Back to Routine....Wednesday, January 2nd, 2019

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lana, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Good A.M.!

2. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

With the holidays past time to try to think of normal again. Is there a normal?

Went to my sisters and it was basically my side. 1 other couple there, then sisters boys and families, us 4, mom and younger sister and family. I ran to Wal-Mart for soap and conditioner and spent $60. Got home looked at the tape and an item I thought was $5 rang for 15. When home I put away drained dishes and did 2 loads of clothes. About 9:30 I called mom and she went back with me and we got home about midnight. Spent $89 that time. BUT...have my 2 nieces done, 3 great nieces, few items for Jaymee and some items for Teigans poster or stocking. Also got some Christmas books with activities and reading ones. I am a sucker for books. Everything 75% off. The majority of items I got for the girls were 4.88 down to 1.22. And 9.88 to 2.47 I think. I say I am done with them but the problem is I will think gee I didn't spend alot so lets get more--

Jessica, cool to see the whale. Jar is a nice ideal.

Lisa, poor H--adulthood.

HW2, does CB have alot of Christmas left to sale?

It is after 7 so better move along.

Diedra, don't know why DH couldn't sleep.

Pam, did you get to go out for lunch ever?

Didn't write down so I know I forgot to mention some---sorry.

Everybody have a GREAT day!

3. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Happy New Year MHH friends,

Back to work today after a week and a half off, thank goodness it's only a three day week this week! Lovely Christmas with Vic and Sophia, much too short. We did all our usual Christmasy things, shopping at Target and Barnes and Noble, a holiday movie (Mary Poppins Returns), Christmas Eve service, lazy pajama day on Christmas Day, and just enjoying being together. Vic and I came back to the apartment for a couple of days - still no couch, grrr - before he left for Virginia. Ugh, it's going to be a few months before he's back this way, that's going to be tough. Never mind, I'll have work to keep me busy. I hope you all had a lovely holiday.

4. Lori K

Lori K Member

Happy New Year, everyone! It's back to work for me, even though I spent the last 3 days on the couch fighting the upper respiratory "crud." Feel like I'm on the up-swing, and I am a one-person department, so I can close my office door to prevent the spread of any germs, should I start coughing. I think I should invest in Mucinex and Kleenex stock!!!!

Christmas Eve was spent at the home of some good friends, and Christmas Day I hosted DD and DSIL and a couple of friends -- we had a wonderful meal and good conversation that lasted to near midnight. I also hosted a friend for "second night" (Christmas leftovers reconstructed) turned into a great "girls night," playing catch up, since her husband was under the weather, so just us girls.

If I still have energy when I get home, I'm going to start putting holiday decorations and serving pieces away. Christmas decor will all be down and stowed by Sunday night. I pulled the front door wreath yesterday -- one that my (late) DH got for us years ago, following the Christmas Day Parade (it was being discarded and he thought it was too beautiful to throw away). It will be discarded this year, since almost all of the pinecones and flowers fell off this year (even Gorilla glue didin't work) and the bow is severely faded. While I am sad to have to do this, it's another step forward .. next year will be a wreath of my choosing.

Looking forward to making 2019 a great year!

Best,
    Lori K

5. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Good morning all! The sun is shinning and it is in the 30's today.

Woke up at 6 and couldn't fall back to sleep so I let DH sleep in. Made french toast for breakfast, read the papers and wrote to my BFF in England. On the agenda for today is getting new tags for Buffy and hopefully a pedicure - I don't ask for much.

Lori - hope that you are feeling better. I've decided to wait and do a really good job putting my decorations away when we get back from FL.
    Pamela - i always kept myself busy when DH was deployed and the time passed - but I guess you know all this already:)
    Lana - you amaze me having so much shopping done already!
    Jess - sounds like a great Christmas day!
    Pam - bet that ham was great! I could really use a piece right now!

6. cmerth

cmerth Well-Known Member

Good morning all!!

Lana, books on sale sounds dangerous (I am a book lover)
    Pam, being away from your spouse doesn't sound fun. Extra hugs to you
    Lori, hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Debbie, enjoy your pedicure

I am back on my regular routine. When I got up the house was chilly.... I figured out why.... it was minute 2 degrees outside. Hubby has heaters for the jobsite so they should stay just above cold.

I forgot I was going to start deep cleaning my house again.... I found cobwebs in a corner in the living room. What?! Just doing ceilings this week. Also forgot to scrub the kitchen floor yesterday. I am so off schedule due to the holidays. I will get on track today hopefully.

Hubby's cousin had a baby this morning. It was a month early but I haven't heard if there were any complications... just that it is born and weighing 5 lbs.

I posted a bread recipe on my blog-- January is wheat bread month. I am off to read blogs and make some breakfast. Yeah Cream of Rice!!

7. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Morning all MHHers

LC1 wasn't feeling well so isn't here. DD has headed for a nap early. We have the Nurse coming for her quarterly visit this morning.

It's cold and windy today. I'm hoping I do not find an excuse to go outside. I'll send Dh for shopping. I've already updated the shopping list and worked on our weekly menu.

I ordered new file folders. The files are looking rather ratty so time to re-do them as I declutter the files and do taxes. Dh was talking about having the taxes done. I reminded him I still need Turbo Tax. He doesn't know about downloading it yet. And I need to download a Word program on this computer. And I have to figure out how to print from DD's Kindle Fire. Maybe I'll spend the day downloading things.

Have a great start on this first week of a New Year.

8. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

I was going to sleep in this morning but just couldn't. My nose was clogging and my head and neck are achy from the motorcycle yesterday. The wind was bad on the way back yesterday, whipping my head around like it was nothing. Good thing I go to the chiropractor this morning. I got up and took a shower and got ready for the day. I will just need to do my hair once it is completely dry. After I get back from my appointment, i'm going to take the kids to Ulta so DD can look around and use some of her gift card. Not sure we'll do anything else, probably just come home after. Sam's Club is right underneath in the shopping center but I don't think I need anything from there. This afternoon i'm going to a manapua making class hosted by one of the subclubs of the Spouses' Club. It's $5 and they are teaching us how to make them. It's a bun with pork inside.

Lana- Wow, you're already well into shopping!
    Pamela- So glad you all had that time together! I can't believe your couch still isn't there!
    Lori- So sorry you've been sick! Sounds like a wonderful Christmas.
    Debbie- Enjoy your pedicure!
    Carrie- Congrats to the cousin on the baby, hope everything is okay! Will check out the bread recipe.
    Diedra- I think I need to add going through my files to my list of things to do this month, thanks for the suggestion!

9. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Good morning. Baby it's cold outside! 27 deg with wind. These 2 old-men dogs beg to go out every 20 minutes, and then they hurry right back inside. Brrr.

DD is at work, and she woke me with a text asking if I want to go to Michael's tonight on our way to gymnastics. Well...yes! I'm excited - I have my list ready and gift card in my wallet.

We still have a ton of Christmas goodies. I have been nagging everyone to finish them so I can clean off the kitchen island. I think we are all done with the sweets. I complained to dsil last night and he said he would toss them out. I have my hidden stash of candy canes for Rudy Days.

Jess - I love the jar idea.
    Lana - That's some mighty fine shopping, and way to go on the bargains!
    Pamela - It takes a strong woman to handle those separations. Hopefully the time will pass quickly.
    Lori - It sounds like you had fun times with your friends. I hope you feel better soon.
    Halimer - A pedicure sounds sooooo nice.
    Cmerth - Freshly made bread is the best! Cream of rice sounds pretty good too.
    Deidre - It sounds like you have your day set out for you...lots of computer work and organizing. That's what I need to do.

It's pretty quiet upstairs. Dgd is probably still asleep, and I'm sure dgs is quietly watching TV. He knows he isn't allowed until after breakfast and chores. Sigh.

It's time for me to get off the couch and figure out something for breakfast. Have a great day everyone.

10. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

You sound just like my Mom. I help her save her dollars and she says she can do more because she didn't spend what she planned. I tell her to look at the cost of the item on sale and go from there. No one has to know she got if for so much less. I just got 70 Christmas cards that you would pay $3.00 each for from someone that was selling them for $5.00. That is a savings of $205.00. She also has more of the everyday cards and special occasion. I am going to put together a list of what I need and give her a call. I will give these to Mom as she mails out cards to everyone for their birthdays.

I was up at 8 and did some Bible reading. I called the bank to fix an issue which took longer than expected. After DH is done watching his art show we are heading to the library and Target. Oops show is over ttyl.

11. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Good afternoon.
    I have been so stinkin tired lately. Don't know why. Today I plan on putting away gifts, and put away all the groceries I bought yesterday. Don't know where, but not sure where that space is going to come from. Sigh

I don't know if I will put away my sewing machine or not. Right now, I am not in the mood to sew at all. I made a neck pillow for Melanie out of minky cloth. I had heard that it was difficult to sew with. Not a problem with the machine. I stuffed it, and then sewed the opening shut. Good grief! THAT was very difficult to do. I like to sew things shut so that you can't see the stitching at all. By the time I was an inch from finishing, I was ready to throw it out the door! Merciful heavens! So I don't know if I want to sew anytime soon.

There are lots of things to be washed by hand. I keep my sugar and flour in glass jars from Walmart. I need to get them cleaned out so I can put new, fresh things in them. Good times.

Hope you are all having a good day. Yes, I did get to finally have lunch yesterday. I got a turkey/cranberry wrap. SO GOOD. I love that sandwich. Next time tho, I am going to ask that the onion be left off. I like onion on a sandwich, but now, they don't like me! How rude! Whatever did I do to an onion?

Ok kids, I gotta get busy. Our weather is yucky again...cloudy and cold! Blech! Talk to you all soon.

12. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Afternoon
    Last guests left before lunch (not really guests as it wass dd & her boyfriend).
    We had a good nY's eve party and even crazy SIL was mostly good. I had a cold as did 2 sils, so sil with cancer treatment did not come - dh did bring her supper though. MIL did come but seems if she catches a cold we will hear about it (she is 91... old enough to decide if she wants to come or not and it is her bday on the 31st of decmeber)
    Went to bed around 2:00, upa at 8:00, almost everyone left before lunch... they went to visit ds's house.
    Last night we went to ds's house for NY's supper (we got some chicken and brought it there with chocolate fondue and fruits). DH did visit his uncle for yearly visite yesterday afternoon, but I skipped this year (1st time!), just too much of a cold. Usually on NY'S we go have super with MIL & SIL (with cancer) but we skipped because of my colad and ddil's cold.
    1st good night's sleep last night but woke up coughing and it hurts my chest. Been putting a mustard plaster on my chest. Have been picking up and dedecorating. will finish tomorrow. dh mopped kitchen and kitchenette floors and started working in bathroom but felt nauseous and is now sleeping. I should be sleeping too, but just too much to do. I need to make a list.
    At least most of the basement is cleaned and half the upstairs. Been decluttering some too.

Later

13. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Hello again!

Well, we accomplished everything we set out to do! Buffy has new tags and after my pedicure my feet are just glorious!

DH's friend/former co-worker came over to fix one of our light switches - the one that lights up the stairs to the basement - and we all chatted to a while. DH has been puttering around with the camper and we have decided to leave on Friday. I am pretty well packed .

Lucie - you really have to rest since you are not feeling up to par
    Pam - I have the same problem finding places to put food away after I buy it
    Diedra - taxes - Ugh!
    Deb - lucky you going to Michael's
    Jody - great deal on the cards
    Carrie - hope you get warm and stay warm
    Jess - how did the manapua turn out? I've never had one but it sounds good

14. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

I need to wrap as I go and that would be so much less stressful!

15. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Evening!

The chiropractor put everything back in place this morning and the STEM felt wonderful. I came home and grabbed DD and we dropped about 4 packages off to UPS and then went to Ulta. She soon realized that there isn't as much in the store that she likes as she thought so a $50 gift card was going to be hard to spend. She's not into makeup or hair tools or anything like that. She did find some shower gel/shampoo/bubble bath that smelled amazing, spray lotion, and conditioner. That should have brought her to just over $40 but all of it was on sale so the total was like $30 and some change. On the way to the checkout she saw the perfume she's been wanting but it was $42 so she opted to keep the items she had already picked instead.

We came home and relaxed and then DH came home and we didn't do much of anything. I went to my class and DH and the kids went to Best Buy to buy cameras for the house. They were home by the time I got home. We now have a camera in the front and one in the back. The manapua class was interesting. I didn't care for the pork filling much and would like it better with a different type of filling but the bread was delicious. It's close to a basic bread dough if not the same thing and then you roll pieces out in a small circle and put your filling in. Then you go around the top pinching as you go to close it. You have to steam them for 10 minutes at high and then turn down to medium for 5 minutes and then let them sit for another while without opening the lid. I don't have a steamer but she sent me home with dough anyway, so I put it in the freezer for now. I also brought home some cooked manapua for DH to try. I think he'll like them.

Looks like our microwave isn't working, no wonder it wouldn't heat up my bean dip the other night. We'll have to call in a work order tomorrow.

16. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

The manapua sounds good. I’ll have to see if I can find some gluten free dough. I have a good recipe for pork so I’ll try that in them. Thanks for sharing.

17. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good afternoon. Just getting on here now to say hi. It is 4.30pm and I am ready for bed. I am so sleepy, maybe because it is so hot.
    Enchiladas for dinner, a quick and easy dinner. I feel like I should invite the kids but am not feeling up to entertaining.
    Went to the mall this morning, did groceries and started getting gifts and stocking fillers.
    KMart had some great buys so I got a few things from there.

Going to have a quick rest,