2014 Christmas Card Exchange

Discussion in 'Swap Rules, Swap Proposals, Current Swaps' started by piratemamaof3boys, Aug 29, 2014.

1. piratemamaof3boys

piratemamaof3boys Active Member

[size=+2]NOW CLOSED[/size]

It's that time of year again. Holiday grand plan is starting up, the summer season is coming to a end and the holidays will soon be upon us. I will be running the annual card exchange again this year. I am not on here as much with work keeping me busy but I will reply to you message as soon as possible.

:merrychristmas:

Now for the boring stuff... the rules..

If you are interested here are the details:

This will stay open until Oct 31 (FIRM) so I can get the list together and sent out to everyone the first week of November. You will need to have your card in the mail no later than the first week of December. We need to make sure everyone gets them in time for Christmas. Remember some are to go out of the states so please be sure they are sent out a earlier and with the proper postage.

What do I need? Please inbox me with:

* your screen name
    * your real name
    * your mailing address (** see note at bottom for details)
    * email address where you want the list be sent

What are the rules?
    * the cards can be handmade, bought, what ever works for you
    * be sure to send one to everyone on the list
    * do not sign up if you do not intend to follow through
    * Communication is key. We all know holidays and times are tough, if things come up and if you, at any time, have to pull out, let me know.
    * I will update on this thread the names of anyone that has signed up. If you don't see your name, please inbox me.
    *you must be a MHH member in good standing. I know not everyone that signs up for the exchange post through out the year but if you have joined us before and have followed through, you are welcome to join in the fun again.

Have fun.

**Mail address details
    Please send it to me in a line format so that we can copy and paste, esp foreign addresses b/c they are written differently than we do in the states.
    Please don't send it like this:
    christmaspirate, Jane Doe 123 NW ave Richmond, Virginia 23232

instead do:
    Christmaspirate
    Jane Doe
    123 NW Ave
    Richmond, VA 23232

List as of 10/22
    Annie Clause
    Ahorsesoul
    MrsSoup
    MinnieCo
    halimer
    Aggy
    Lana
    Sweetpumpkinpye
    MissJane
    Sugarplum
    hollybow
    Snowlve
    Wintersmomma
    Little Elf
    Colleen in Pa
    Doodlebug
    PamSpaur
    tanya
    Princess_Christmas
    Jenniferdwn
    Easglesax
    DebbiGall
    goodpace
    LadyEvnStar
    Piratemamaof3boys
    ________________25

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. AnnieClaus

AnnieClaus Active Member

I'm in!

PMing now!

Thanks for hosting, piratemamaof3boys!

Let's have an awesome exchange this year, everyone!

:)

Annie

3. happy2bme

happy2bme Well-Known Member

I am sorry to have this years's exchange start off on a negative note, but I have a few things I would like to say.

I, for one, will NOT be joining this year's exchange and here is why:

I have listened to a lot of people talk about the mail delays last year and I guess things are worse than we thought because as of today, August 29, 2014, I have still not received cards from 6 people. We had approximately 30 people last year, which would mean that I didn't receive cards from 20% of the people who signed up for the exchange.

I would have expected this from the trolls who showed up last year, posted their minimum 25 posts and then were able to sign up for the exchange, but unfortuneatly, it happened with so called "members in good standing".

I am sorry if you looked at my address in Canada and decided that you didn't want to pay the extra postage to mail me your card. For me, more than 80% of the people on the exchange list live outside of my home country which means I have to pay a lot of postage. I include this in my Christmas budget because signing up for the Christmas Card exchange is part of my Christmas celebration and also because IT IS THE RULES.

You don't get to pick and choose who you want to send a card to based on where the person lives and how much the postage would cost.

IF YOU SIGN UP FOR THE EXCHANGE YOU SEND A CARD TO EVERYONE ON THE LIST.

Best wishes for a successful exchange.

4. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

I'm sent you my info.

5. piratemamaof3boys

Mel you are correct there were a lot of things that happened last year. Some didn't send and other sent and who knows where their cards disappeared to. Then some mailed some of their cards but not all (and it wasn't based on location, I think they just forgot). That is why I made a few changes to the exchange. It even harder for you and those that are out of stated and the majority of your cards are extra in postage. I was missing cards from a few people that mailed to some on the list and for some reason didn't get it out to everyone. We will miss you but I understand your reasons.

6. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

I had the same problem as Mel last year, I think I didn't receive at least 7 and some of those were also from members that we "know" well.

However, I will be in again this year and hope that it turns out better.

7. Little Elf

Little Elf New Member

Yes, Mel I quite agree with you. Being in Canada most of the cards were sent out of the country but we still sent cards out to everyone. :) Unfortunately though there were quite a few I didn't receive and some I received were sent out in January from the postmark on the envelopes. I will have to think about whether or not I will participate this year. Hey Mel! I'd still love to send you a Christmas card though! :D

8. MinnieCo

MinnieCo Well-Known Member

I'm excited...I'll PM now

9. aggy

aggy Santa's Elves

Definitely count me in. I love sending and receiving Christmas cards.

Mel I truly understand how you feel. To be honest I don't even know if I received cards from everyone on the list. I didn't keep track. There were about three that I receieved late (one which gotten a little damaged in it's travels).

I always put my cards in the mail on Dec. 1st because I know some are mailed to other countries and I would like for folks to get my card before the big day. I hope noone missed getting a card from me. If so please let me know.

10. AnnieClaus

AnnieClaus Active Member

I wish this would go without saying- if you sign up for this, it is a commitment that you follow through on!

Schedule your time and your $$!!

If something comes up- let Shannon know (like she said) so she can let us know.

We are understanding and loving, but please let us know.

Annie

11. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

I am in and I love the exchange! I send all my cards out for this exchange, family and friends on December 7th. I check my list several times to be sure I have everybody on the list. I also do not keep track if I get from all but I know I received a few after the holidays last year.

Mel, will miss you but like others I understand!

12. ejagno

ejagno Well-Known Member

Wow, after the first post it's no surprise that not many are wanting to participate but like others have said it's the spirit of giving, not receiving. Mel, I'm sorry that this has left a sour taste for doing any of the exchanges. I'm sure they signed up with the spirit of Christmas and joy in their hearts but sometimes LIFE gets in the way of best intentions.

I would love to join in and will PM my information immediately.

13. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

OK I am in.

Now there are three things I would like to say.

EVERY card i write will have overseas postage either to the US or Canada. I am happy to do this as I have considered the cost, and have budgeted for this.

The other thing is, I will need to send cards early/mid November to make sure they get there in time. I promise to send a card to everyone on the list, please be patient because postage will take time from Australia at this time of year.

Third thing, I have never participated in an exchange before and I hope that my expectations met.. I hope that everyone who participates does it in the spirit of love, friendship and the season.

Bring on the exchange.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  14. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

After so many said last year they didn't receive cards, I checked my list. I did get cards from everyone. I think 3 or 4 came after the holidays, but non from out of the US. I love getting the cards, so I'm in. My family really likes to see them and hear about everyone.

I do understand about the ones who choose not to do it, though.

The first year I did it, my card to Debbie in NY was sent back to me...guess I did the address wrong, but I had already thrown away my list and deleted Shannon's email to me, so no way to get it back out to her. I don't even know if she ever realized she didn't get one from me. I felt really badly about it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  15. Sugarplum

Sugarplum Well-Known Member

Last year was my first year doing the exchange and I thoroughly enjoyed doing it. I don't have a ton of family and friends to send cards to so this just added to my joy of the holiday season. I actually looked forward to sending cards out of the country, and looked forward to receiving them too. How fun to get mail from a different part of the world!

I too was surprised at how many cards were not received. I would be mortified if my cards didn't arrive and would hope that people would let me know. I will be mailing everything earlier this year, even my packages due to last year's delays.

Anyway, I will be joining again this year.

16. piratemamaof3boys

Believe me I was disappointed in how some things went last year a few were a bad call on my side others were out of my hand. I did try to contact everyone who's card were not received. If things go bad this year I will no long host and hope someone else will have better luck than me.
    On that note I am looking forward to this year and am excited for those that have already signed up. I have not had time to reply to any one from my inbox yet but I will. Keep an eye out b/c I will reply that I received your info and possibly will need follow up info from you. Hang in there.

17. sweetpumkinpye

Thanks for hosting Shannon. It is certainly a lot for you to take on. I can only hope that everyone participates with enthusiasm and consideration for all.

18. hollybow

hollybow Member

I love the card exchange and, because the cards are all oversea cards for me, this is a cost factor I take into account and know in advance ..cards and stamps.. so a bit of financial planning ahead here..but I love heading to the shops to get extra nice cards, sit down to write them and send off jolly greetings around the world...and of course receiving them...each one is greeted with joy and proudly displayed in my hall ..I do not keep track... but from what I have read it was a rough year last year at the postal service... with a lot of delayed or missing cards... I even received cards in february... hopefully it will be better this year..
    Fingers crossed for a jolly exchange..

19. sweetpumkinpye

Hollybow, where are you living?

20. hollybow

hollybow Member

Sweetpumpkinpie ... I live in the Netherlands / Europe...and mail that goes outside Europe is considered ROW...rest of the world...