2016 - HHP - Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This week will be a short work week since we are taking a four day holiday weekend. My goal is to get the following done by Wednesday evening.

Household
  • Declutter and clean the home office or paper handling area. - Will go through drawers and toss papers and file other papers; Write out bills too. Almost Done

Holiday
  • Set up a Christmas notebook. - Will write things in binder and then transfer what is necessary to the computer and sync with phone. Done
  • Focus family values. - Write out values goal. Done
  • Create a Christmas activity center. - I have an old picnic basket that I stored my binder and Christmas cards in. It hid my work when I wasn’t using it and yet was convenient to get to. It’s next to the sofa. Done It's been organized.
  • Establish a holiday budget. - Set up time to discuss with my husband. Done
  • Begin a Master Gift List. - I used Google Sheets successfully last year. It helped when I was out shopping and had a question on a gift. I was able to access it from my phone. I want to copy the 2015 list to a new sheet, rename it, and then make the necessary changes. My children have changed schools this year so I will have to reassess the teacher gifts and how these schools handle gift giving. Done

What are your goals this week?

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
First day of HHP 2016 - I am so excited!!

I have to make my list of tasks for the week and then I will post what they are.

:elf:

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Thanks for getting us started HolidayMom. Since Friday I've made huge progress on getting my desk and DH's desk's cleared, cleaned and organized as far as the desk tops go. Everything was buried under lots of construction and sheetrock dust. Now I have clear and clean surfaces to work on. I also cleaned and organized the shelves above my desk so that I would have room for my binder filing system once it's all put together.

***I did realize that our desks aren't big enough for such a large project so right now I'm clearing and cleaning my large dining room table so that I can work on all of these binders on one solid surface.

Today I'm going throughout the whole house gathering, sorting, purging, organizing and trying to get everything back into binders. I've labeled my binders and as I find things I'm simply laying them on top of the binders they belong to.

Monday: I will do my FIL's desk tomorrow and get his bills paid. He still has every tax return dating back to the 1940's but would not toss a single one if his life depended on it so all I can do is just keep it as organized and tidy as possible.

Tuesday: I will make my index dividers for each binder as needed for the items to be easily accessible. For instance in the Vehicle binder I have a divider for my SUV, DH's truck, RV, 4-Wheeler, Cargo Trailer, etc.....anything with wheels on it. I detest going through 47 sheet protectors to find the user manual for the Dometic Refrigerator in the camper when it's so much easier to have a divider in the RV binder that says Refrigerator. Hopefully today I can finish all the binders and put them in their new home.

Wednesday: As I'm going through mounds of paperwork I'm finding scratch paper, envelopes and tons of sticky notes with phone numbers and addresses that need to be added to my digital and physical address books. Sorry, I still have yet to trust digital 100% so I continue to keep a physical means of accessing important information as well. This is the day I've reserved for getting all of these scraps of paper entered where it needs to be and tossed.

Thursday: Holiday Planner focus. I've found that too much of a good thing isn't always good. There are parts that I included over the years that no longer apply to our home today. It's time to give it a make-over and I'm really looking forward to this.

Friday: Tackle the cabinets in both offices. We've combined two businesses with two fully stocked home offices and I can say with certainty that most of these supplies will outlast us so it's time to donate all of this excess and be done with it.

Saturday: Final clean, wipe down and decorate all of our office areas to promote a good work environment.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Feeling Terrific, I made great strides today in my home office, as well as a few other areas that needed attention. And it's only 2:30, I have the rest of the day to finish up a few more of the to do items for this week. Love this plan, it keeps me focused in the right direction. Enjoy Ladies!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My list for the week:

Household Checklist:
declutter/reorganize file cabinet - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
set up Christmas notebook - done
set up notebook for purse - done
write out budget - done
begin Master Gift list - done

Last edited:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
For me this week:

Re- Sort/ shred old paperwork- extra big job as for some reason I skipped this task last year.
Put all manuals (fridge, computers etc... all in the ONE place)
De- clutter desk area
Throw away pens etc... that are not working

Purchase new supplies- pens, markers etc.
Remind DS AGAIN not to borrow my items permanently- if he needs them then put it on the shopping list and I will get them.

Update Christmas Planner- file last years and get it out of the way- after taking notes from it.
Check progress of gift items
Start new laybye- think you gals call this lay away.

Make final list of Craft gifts- I know this is for next week I think but I want to get ahead in this area as I ALWAYS fall off track.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This where i get stuck doing these plans.
I want to do the planning part, writing lists, checking budgets etc but my paperwork won't be done until I get to my study area in about 3 weeks time.
I think I will just follow along with you gals and do what I can along side you each week. Eventually we will be on the same page.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Everyone's plans are so motivating! I love reading and getting ideas.

Since we are in an apartment until mid October, then moving into our house I haven't decided how I'll tweak the plan. Except that I did bring my home management journal and Christmas notebook with me. I can set up those two for this year.

___ Need new take out menus from restaurants here
___ change school information, passwords for their programs etc
___ place an address section in HM journal -

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Hello fellow HHP ladies!

Yesterday was a busy day for me with church activities and my daughters travel softball double header scrimmage, so I actually cheated a bit and started on Saturday. One of my goals this year is to stick with the weekly assignments and not get too far ahead of myself in the beginning, as it tends to lead to burn out for me later.

What is done:
Planner (I use a three ring binder) is printed, organized and ready to go
Budget is planned out
Values worksheet is completed
Gift Closet inventory is sorted and recorded on sheet
4 freezer meals are complete (I found a great deal on ground beef so I had a marathon session on Saturday and made and froze taco meat, meatballs, sloppy joes, and baked ziti)

Here is what I have to do:
Monday - I am not planning anything as I have a late night at work
Tuesday - Organize and sort through 2 desk drawers
Wednesday - Organize desk top and break out the Christmas pens and stationary
Thursday - Create master pantry list/menu and baking planning (I love this day!)
Friday - Dusting and vacuuming of office, including blinds

Good luck ladies, and I am looking forward to being inspired by all of your creativity!

Kelly

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
My desk area at home needs some tidying up. I've let mail pile up on it, mostly junk mail. I also need to gather up my recipes and put them into notebooks. They all over my dining room table.

My holiday planner is nearly done and I have my lists typed and printed.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi everyone ~
I'm back! *HUGS* to all of you! I have missed you! I've been thinking about this ramp up but have lots of chaos going on here with a new teen girl we are bringing into the family. Remember my DD16 tends to bring home lost puppies? Well this is a particularly in-need lost puppy and we have known her for years and adore her. Rough family life so we are trying to give her a stable home. SO... we are in the middle of that.

Meanwhile -- my desk is completely covered with organized piles of things that need to be dealt with so thank goodness it is paperwork week!

This week's goals:
Sit down at the desk every day for 30 min and start busting through it.
Christmas recipes organized.
Master gift list -- get it started.
Schedule time with Apple to do a data transfer for the computer that crashed months ago.
Back to school -- medical papers finished up for kids.

Will ponder this some more and add some more as my holiday brain comes together. :)

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Cindylouwho,

I am so happy to see you! The HHP Plan wouldn't be the same without you!

purplecrush

Premiere Member
Wow! It's been such a long time that I have been here...last Christmas season :/

Anywho, I love everybody's motivation! I usually do this plan every year...but I'm not really sure what to do. We just bought a new house. It's super clean still ( as we haven't been here a month yet) and I've gotten everything organized!

I do have to get my notebook together, and I'm sure there will be some things I have to do...but I'm good on the cleaning (so far) and that's usually the part I slack on yearly lol

So excited to be back!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It's great to see everyone here this year. Today is my day to get through the list. I need some motivation and reading your lists has helped! I'll be back to post updates.

Ellen - I'm with you on trusting everything to 100% digital. It's a love/hate relationship. ;-) Anything that would make me sick to my stomach if I lost it on the computer gets a hard copy as does anything that really makes my life easier. On the other hand, I use the same idea for hard copies. If it's an original and I'd feel sick if it got lost or damaged, I like to put in on the computer.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I ran out of time to finish this weeks list. We are leaving tomorrow for a long weekend. I will have to work on filing the rest of the papers next week.

Keep up the good work, ladies!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Randee, There is still lots to do by way of freezer meals, value worksheets, getting all of the year to date tax information ready for filing, Master gift lists, budgets, Christmas craft projects, etc........

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
How is everyone doing this week?

I have managed to get a fair bit done in between all of the canning I have been doing.

I have our budget set - I reduced it by $200, so I am happy about that. I have the little notebook that I keep in my purse up to date and ready when I need it.

Tomorrow I will be working on the file cabinet. I took a quick look and it definitely needs some love.