2018 Christmas Countdown Week 1 - Get Organized

Discussion in 'Christmas Countdown' started by Holiday_Mom, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

I always know Christmas is closer than I think when I get the Week 1 email of Christmas Countdown. I do HHP but I like to use this Countdown as a gage as to what I need to start focusing on if I didn't already.

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/christmas-countdown/get-organized-week

This week I need to be realistic with the Holiday Spruce Up List. Four weeks from now is Thanksgiving week. :eek:

Minta likes this.
  2. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

Yikes! The countdown started? The wedding really has me off focus. I need to get organized!

Minta and Holiday_Mom like this.
  3. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Today I want to work on handmade ornaments for gifts for friends. Also want to put the gifts I already have in bags and boxes and store them elsewhere as my gift close is just too full and can't see anything. Also have a few more sstuffers to wrap

4. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

Good gravy!!! It's here already! Feeling pretty good about where I am prep wise from following HGP...but will follow along with CC threads too for sure!

5. horsemama

horsemama Member

I'd like to join in, if that's ok. I've been doing some purging, and I need to stop and get the house back in order for the holidays. I can't wait to get a tree up! :)

Minta, Holiday_Mom and AuntJamelle like this.
  6. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member

:eek: ACK :eek:!!!! Nope can't be ..so not ready. Between the garage and unexpected house guest I am so behind on everything. I have a few days off from work before Thanksgiving so I will be using that time including an hour or 2 each night very wisely and try to get as much done as possible.

Holiday_Mom and AuntJamelle like this.
  7. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

It looks like this is the point I'm at. Between football, football, and more football this year, neither of the other plans have happened for me. I'll just have to stay focused and get things done! I printed out the master gift list just now.

Holiday_Mom and Minta like this.
  8. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

So in the spirit of the CC I was spending a little time perusing this gem of an article about smart scheduling:

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/...r-power-smart-scheduling-stress-free-holidays

Several good ideas here!

Personally, I can add another big one - the SCHOOL CALENDAR! And if you have little ones in an after school program - does their holiday schedule match your school's? Mine doesn't - different districts - lucky me :)

So I have been spending some quality time with all sorts of calendars and dates - trying to figure out where my kid is going to be when :eek:

Definitely better to have started thinking about this now!

What else can you guys think of? What sneaks up on you every year and says "Wham! Remember me? I made you FREAK out last year? Good to see you again! This is nice...good times..."

Minta likes this.
  9. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member

AJ .. Our school mails home a calendar with days off and early dismissals already marked. I highlight the days off in once color, early dismissals in another color, write in other dates/events like school concerts, dances and highlight them in another color and have it hanging up. Easy to glance at. Kids pencil in days they stay after school for clubs by writing the club name and time they get done.

AuntJamelle likes this.
  10. Cindylouwho

Cindylouwho Well-Known Member

Agh! The Countdown started?! How did that happen so fast! Alright -- time to focus. I use it as my backup plan too -- to make sure I'm on track for HHP. Need to start pulling the trigger on the gifts!

Minta and AuntJamelle like this.
  11. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

I save my planners every year. When I get my new one, I look through the previous year's planner and pencil in the events that happen every year with the corresponding time for the current year (community and school events that are traditional, dgs's ball seasons). This gives me sort of a heads up about it when it happened the previous year for when I start planning for that year. I can erase and change as I need to since I do it in pencil.

Minta and AuntJamelle like this.
  12. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

Our girls are involved with the music programs at their school so there are extra rehearsals and then then several concerts in December. I try to get those dates ASAP in September and put them on our kitchen calendar and then my Google Calendar. We also tend to have dental exams and orthodontist visits in December.

A few years back, I realized that we had to schedule a time and snow date to get the tree, go "one on one" shopping, and bake cookies. I never thought I'd have to do that but with some of music programs happening on the weekend too, we had to figure out when we'd get these things done

Last year one of my daughters had a last minute invitation to perform on a Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. She knew if she said yes to the performance, then she could potentially miss out on the scheduled family activity due to snow dates. It was her decision to make, with no hard feelings.

sweetpumkinpye, AuntJamelle and Minta like this.