2020 Christmas In July Week 2 5th-11

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
I think we will be having some changes to deal with this Christmas and I'm not looking forward to them. Our two girls live out of state and usually fly in for a week, my advice will to be safe and not travel but they don't always like Mom's worried thinking. My son and his family live close with our grandchildren so I'm sure we'll be doing Christmas with them as normal as we can. Shopping is done mostly online (so grateful for that). It will be sad not to be able to attend Christmas Eve service. All this is so sad to plan for :(

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think that we all have plenty of time to come up with new ideas for an alternative if needed.
I have created a Christmas countdown and will be using that as ideas for activities.

1. Start advent calendar.
2. Donate to a charity.
3. Cheese plate and crackers for dinner.
4. Family movie.
5. Decorate the tree.
6. Sing a carol or 2.
7. Stamp and send Christmas cards.
8. Write to Santa.
9. Read a Christmas book.
10. Bake biscuits.
11. Eat a candy cane.
12. Order pizza, tell some stories of Christmases past.
13. Wrap presents.
14. Listen to music.
15. Play a game.
16. Milkshakes for dinner.
17. Cuddle a dog, go for a walk.
18. Dinner outside.
19. Open Christmas cards.
20. Sit and watch the tree lights and chat.
21. Walk (drive) and look at lights.
22.Make cold hot chocolate.
23.Family photo in front of tree.
24. Christmas Eve basket.*
25. Merry Christmas

* Our Christmas Eve basket is something that we have done since the kids were very little and it has evolved over the years. It used to contain pj's and a new toothbrush and a Christmas video to watch. It now contains small bottles of Coke or Pepsi, savory crackers, lollies, popcorn, chips and a list of topics as conversation starters. (What is your best Christmas memory, what was your favourtie gift etc) We watch a movie or a show and just enjoy each others company.

None of the ideas above call for anything difficult, most items I already have around the house and the rest I think I can easily source between now and Christmas.
It is a little different for us here as it is hot so that is why we will have milkshakes etc.

I am thinking of getting a Christmas jigsaw from EBay so that we can work on that through December. I have already bought a colouring book and pencils and will work on that. DS is in charge of picking the movies.
Anyway, just a few thoughts of what we are doing here to make December a little more enjoyable.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Katrina, I love the countdown to Christmas idea. Yesterday, I made DH promise to be my Christmas buddy. I enjoy getting ready but it gets lonely sometimes. He said he would be a little more helpful.

Today we planned out where and how we will do our outdoor decor. We are going to repaint the nativity he made years ago. One piece has to be remade and he will reverse the direction so it will fit better. I need to get some paint here so I can get it started. This excites me.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
I think that we all have plenty of time to come up with new ideas for an alternative if needed.
I have created a Christmas countdown and will be using that as ideas for activities.

2. Donate to a charity.
4. Family movie.
5. Decorate the tree.
6. Sing a carol or 2.
8. Write to Santa.
10. Bake biscuits.
11. Eat a candy cane.
13. Wrap presents.
14. Listen to music.
15. Play a game.
18. Dinner outside.
25. Merry Christmas

* Our Christmas Eve basket is something that we have done since the kids were very little and it has evolved over the years. It used to contain pj's and a new toothbrush and a Christmas video to watch. It now contains small bottles of Coke or Pepsi, savory crackers, lollies, popcorn, chips and a list of topics as conversation starters. (What is your best Christmas memory, what was your favourtie gift etc) We watch a movie or a show and just enjoy each others company.

None of the ideas above call for anything difficult, most items I already have around the house and the rest I think I can easily source between now and Christmas.
It is a little different for us here as it is hot so that is why we will have milkshakes etc.

I am thinking of getting a Christmas jigsaw from EBay so that we can work on that through December. I have already bought a colouring book and pencils and will work on that. DS is in charge of picking the movies.
Anyway, just a few thoughts of what we are doing here to make December a little more enjoyable.
Brilliant ideas! You have some lovely stuff in mind.
I was thinking of buying a Christmassy puzzle too !

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio

2. Donate to a charity.
4. Family movie.
5. Decorate the tree.
6. Sing a carol or 2.
8. Write to Santa.
10. Bake biscuits.
11. Eat a candy cane.
13. Wrap presents.
14. Listen to music.
15. Play a game.
18. Dinner outside.
25. Merry Christmas

Love the idea!!! The milkshakes for dinner would be a hit even if it was 20 below zero here. I think I need to come up with some type of list for husband and my self. Dinner out side on the porch in candle light and Christmas lights might been fun if it’s not bitter cold out! Things to think about....

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
If you haven't looked at MyMerryChristmas.com lately, Jeff Westover has a thoughtful article there. He compares the time of Spanish flu with Coronavirus of 2020.

Jody can you share the link to the forum or article please

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO

2. Donate to a charity.
4. Family movie.
5. Decorate the tree.
6. Sing a carol or 2.
8. Write to Santa.
10. Bake biscuits.
11. Eat a candy cane.
13. Wrap presents.
14. Listen to music.
15. Play a game.
18. Dinner outside.
25. Merry Christmas

Great ideas. Love all the ideas in this thread. We knew last year Christmas would probably be different this year. But wasn't thinking it would possibly be different globally.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
oh! hadn't thought of the Macy's parade... was thinking it's the 1st time I will be able to watchi it as I am tele-working... duh... with coronavirus it might be cancelled.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada

2. Donate to a charity.
4. Family movie.
5. Decorate the tree.
6. Sing a carol or 2.
8. Write to Santa.
10. Bake biscuits.
11. Eat a candy cane.
13. Wrap presents.
14. Listen to music.
15. Play a game.
18. Dinner outside.
25. Merry Christmas

I LOVE your countdown ideas!!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I think my family would appreciate this kind of countdown this year. I've got 4 college students heading home at the end of November so they will be here for all of December. Milkshakes for dinner in the winter sounds fun. I think we could get away with Eggnog flavored and Candy Cane flavored ice cream.

Katrina, I love the countdown to Christmas idea. Yesterday, I made DH promise to be my Christmas buddy. I enjoy getting ready but it gets lonely sometimes. He said he would be a little more helpful.
You know, I think you made a good point here.I think that having a "buddy" to help shoulder the twinge of sadness in how different the 2020 Christmas season may be will be helpful.

I gave some more thought on when to do the Organized Christmas plans this year. If the cases continue to rise, I am anticipating that there will be more online learning earlier than what the schools were expecting. If that does happen, I won't have the freedom to put on Christmas movies and wrap early/write out Christmas cards, etc. in October without a bit of :rolleyes: from the family. I usually had an hour to myself during the weekday where I could get to Christmas wrapping and card writing in the family room. The only free space is my bedroom which is so tight to begin with but it will have to do for wrapping. I have a Christmas basket for wrapping supplies and one for Christmas card supplies. I'll make up another basket that has a scented candle, hot chocolate, a Christmas tea blend, and a Christmas mug. I'll line up some Christmas movies and podcasts on the laptop that I can listen to while wrapping.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Miss JoDee said:
July 5-11, 2020

Covid Christmas
Will you change your Christmas plans this year in view of Covid-19?
Probably. It depends on so many factors. covid status, if I'm working and could have been exposed, who will be at the gathering and their exposure, H's status from being at school....

Will there be a Plan A and Plan B or even a Plan C? I've really just been going with the flow. I will have the usual meals and events that happen within my home. We will see if I go elsewhere. I guess plan b would be having the parents over individually.

Will you create new traditions centered around at home activities? Probably not.

What Christmas tradition must be kept no matter what? Christmas Eve dinner and opening gifts in the morning, baking, doing a gingerbread house, sending cards.

What are you willing to give up this Christmas? Going visiting

What can you do to make a sheltered at home Christmas stand out? Not sure yet. We all enjoy being home, so it will just be more home time.

Will you shop Black Friday? Or will it be Cyber Monday all the way? I'm not usually a Black Friday shopper and I will do some cyber Monday if there's something I need. I generally just shop bargains.

Will you clean less because your house is in order for all the stay at home time you have had this year? Or will you follow one of the organized Christmas plans. If you follow a plan will it be easier because of all you accomplish during isolation.

I'm pretty crazy with my house cleaning, so it will be the usual routines.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I held off all week to respond to this week's questions - wanted Vic and Sophia's surveys to be in and needed some time to really think things through. Our Christmas celebration will be dependent on the COVID status in December and whether Vic can come home or not. Unless things take a real nosedive in our country/world, at least Sophia will be here for Christmas.

First of all, I totally bought into the article I read earlier this year "People Who Decorate for Christmas Early are Happier", if you Google it, there are a lot of articles about it. Absolutely! I love to have the house decorated for Christmas so I will be doing this the weekend of October 31-November 1. I decorate for fall starting in September so those decorations will stay up in the dining room and on the coffee table and end tables but the trees will go up and I'll work (most likely alone) on getting them decorated. You can count on my Chit Chat posts saying "Work, Decorate, Sleep", for quite a few days! Slowly, fall will transition to Christmas. I think if, worst case scenario, Vic cannot come home for Christmas, he'll at least be able to enjoy the festive backdrop when we FaceTime.

I'd say there's a pretty even split between in the house and outside the house holiday activities. If the outside activities - Black Friday shopping, craft fairs, City Sidewalks, holiday trip to the cinema, mall visit, and Christmas Eve church service - can't take place, it will be sad but we'll be fine. We have plenty of in the house activities planned - cookie baking, gingerbread house, themed movie nights, games, and afternoon tea - and we can drive to see the outdoor lights without getting out of the car.

I anticipate most of my shopping being online and I think I will look to order earlier this year to avoid not being able to find something or delays in delivery. That includes some food shopping from the British Food Stores online and even Target groceries which have free delivery with my Red Card and comparable prices on many items.

It's just the three of us, we haven't had Christmas with my sister and BIL and two nephews since my Dad's last Christmas in 2008. They live where travel can be treacherous in the winter so better we all stay put. I did budget for a big splurge LEGO set for them; they rekindled their love of LEGO during the lock-down so I found a set that I think will make them all smile and have a lot of fun. There won't be an afternoon tea/ornament exchange with my girlfriends or a holiday open house if we are in some sort of lock-down. If Vic is home, we will have afternoon tea at home - last year's at a local tea room was a disappointment and Vic prefers the ones that I put together anyway, and it's a whole lot less expensive too.

Our family Christmas card will once again be a collage of separate photos of the three (four, can't forget the furry member of the family) of us and I order those online and they come with the envelopes addressed and stamps so only one trip to the Post Office to determine the weight for the ones that go overseas.

Cleaning? Well, I plan to attempt one of the plans this year but we'll see how it goes. It's pretty clean around here with just me and if Sophia and Spectra and Vic are home, everyone helps to keep things decluttered and we all clean together.

What am I willing to give up? Honestly, I'd give up everything to have Vic home but it's beyond my control so I have to work with what I have and make the best of it. There are a lot of people who have unwillingly given up much this year and I am grateful that we both have good jobs, good health, warm homes, food on the table, and the knowledge that this too shall pass. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade...or eggnog...or wassail!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Pamela - what LEGO did you get for the family? The year before last DS DDIL and I did the VW bus on Christmas day and DS had always gotten a LEGO for Christmas.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Pamela - what LEGO did you get for the family? The year before last DS DDIL and I did the VW bus on Christmas day and DS had always gotten a LEGO for Christmas.
It's Old Trafford, the home of Manchester United Football Club. It has 3898 pieces, should keep them busy! Sophia has been hinting for the Taj Mahal - 5923 pieces - but it's out of stock and I don't know if it will be available again. I also don't know if I could bring myself to pay $300+!

Reactions: luludou