Any beaders here? Need a little help...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I'm sure this is easier than I am making it; but I have been searching and searching and can't find anything like what I am trying to do.

I am making little bead ornaments for the mini trees I bought. I am not much of a beader, have only done very small projects with my daughter and/or her brownie troop back when I was the leader. Nothing more complicated than stringing necklaces or bracelets.

What I want is to just use fishing line with a loop at the top to hang and a little bead at the bottom above the knot to stop them from falling off. Really simple, right? LOL, knot, tiny bead, a little larger bead and another tiny bead and then just a loop from the fishing line to hang the ornament with. The trees are 12 and 18 inches so anything more than just these little beads is too much.

I have the bottom part figured out, I know how to stop the bottom, but how do I stop it at the top and keep just a fishing line loop to hang over the tiny branches. Just tie a knot in the loopy part or is there a way that looks better?

I hope this makes sense. ;)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I made reallysimple ornaments last year with a wine cork and some beads. the top part was a ribbon (instead of fishing line). I had to string it through a button to keep it in place and then tie a knot. don't know if it's what you're looking for. there are also metal beads that are sold which you crunch at the right place.
You can look at my ornaments on my blog to see what I mean.
Hope it helps.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Thanks, Lucie. I am going to look right now. :D I always love to see homemade ornaments!

I did get it to work out by wrapping around the top and bottom beads and just sticking a pen in to hold the loop for hanging until I could get the wrapping done and the knots tied. I think it will be ok. I read somewhere to put some nail polish on the knots to make sure they will hold and I better do that because it does look like they loosened up a bit.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nail polish is a great idea! Hope it all works out :) Have fun making your ornaments!