Best organizing tip

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Strategy for DeClutter...

One tip I can share with decluttering is one used on another board I used to belong to. Set yourself a target of how many items you want to declutter and set a deadline. For example, get rid of 50 items within 30 days or 40 items by January 31st or whatever you think suits you. You can donate or throw out or give away, but for the purpose of decluttering those items need to leave by your deadline. A lot of the ladies found it more manageable to look at it that way instead of tackling a crowded room.

The last time I did this, my list looked something like....3 pairs of shorts, two sweaters, an empty can for tennis balls, five unmatched socks that weren't paired when all the laundry was done and house was clean, a half full bottle of lotion I don't use....It works and you'll be surprised how much goes. I actually set a target of 50 by the end of the month at the time and had to reset my target and date before the end of the month when I passed fifty.

:jumpinghearts:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I've had an idea that I haven't actually implimented, but I think it would work . . . I'm the kind of person that has trouble getting rid of things. I think if I put some items in a box that I don't use and put a date on it and put it away, I could give DH permission to dispose of the box without opening after 1 year. If I didn't need something in it within that time, I probably wouldn't miss it and wouldn't remember what was in the box anyway. As I'm being "forced" to sort some items being stored in our garage, I may employ this strategy.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Great idea, DahliaDoll.
I've heard a similar one. Place the box in the trunk of your car for month. If you haven't needed anything, stop by Goodwill and leave it the next time you're out. The box is already waiting for you in the car.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
:happynewyear:

Everyone recommends doing a "sweep" at night - putting things way - so the morning is brighter. But I am always exhausted before I go to bed, and really couldn't do it.

Duh. It doesn't have to be IMMEDIATELY before going to bed. I started doing my nightly sweeps early - 6:00 or so. Then I tried to keep things up for the rest of the night. I started doing sweeps at any time during the day, too. That really worked for me.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My tip is--Do not give up!

Our houses didn't get dis-organized over night and it will take awhile to become decluttered and organized.

Jessica

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
SW Georgia
Well, everyone already took my tips, so let me think....

Bins & Cubes!!

My DS(2) loves to look at his books, problem is they don't go back on the shelf, he gets mad because they won't stack. So, I bought these collapsable fabric cubes and now he can pick his books back up and put them some where tidy and useful for him. I've also got a few other bins of different colors and he can help pick up other toys too, b/c he can drag the cube around with him and when you put the cube away, it looks nice too!

:jumpinghearts:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Okay here goes for this month... at my DD's school they are asking us to donate old shoes (sandals, etc..) to send to Guatemala.... I gave up 1 pair yesterday & another today..... wow might just keep on going on!!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
My tip, before you bring something new into your home, get rid of something old. That way you're not piling up and piling up with new things while still holding onto the old things that are no good or not used anymore. This is especially helpful with furniture, clothes, and toys.

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
Lists, lists and more lists. I tend to get the uumph to do things if it is written down!

christmascreations said:
I agree with all of you on the trying to declutter. It is still a work in progress for me but I think I can achieve it. I am a clearance junkie and take home alot of junk I think I can use and then just wind up storing it in my room til I have no more spaces to place them. By the end of the month I hope to have sorted it all out and found homes for the items without cluttering up my bedroom!!!

This is going to be my biggest challenge in a long time so wish me luck!!!

Okay I didn't do so well in January but February is looking very bright so far!!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
C'on CC I know you can do it!!!!!!!!!!! I made it thru this craft room--so I know you can do your room. Still alittle material to sort. told DD we need to do some blankets for Project Linus or donate the material. Last year I gave yarn and thread that I had laying around.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is a nice, helpful thread. There are so many encouraging, good-hearted people on this board! So many people who want us to feel better and keep going! When we think of good things, we should count our friends on this board! We all enjoy each others' company, and we all wish each other well! :grouphug:

goldenqueenalicia

Retire Member
Jul 16, 2008
my advice for decluttering is to ask yourself
1. Do I love this
2. Do I need this
3. Do I have sentilmental attachments to this
You don't have to get rid of anything you don't want to but if you keep in mind Is this blessing my family somehow its easier to let things go

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Some good tips in this thread.
One of the problems I find in decluttering is not remembering if I got rid of something or not and then wasting time trying to find it. So I guess I should try that one suggestion of getting rid of stuff and listing it. Before my recent attempts to organize using notebooks and helpful advice from MMH, I would have forgotten where that list was and had to look for that too. :slap:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Deckr8 -- I think that problem MIGHT take care of itself, as you declutter more and more. Eventually, it will be much easier to see what you DO have. And every time you have to search for something, it will show you more stuff you are ready to declutter.

I get great satisfaction seeing bags of stuff go into the trash. However, I seem to have an unlimited amount of stuff to get rid of. ::eek:rnament:

zchristy

Santa's Elves
CanadianJingles said:
Strategy for DeClutter...

One tip I can share with decluttering is one used on another board I used to belong to. Set yourself a target of how many items you want to declutter and set a deadline. For example, get rid of 50 items within 30 days or 40 items by January 31st or whatever you think suits you. You can donate or throw out or give away, but for the purpose of decluttering those items need to leave by your deadline. A lot of the ladies found it more manageable to look at it that way instead of tackling a crowded room.

The last time I did this, my list looked something like....3 pairs of shorts, two sweaters, an empty can for tennis balls, five unmatched socks that weren't paired when all the laundry was done and house was clean, a half full bottle of lotion I don't use....It works and you'll be surprised how much goes. I actually set a target of 50 by the end of the month at the time and had to reset my target and date before the end of the month when I passed fifty.

I read an interesting blog where a guy is doing something similar - he is attempting to pare down his life to 100 personal items. It's a great discussion! He has a facebook group too.

http://www.guynameddave.com/

:applause:

That is a good idea (the 100 thing link) BUT when you have kids it is sooo hard to accomplish!!! Yet if we were evacuated from our homes do we not take just a few things far less than 100.

With all these hurricanes brewing it really has me thinking about having an emergency bag and list set up to grab irreplaceable items like pictures and homemade items from my boys. It definitely would be less than 100 items (with the exception of photos...lol) Definitely something to truly consider!!!