very well without getting into all the subplots. I liked it better than the book which is usually the opposite for me. I hate movies that add other plots that were not in the book. Put children to bed before watching. Swedish films do not cover much up so there is no guessing about the sex scenes.

Debbie Macomber books I can read. They are what I call HEA books just not so much to my liking.

Same with Janet Evanovich. Wicked Appetite is a little different from her usual writings. Nice easy reading with her books.

The library cut me off when I was attempting to order the books by P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast.

Will be back to ordering as soon as I hit the library tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I just finished Eat, pray, love. I liked it but I found some passages a bit long.

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
So far this year I have read Northern Lights by Nora Roberts, Mrs. Miracle, by Debbie Macomber (ordered from library and got it in Jan.), 1022 Evergreen Place, by Debbie Macomber and currently reading The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs and Naked Heat by Richard Castle.

On deck, I have The Confession by John Grisham and Heat Wave by Richard Castle.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
So far, I've read....
The Bestseller (Olivia Goldsmith)
Dragongirl (Todd Mccaffrey)
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (Browne & King)
Mirror, Mirror (Gregory Maguire)

I'm about halfway through Little Bee (Chris Cleave). Parts of it are really good although the chunk written phonetically with the Jamaican girl made me nuts. Tell me she's got a heavy accent, but please write it in English. I'm not sure it's the rave other people have suggested, but maybe it will pick up more. Right now, it's just okay.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
On my kindle I have the first book in the Game of Thrones sf/fantasy series. I figure I should read it before it comes on HBO:). I'm getting into it.

Debbie - Please let me know how you like the game of Thrones...I saw a review of the show and thought I might look into the books.

So far this year I have read:

Little Bee - Chris Cleave (given to me by our nanny - not my favorite book, but OK)

The Hangman's Daughter - Oliver Potzche (interesting, but not as good as the Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent IMO)

Devil in the White City - Erik Larson (I enjoyed this one - following an arhitect and a serial killer during the 1892-93 Chicago World's Fair)

Awakened - PC Cast & Kristen Cast (got this from my SIL - I don't like it as much as the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins mainly because I don't like the main character...too whiny!)

I am currently reading: Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen (It's been on my shelf for a while), The Female Brain - Louann Brizendine (I will definitely read The Male Brain when I'm done) and the Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin.

On Deck: Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand (I read a 20 page excerpt and can't wait to read the whole thing), the Terror - Dan Simmons and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot

The Steig Larsson books (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, etc.) take a while to really pick up steam, but they do get MUCH better! Stick with it - you'll be glad you did!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
So far this year I have read Northern Lights by Nora Roberts, Mrs. Miracle, by Debbie Macomber (ordered from library and got it in Jan.), 1022 Evergreen Place, by Debbie Macomber and currently reading The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs and Naked Heat by Richard Castle.

On deck, I have The Confession by John Grisham and Heat Wave by Richard Castle.

I just discovered that There were actual Richard Castle books. I love the tv show so next time I am at the library I am looking for them

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Catching Fire-for some reason this second book did not interest me at all, maybe I needed to keep reading
Peace and Plenty I read the first 5 chapters but lost interest.
Ravens of Avalon—some how I could not get into this book and returned it before finishing. May try it again.
Advent conspiracy Seemed to me more about advertising to donate to their cause than anything else. I only read about 12 pages before returning it
New York Dead by Stuart Wood—easy reading, you can guess who the bad person is and wonder why the cop is so unaware
First Grave On the Right—PI who can see and talk with the dead. Not as good as the reviews but kind of cute
Twenty Wishes—loved the idea of the wish list; story is sappy of course, easy reading
A Game of Thrones by George Martin—I was not fond of the way the story was formatted but liked the story, kind of ended funny
The Story of O by Pauline Reage--weird book or really letters made into a book, total female submission erotica, not good at all, I forced myself to read two chapters, if it wasn't a library book I'd have tossed it, still trying to figure out why I picked this up

I’m out of books at the moment so I’ll be reading “The Charm School’ by Nelson DeMille. It’s one of my DH books but Demille is readable, just not knock your socks off. Done with the book on Monday. Was ok but not my kind of thing. Was about a Russian school that trained spies set during the Cold War Era. To me was more a guy type of book with lots of military jargon. Totally out of reading material unless I start my DHs 'The Bourne Deception' with Jason Bourne.
Movies:
Band of Brothers—the TV mini series, good
Case 39—evil in a little girl, was watchable, will make me think twice before helping
Princess Kaiulani—movie about the Hawaii’s last princess, interesting, makes me want to read more about her life
Conviction-movie about a sister who becomes a lawyer (first she had to get her GED) to set her brother free from a false conviction of murder-based on a true story, pretty good
Secretariat-I liked it but I love horses, based on true events
The Joneses—was good with a great point about why keeping up with the Joneses isn’t a good thing
The Good, The Bad, and the Weird—ok a little to corny for me, only watch about half the movie, the previews show all the good parts

Last edited:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I'm currently reading "The Unsuspecting Mage" by Brain S. Pratt on my Nook. It was free at B&N and so far is a pretty good book.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I need to update. LOL

Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber
204 Rosewood Lane by Debbie Macomber
8 Sandpiper Way Debbie Macomber

Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich
Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (couldn't get into so stopped reading)

On deck:

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
Home Comforts by Cheryl Mendelson
1022 Evergreen Place by Debbie Macomber

Plus the free ones on my Nook, but I can't remember the titles.

Last edited:

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I recently finished Gretchen Rubin's "Happiness project". I really liked it and motivated me to change some things (eg go to bed earlier :))
At the moment I am reading Ken Follet's Fall of the Giants.. But I still have 2 other books by Ken Follet as well as two books of Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

So I am busy... :)

Chilli

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I went on a reading binge last weekend and this past week and finished the first two books in the Fire & Ice Series by George R.R. Martin - A Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings...I am almost 1/2 way through the third book Storm of Swords but it is 1200 pages long and I need a break. It makes me wish we had HBO, though. I'll have to wait to see the series on DVD.

My nephew's birthday (14yo) is coming up and he asked me for BOOKS! Yay! Have any of you read the Maze Runner/Scortch Trials by James Dasher or I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore? I try to read them before I give them as gifts to make sure they're appropriate. Just wondering if these are worth the time.

Happy Reading!

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Right now I'm almost finished with 'Her Honor' with William J.Coughlin... it's a good book.

Colleen -- kids who ask for books... now that I like! :)