90th Birthday Gift Ideas Needed

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Hello!

I'm invited to my great aunt's 90th birthday party on Friday evening. I have NO idea what to buy her. She lives part time in a nursing home and part time with her daughter. She is recently widowed. I thought of knitting her a prayer blanket, but my knitting skills have faded. Any ideas to share? I mentioned a gc for her hair and my mom snatched that idea away.....so....

Thanks!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Does she have a favorite store like Kohls or Target? Gift cards are always welcomed there. Her situation seems to call for gifts that are consumable. My 87 year old mom likes word searches and things that will help keep her mind sharp. What about a picture of your family in a frame that she can keep at the nursing home, or a game she could play with other residents? I really do like your idea of a prayer shawl. Do you know anyone that could make it for you or could you promise her one asking her for her favorite color.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I do believe that most nursing home rooms would be quite small so a gift that does not take up too much room would be needed.
I like the prayer shawl idea too!
I am thinking that she will be inundated with gifts this weekend. Why not promise her something to use down the track a bit. It could be an IOU for an experience like a mani/pedi and lunch, or a movie and lunch or dinner with your family, or an evening with the family to look at Christmas lights in the neighbourhood. Something that she wouldn't normally get a chance to do and to get her out of her nursing home for an while might be well received.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
What about a magazine subscription? Something like Reader's Digest. I think you can get it in a large print version.
I like the prayer shawl idea.
I bought my grandmother one of the electric lap blankets. She used it all the time in the winter when she was watching television. You might do that with some nice lotion and socks.
Does she have a scarf, gloves, and a hat?
Another idea might be a nice silk camisole from somewhere like Winter Silks. Many elderly people who are on blood pressure meds, blood thinners, heart meds, etc. have a hard time staying warm in the winter.
Flannel sheets for her bed
Flannel gown or pajamas
A nice robe

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
A lap blanket or prayer shawl is a great idea. How about a book? Or some music? Usually a new pj is well appreciated too or a vest. Slippers. Yarn & needles, puzzles

My mil will be 90 on December 31st but not one of these ideas would be good for her. she just doesn't like anything or do anything. the only thing she likes is going out to a restaurant or dh and his sisters give her money (which she gives back to us in gifts)... pfff! She doesn't read, listen to music, watch tv, knit, do puzzles, doesn't wear the new clothes we buy, etc..... not easy to buy for! I let dh deal with her gifts. So different from my mom (I know she is younger) but still she has interests. MIL never had interests except bingo.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
How about a nightlamp? or a flashlight that you plug in and lights up when there is no electricity?

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Lucie, get her a gift bag filed with all the different coloured bingo markers you can find- we call them dabbers here ad they come in lots and lots of different colours. Not sure how bingo is played over there but here many older people play bingo.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Does she have a favorite snack? Maybe flowers or plant for the room. Does she have a place she gets her medication? Maybe a GC cor there. Does the nursing home have a salon that cost extra? Maybe pay down a hair cut there.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Is there a local bakery that delivers? If so maybe you could make arrangements to have something small delivered to her on a few select days and present her a small calendar with the days of delivery marked off. You both could do GC for hair or maybe get her a GC for her to get her nails done.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, I like the idea of getting things delivered by the bakery. A small treat every week or so might be very much appreciated.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I like the idea of the bakery items, too.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Thanks for the ideas! They are all great. I ordered her an electric heated wrap and will pick up some socks and foot cream for her, too.

I appreciate it!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sounds like a perfect gift Lisa. I hope that your Aunty has a great day.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Depending on where the plugs are in her room and how long the cord is, you may consider getting her an extension cord to go with it.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
The wrap is a great idea. As are the creams and socks. My mom would have liked that in her later years. When you hit that age it really is the small things she seemed to like. The things that made her feel pampered. :)