2012 Savings for Christmas, do it now.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yes, you read that correct. It is time to think about saving for NEXT year. If you do not have a Christmas Savings account set one up NOW. I just looked and my bank has it so I can set up an account online. I can start taking money out Oct 15th without a fee (be sure to check for the details). So do this today: check out online to see if your bank has this as an option. If not while you are out and about this week stop by your bank to set up an account.

Those of you that already have an account, buy yourself a little special gift today.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Ah!

Thinking ahead, are we?! Good plan!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You bet. There are a lot of people who are now wishing they had done this last year. lol

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
sounds good never to early to start. after my sofa and tv im buying im putting money away.

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
Can't do it online, but if I can get out tomorrow, I'll make sure that it is renewed for 2012, and this time I'm going to make sure that I can move amounts from my checking account over to it, not just have base amount put into Christmas Club.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Sounds good! I already have an online account, but I'll need to work out my 2012 budget early, and decide on a weekly amount to set aside. Starting from the week after Christmas - so there's a whole year of weekly payments!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have set up an account for next year - surprising what you can do online now!

I have it set up so that a certain amount goes in each Friday, and everytime I use my interact card - a dollar goes into the savings account. Let the saving begin!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Wonderful!

Great ideas! I did put some aside each week. What a blessing to plan ahead. :)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
It's true, it'll be Christmas 2012 before we know it!
Cashed my tax rebate cheque last week and put the money aside for next Christmas. Also, after dd's birthday, I see she's not developmentally ready for some of her Christmas gifts, so I've put them aside for next year. Great jumpstart to Christmas.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
FrostyShimmer.... GREAT JOB!!!!!

The way things are going in the world.... establishing a savings account for Christmas 2012 is really important!!!!!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Here is part of what I just posted on the 2011 thread, it's my plan for 2012.

My DH gets paid 2 times a month occassionally there is an extra check, he works for the city so pay isn't excessive lol. I think I'll plan a Rudy day tuck away" in like a small bill I need to pay. But I'm going to muliple that times 3(Rudy Day, possible emergency or maintance, & whatever) then divide by 2. And take the amount out each paycheck.

Plus as someone(sorry don't remember who) suggested I think I will put some of my own up out of taxes. I have already told DH(in front of witness because he doesn't hear or forgets what I say)we'll be putting some of our taxes up for AC's this spring.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts...

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Our bank won't let us restart our Christmas account until January, but our January paychecks....it will start! DH and I are also going to save our change this year. I am looking forward to that. I need to see if my sister had a spare water jug we can have to put it in.

I will also be buying all through the year this year - at least stocking stuffers to relieve some of the budget burden around Christmas next year.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I use my Christmas Clubs for real estate taxes so I would like to do what I have did in the past. Take $20 from each of our pay and put in an envelope. And I took $5 from each pay so for the month would be $25 and then I purchased a gift card like at Wal-Mart, Krogers and had it for baking supplies and such. That ideal came from the boards here. Seems I build the envelope up and then something comes up (new tires etc) and it is gone.

I save change and I keep dimes out seperate in another container. They add up fast.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I have an envelope started for 2012, can't wait to start adding to it. It will be a small amount each week for now, but I really want to make out a budget of who we buy for and how much we spend...so I know how much to be sure to save. Sometime over the summer I will start a baking supplies envelope so when it comes time to buy, I will have the money. I make my own cards, and have supplies for that, so no extra money needed to be spent, as well as enough wrapping paper for next Christmas. I will just need to have $$ set aside to buy Christmas stamps next October.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
I really need to start saving for Christmas 2012!! This year was hard as we had a wedding in November. Not sure the best way to do that, a savings account or a cash jar at home, either way I could take for other expenses, I am bad about that, need to be more disciplined I guess...

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I have a Christmas account set up at the credit union so that's where my Christmas money goes.

I did pull from it this year for other things.

Like Lana said- it seems when you have a bit saved up, the car breaks down or you need a home repair or something.

I was thinking about doing a savings with a trusted friend- where I give them the $$ and then they give it back to me when I'm ready to Christmas shop. Like- they are the holders of the Christmas envelope. And I would do the same for them! I think that would be fun!

Annie

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I have a savings account set up at my bank for real estate taxes and Christmas. I make the transfer the first of the month. This year I am also going to take a little cash from each pay check to put aside for groceries. I didn't do as well as I could have this year with buying groceries ahead of time and we had a big hit in Dec. I am also going to add to a Sams gift card monthly. That came in really handy this year.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I like the gift card ideas. I was going to do that last year, but always forgot. As many trips as I take to WalMart, if I just put $2-5 on it every trip I make, that would really add up!

I don't go to Sam's as often, but doesn't a WM card work at Sam's, too? I go there more around Christmas and during the summer. If I put $10 in one for Sam's everytime I go, I would probably have around $100 on there. That would be better than nothing.

Annie, what you said about it seeming that things come up when we get money set aside is so true, but I just see it as God providing for my needs. Thankful I have it tucked away, every time.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I have about 3 cents left to my name until DH gets paid again but I put $3 in my CHristmas account just to feel like I've started. After all, saving a little is better than saving nothing, right?