Big Family Reunion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by girlsinmo, Dec 27, 2009.

1. girlsinmo

girlsinmo New Member

My DD and I are in the beginning stages of putting together a BIG family reunion. We are inviting all my grandpa's(on my dad side) brothers & sister's(grandpa & his sibling are all died) kids and grandkids.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Types of food, activities to do anything?

We plan on having it in early June, with picnic type foods as well as letting anyone bring anything they like to. This could be quite large with kinfolk we haven't seen in years as well as some we've never met.

I have already contacted my dad & some of his siblings. As well as one of my dads uncle's daughters.

I'd love to read any thoughts, ideas, experiences you have with family reunions.

Thanks

2. sew-n-sew

sew-n-sew New Member

Do your research well and the planning goes easier. Read Mr Spiffy at family-reunion.com for lots of ideas for all stages: planning, day-of and follow-up.

The key is to have something to do for all ages, but not be overscheduled so people can relax and get to know each other.

Where are you having the reunion? Are there things to do that you don't have to plan like fishing, swimming, etc? If there are older people or disabled, is the site easily accessible?

Are you providing the main meal? Make sure to ask if anyone has special considerations, like no-sugar or peanut allergies. If you send invitations you can ask them to respond by mail or email with a short form that includes anything like that you need to know. It helps to know how many of each age range are coming, too.

Make sure to have a sign-in sheet to collect as much contact informations as possible and have everyone wear name tags.

If you have genealogists coming, you can print out the family tree and put it on a table with pens so people can fill in information or you can have them fill individual family sheets if there are lots of people.

I love family reunions. You can choose a theme, too, but it's not necessary. Have fun and make sure you have enough helpers to enjoy the day yourself.

3. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

I'm off to read that link that sew-n-sew gave.

4. girlsinmo

girlsinmo New Member

Thank you sew-n-sew. I have Mister Spiffy pulled up now going to read around it. Some of the things you mention we had thought of but some of them are good ideas that we hadn't thought of. I knew the ladies here would be a wealth of help.

5. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

We're the "hosts" of this year's reunion...each family is taking a year and it is our year. I can't wait to find out ideas too! We do a potluck each August, but the main meat dish is provided...sometimes it's burgers and dogs, other times it is ham and turkey, one year it was cold cuts. I'm hoping to do fried and bbq chicken this year. We do have a notebook for contacts. I am planning on doing a facebook group page for those of us who are computer literate. We also put out a donation jar....it's used to pay for the pavillion and the meat the coming year. DH and I will probably donate the money for the meat or just purchase it. The quality the past few years hasn't been all that. Oh and we share photo albums. It's pretty informal.

6. girlsinmo

girlsinmo New Member

Thank you Lisa for sharing your experience. I'm learning things I never thought about. Look forward to reading more.