Best organizing tip

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
My tip is to put the things where they belong.
All what you need daily must be on hand. What you need only once a week
could stand farther and what you need saisonal like cookie cutters or large pots
could lay in the cellar/ attic or stand back in the cupboard.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
My tip would be the 5 minute pick-up. Each night before bed and after the kids are in bed, I do a five minute pick up of all the things that are out of place. Any dishes that are in the sink go in the dishwasher, the pillows go back on the couches, magazines in the holders, blankets in the closet, toys in the baskets, etc.

It makes mornings brighter and keeps the house neat.

:jumpinghearts:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Thanks for starting this thread!
Just this week I've started making my to do list at night. I section my page into quarters and give each quarter a title; Have to do/want to do, have to do/don't want to do, don't have to do/want to do, and don't have to do/don't want to do. In the morning I have found myself trying to get as many 'have to do/ don't want to do's done as I can; although the really bad ones I still procrastinate a bit!. Then through the day I reward myself for doing a 'don't want to do' with a 'want to do'. Seems to be working so far!? Did I make any sense? need... coffee... :thud:

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
Quick pick-up before bed does give one a sense of tranquility when the craziness of the mornings start.

Also, jot down anything in DayPlanner that needs to be done and peruse over the things in the Planner that didn't get done and move them to top of list for next day.

Pippi

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
What is so helpful to me is having a housework regime. I have a checklist and stick to it....most of the time! My household notebook has been a big help in organizing where important papers are kept. And yes, having a place for things and making sure they are returned to their homes!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Have somewhere to put things away. By that, I mean make sure you have a proper place to put things away when you clean up. For example, DVDs go in a drawer in my hutch, not on top of the tv. If you have places to put things, you are more likely to put them away and can find them when you need to.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Everything that's been listed, I TRY to do too. I've been on a decluttering kick and it really helps to keep things clean and organized when there just isn't as much to clean and organize.

I think the thing I do that helps my sanity the most is my weekly "Family Chaos Sheet". I print a new one each week and hang it inside a kitchen cabinet door. It lists my menus for the week, my daily and weekly cleaning routines, and has space for a running to do and reminder list for the week.

thood

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
One thing that I'm focusing on is meal planning. I have made it my goal to try and plan my meals a week ahead. This frees up time normally spent trying to figure out what to cook each day and running to the store. Planning my meals ahead will allow me to make one trip to the store, set anything out the night before that needs to thaw and waking up not having to spend the day trying to figure out what to fix for supper, because I already have five meals to choose from.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I agree, Noelsmommy! I grew up in a wonderfully creative household where nothing was ever gotten rid of. Scraps of fabric, clothes that didn't fit, things that were purchased but didn't work for some reason, all were saved 'in case'. I have to admit that the items often came in handy, but the expense was that there was no place to put anything. Since I've given myself the freedom to give things away/throw things out, I have much more peace in my home. SOMETIMES I regret something that I've 'set free', but usually I don't think of it again. Getting rid of clutter brings peace!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Thood~

http://orgjunkie.com has a wonderful thread of moms who share their menus every Monday. It's called Menu Plan Monday. You may want to check it out. I've been planning our menu for years, but I've gotten some great tips from the participants.

Lisa :bigsnow:

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
Holiday Joy said:
I agree, Noelsmommy! I grew up in a wonderfully creative household where nothing was ever gotten rid of. Scraps of fabric, clothes that didn't fit, things that were purchased but didn't work for some reason, all were saved 'in case'. I have to admit that the items often came in handy, but the expense was that there was no place to put anything. Since I've given myself the freedom to give things away/throw things out, I have much more peace in my home. SOMETIMES I regret something that I've 'set free', but usually I don't think of it again. Getting rid of clutter brings peace!

Holiday I am the same way! It has taken me to be 35, have 3 kids and a small house that it just creates stress and disaray! Mainly I keep ridiculous things like every school paper for sentimental reasons, and I have to realize when they are 45 they arn't going to care that they got a smiley face on a math paper...lol Well, maybe I'll keep a few each, just not all!!!

Thanks for indentifying!

Kelly :bigsnow:

I agree with all of you on the trying to declutter. It is still a work in progress for me but I think I can achieve it. I am a clearance junkie and take home alot of junk I think I can use and then just wind up storing it in my room til I have no more spaces to place them. By the end of the month I hope to have sorted it all out and found homes for the items without cluttering up my bedroom!!!

This is going to be my biggest challenge in a long time so wish me luck!!!

snowowl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I donated all but a few special ornaments to the thrift store just after Christmas, then went out and bought new ones at 50/75% off. My best organizing tip is ?????????????? hhmmmmmm. Duh! :bigsnow:

thood

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
Thanks Teachermom. I'll check it out. I know my family will appreciate some variety to my menus.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I did the menu plan for about 2 months before Xmas (then I ran out of time to do everything), but I can tell you it's a great idea. You save time and money and you don't end up saying "what are we gonna eat tonight?". I'm starting again this week. And when you go on organized junkie you can see how others are coping and there are also recipes.